News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-95 Delaware River Scudder Falls bridge replacement (toll?)

Started by mightyace, December 22, 2009, 08:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 18, 2012, 10:18:45 PM
Quote from: NE2 on July 18, 2012, 10:07:06 PM
Is Trenton the closest that a free and toll bridge completely crossing the same river get?

can't imagine much closer, unless you want to count two separate spans of a bridge as different bridges... i.e. you pay a toll in one direction, but not the other, on a twin bridge setup.

I believe I-295 across the Delaware does this?  I simply cannot remember if there is a toll in precisely one direction, though.

Damn - forgot the "same direction" qualifier. And of course toll for motor vehicles - there are free sidewalks next to many toll bridges.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

agentsteel53

Quote from: NE2 on July 18, 2012, 11:22:24 PM
Damn - forgot the "same direction" qualifier. And of course toll for motor vehicles - there are free sidewalks next to many toll bridges.

I looked up the Delaware Memorial Bridge and it is indeed a toll in one direction only.

I knew exactly what your question intended, but I figured a pedantic answer would do.  :sombrero:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

jeffandnicole

Across all of NJ, if the bridge has a toll, it's tolled leaving NJ only.

The benefit of I-295 (Delaware Memorial Bridge) is that it's $4 to cross.  The next 4 bridges to the north are owned by a different authority, and they are $5 to cross.

Other than I-95, the free bridges are only 1 lane per direction, usually with a 15 or 25 mph speed limit.

PHLBOS

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 18, 2012, 10:18:45 PM
Is Trenton the closest that a free and toll bridge completely crossing the same river get?

can't imagine much closer, unless you want to count two separate spans of a bridge as different bridges... i.e. you pay a toll in one direction, but not the other, on a twin bridge setup.

I believe I-295 across the Delaware does this?  I simply cannot remember if there is a toll in precisely one direction, though.
I-295 across the Delaware is the Delaware Memorial Bridge (the NJ Turnpike & US 40 merge w/I-295 prior to the bridge on the Jersey side) which has a one-way toll for traffic leaving NJ.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

KEVIN_224

Yep! I was last on that bridge on June 3rd. The toll plaza is on the New Castle, DE (west/south) side of the bridge. I know the bridge itself is I-295 and US Route 40.

As for the NJ Turnpike and I-295? Without looking over Google Maps, it was tough to see where the exact southern end of the New Jersey Turnpike was. I know there's an unnumbered exit southbound after the Turnpike toll plaza. I consider it to be the Turnpike's Exit 1. My guess is it was done this way (unnumbered) since I-295's Exit 1 in Pennsville, NJ isn't that far from here. Adding to the confusion is US Route 40 leaving/joining near the Turnpike/I-295 merge.

To better illustrate the above: http://goo.gl/maps/B2fs

NE2

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 19, 2012, 09:32:53 AM
Except Dingmans Ferry, I think.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

signalman

qguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 19, 2012, 09:32:53 AM

Well someone's gotta say it: They toll people who want to get out because if they only tolled people who want to get in, they'd never make a dime.

:rolleyes:  I know, I know.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...

Alps

Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 18, 2012, 07:46:03 PM
Quote from: Steve on December 29, 2009, 12:44:26 AM
The US 1 "free" bridge has been set up to be difficult to get to SB and avoid the toll - the last exit doesn't allow left turns.  Calhoun St. is easier to find but more time-consuming.  Next bridge up is Washington's Crossing, which doesn't make sense for many travelers.

(yes I know I'm quoting an old post)

The left turn ban at the Warren St. exit must have been recent. I used to take it all the time when I was in the area. The alternate route isn't so bad though, just take Shepherd St. and make a left onto William Treat Place to get back to Bridge St.
It must have been temporary, because you can certainly make the left turn now.

Phillipsburg is going to give Trenton a run for its money with "free 22" (original route) and tolled 22.

jeffandnicole

It appears at the furthest distance on the PA side of the river, US 1 is about 700 feet away from the Trenton Makes Bridge (on the NJ side, the bridge is only about 350 feet away). http://goo.gl/maps/LjxB

In Phillipsburg, the bridges are about 900 feet away from each other.

jeffandnicole

http://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/news/local/scudder-falls-bridge-improvement-project-open-house-draws-more-than/article_2a0aa290-9a1c-11e5-9243-c7051844c01d.html?mode=story

There was a public meeting last regarding the Scudder Falls Bridge Replacement.  It's scheduled to go to construction in 2017 (We'll see about that...).  Within the article are some images of what the highway and interchanges will look like.

It doesn't appear anyone mentioned that it's not going to be I-95 by the time the project is done.  That'll just be one other thing for the residents to complain about!!!

mariethefoxy

it sucks they gotta toll it, that was a roundabout shunpike that saved me money from going all the way to the bottom end of the turnpike and the delaware memorial bridge

Zeffy

Double roundabouts... Hopefully motorists won't fail like they do navigating our traffic circles?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

odditude

Quote from: Zeffy on December 04, 2015, 05:38:27 PM
Double roundabouts... Hopefully motorists won't fail like they do navigating our traffic circles?
it really can't be much worse than the current situation, with exit and entrance ramps crossing multiple times.

