The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

freebrickproductions

Well, I guess I know where I'm taking my non-existent flamethrower next. :ded:
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

I love how it's all in FHWA, except for the numbers. The one crucial thing that really ought to be in FHWA (although Clearview numerals don't bother me quite like they bother some others).

freebrickproductions

Just noticed the extra-wide kerning on the N O R T H as well...  X-(
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Scott5114

It's not even consistent kerning. The N is trying to sneak off to the left because even it's embarrassed to be involved in this atrocity of a road sign.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CYoder

And here I was thinking this sign was bad...

CNGL-Leudimin

I've introduced Craig County to SkyscraperCity :sombrero:. Now, if I knew where are the other two signs of the OP, or that CONCESSiONS one...
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kkt

Quote from: mrsman on August 20, 2017, 06:50:26 AM
It's certainly very funny.

But we're laughing AT the sign, not WITH the sign.

Scott5114

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 12, 2017, 05:38:05 PM
I've introduced Craig County to SkyscraperCity :sombrero:. Now, if I knew where are the other two signs of the OP, or that CONCESSiONS one...

The S.E. 44th Street one is at S.E. 44th and Sooner Road in Oklahoma City.

Exit 8 was on I-240 eastbound at, surprise, exit 8. It's been fixed for a few years.

The Concessions sign was on the Cherokee Turnpike in Mayes County. It was replaced between 2007 and 2012.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 7/8 on September 06, 2017, 09:16:55 PM
Acorn shields for US 11/15 in Harrisburg, PA area along Cumberland Blvd. Each side of the road had the same ugly sign :pan:

Left side

Right side

Dear God, those are the worst acorn shields yet.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Brandon

Acorn shields for US 11/15 in Harrisburg, PA area along Cumberland Blvd. Each side of the road had the same ugly sign :pan:

Left side

Right side

They look planned, but horribly executed.  These have to be some of the worst US highway shields mixed with bad kerning, mixed with a major misuse of Clearview and FHWA.  Yeah, they belong here.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Not as bad as Craig County, but it is the county line sign in the opposite direction for "Mayes county".
https://goo.gl/maps/w353W2EJajH2
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

akotchi

Left side

Right side

One can only hope they get knocked down by a snow plow this winter . . . any volunteers?
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Scott5114

Someone with some time on their hands should really ask OkDOT what's up with that Craig County sign.

I would but they won't answer my emails.

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 27, 2017, 01:08:58 PM
Someone with some time on their hands should really ask OkDOT what's up with that Craig County sign.

I would but they won't answer my emails.

On Google's streetview, it's still there as of late 2016 (along with the Mayes County sign for the other direction).

chays

Shocking that Disney would mess this up.  I found this on one of my friend's Facebook feeds.  He works there and I have no reason to doubt its authenticity.  Apparently taken today and still up.

freebrickproductions

What's wrong with it? Disney is known for having vastly non-standard (and even ugly) signs.

(They/Them)

jakeroot

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 28, 2017, 02:39:06 AM
What's wrong with it? Disney is known for having vastly non-standard (and even ugly) signs.

It's not posted in the right thread (should go in design errors, I think), but "Epcot" is spelled wrong.

chays

Quote from: jakeroot on September 28, 2017, 03:42:43 AM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 28, 2017, 02:39:06 AM

It's not posted in the right thread (should go in design errors, I think), but "Epcot" is spelled wrong.
Yes, the spelling is what makes this Worst of.  I honestly wasn't sure which thread to place this and it was pretty egregious so I chose here.

Scott5114

The non-standardness alone is enough to make it Worst Of, in my estimation.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 28, 2017, 11:48:12 AM

Speaking of on-standardization has anyone here ever posted anything related to military signage standards?  I've found that the signage in or near military installations deviates just as far from the MUTCD as private entities or the National Park Service do.

thenetwork

Except for the misspelling of Epcot, they look as good or better than many signs found along airport service roads.

J N Winkler

This leaflet has the basics of signing on Army posts, with some references:

https://www.sddc.army.mil/sites/TEA/Functions/SpecialAssistant/TrafficEngineeringBranch/Bulletins/SDDCTEA_Bulletin_TrafficSigns_2007-12.pdf

The main traffic signing manual (a de facto MUTCD supplement for the military) is PAM 55-14, and does not appear to be online.  There is a separate manual, PAM 55-15, which deals with traffic engineering for entry checkpoints.

https://www.sddc.army.mil/sites/TEA/Functions/SpecialAssistant/TrafficEngineeringBranch/Pages/pamphlets.aspx

Edit:  I have now been told that PAM 55-14 has been superseded by PAM 55-17, downloadable at the URL immediately above.  It includes a number of pattern-accurate illustrations of custom signs for military applications, all in the MUTCD sign coding scheme with "TEA" suffixes.  E.g., W3-10a-TEA is "Checkpoint Ahead," W11-28-TEA is "Tank Crossing," and R16-5a-TEA is "Use Parking Lights At Gate."
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jeffandnicole

If they were a traditional BGS it wouldn't be standard anyway, since you're only supposed to list cities/towns.

By default, for Disney's purposes, the sign can't be standard.

cjk374

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 28, 2017, 01:52:03 PM

If they were a traditional BGS it wouldn't be standard anyway, since you're only supposed to list cities/towns.

By default, for Disney's purposes, the sign can't be standard.

And...Disney should know how to properly spell the name of its attractions.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

7/8

I personally find these signs to be needlessly confusing (both of these were taken on Chemin Lucerne in Mont-Royal, QC):

Instead of saying which direction you can't turn and at what time, it tells which directions you can only go during the time frame. In other words, for the second example, you can only go straight at noon, but at midnight, you can go also make turns.

I think this is confusing because it could imply to tourists that you can't go straight outside the specified hours, which isn't true.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.