Zeffy

Quote from: odditude on December 04, 2015, 05:47:15 PM
Quote from: Zeffy on December 04, 2015, 05:38:27 PM
it really can't be much worse than the current situation, with exit and entrance ramps crossing multiple times.

Not at all - are they planning to eliminate the stop sign going from 29 to 95 SB?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

The on ramps will have full lanes across the bridge, so no more stop signs!

Alex

Prep work begins for new Scudder Falls Bridge

QuotePreparation work to make way for the construction of the new Scudder Falls Bridge began Monday, bridge officials said.

Crews began clearing trees, logs, dead trees and other vegetation and debris at certain sections on both sides of Interstate 95 between the Route 332 and Taylorsville Road in Lower Makefield, Pa.

QuoteThe work will allow noise-reducing walls to be installed on the Pennsylvania side later this spring, officials said.

Other tree-clearing work on the New Jersey side is expected to take place in the fall.

QuoteConstruction is expected to begin in early 2017 on the new twin span between Lower Makefield, Pa., and Ewing and take up to four years to complete.

74/171FAN

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 04, 2015, 02:59:41 PM
It doesn't appear anyone mentioned that it's not going to be I-95 by the time the project is done.  That'll just be one other thing for the residents to complain about!!!

Well the only time I have heard about this project while at PENNDOT so far, the person talking about the project did not mention that either. 
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

odditude

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 08, 2016, 06:12:11 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 04, 2015, 02:59:41 PM

Well the only time I have heard about this project while at PENNDOT so far, the person talking about the project did not mention that either.

the FAQ page on the previous version of the project site addressed the change in designation.

edit: post 295 about I-295, woo

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Philly.com ArticleStarting in 2019, the no-tollbooth system would clip drivers either $1.25 (E-ZPass) or $2.60 (Big Brother would record pass-less drivers' tags and bill them by mail). Regular commuters would get a discount. Truck tolls would range from $7 to $33. Only southbound drivers would pay. Going to New Jersey would be free.
I believe this is the first news article that actually lists what the tolls rates will be.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

odditude

PHLBOS

Thread Bump and I'm surprised that nobody chimed in on such yet.

The new tolls for the Scudder Falls Bridge (I-295) is scheduled to take effect this July 10.

All-Electronic Tolling on the Scudder Falls Toll Bridge

Truth be told, the listed toll rates aren't too expensive and at least there's no transponder discrimination taking place; i.e. the E-ZPass rate applies for all tagholders regardless of which agency issued such.

However, the additional commuter discounts only apply to certain agency-issued E-ZPass accounts.

Quote from: Scudder Falls Bridge website, Q&A sectionThere will be a 40-percent frequency-based commuter discount for Class 1 passenger vehicles outfitted with an operational toll transponder issued and administered by the entity that processes toll transactions at the Commission's toll bridges.  That entity is the New Jersey E-ZPass Customer Service Center — a.k.a. NJ E-ZPass Group – a regional toll processor serving seven transportation agencies operating in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Delaware.  The service center is operated by Conduent Incorporated.
The reason the Commission's commuter discount can be applied only to an E-ZPass transponder issued and administered by the New Jersey E-ZPass Customer Service Center (a.k.a. NJ E-ZPass Group) is because that is the entity that processes the Commission's toll transactions.  The discount can thereby be tracked, tabulated and automatically applied to the respective eligible motorist's DRJTBC-affiliated E-ZPass account.  E-ZPass accounts/transponders administered or issued by the Pennsylvania Turnpike, the New York Thruway, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, or any other E-ZPass-issuing agency are not eligible for the discount because their respective toll-processing systems are independent of the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission's toll processor.

More Q&A-related info regarding tolls & which E-ZPass accounts are eligible for commuter discounts (& which nearby-agency-issued ones are not) can be found here.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

odditude

Courtesy of Zeffy on the NJ thread:

Quote from: Zeffy on June 25, 2019, 04:57:27 PM
Sorry for the garbage dash-cam photos, but I saw these lying around heading into PA on the Scudders Falls Bridge. They've actually made a fair amount of work in the past couple of months.

PHLBOS

Quote from: odditude on June 25, 2019, 05:13:54 PM
Courtesy of Zeffy on the NJ thread:

Quote from: Zeffy on June 25, 2019, 04:57:27 PM
Sorry for the garbage dash-cam photos, but I saw these lying around heading into PA on the Scudders Falls Bridge. They've actually made a fair amount of work in the past couple of months.

*Facepalm* on that BGS legend below the PAY TOLL 2 MILES sign. 

IMHO, it would be better to either have similar signage to what the NYS Thruway (I-87/287) has on approaching the Tappan Zee with a 2 MILES (or 2 MILES AHEAD) in the main sign legend or maintain similar to what's shown above but eliminate the additional/redundant I-295 shield and the confusing, alternating direction cardinals so that the panel simply reads:

TOLL 2 MILES              (IMHO, the term PAY implies stopping at a toll plaza)
             SOUTH
295  TO   95
Philadelphia
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.