News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

WI-26 Upgrade Report

Started by SEWIGuy, April 30, 2010, 04:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: jwags on September 27, 2015, 09:26:06 PM
Quote from: JREwing78 on September 27, 2015, 08:38:16 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 20, 2015, 05:04:20 PM
The section of WI-26 from just north of WI-60 through the WI-16/60 interchange has opened up.  (Drove it today.)  This is the last remaining section to open on the massive WI-26 expansion project from Janesville to this location.  The inside lanes are still closed because they are doing some guardrail and shoulder work, but my guess is all four lanes will be open in a couple weeks.

The only issue that I see is that there are no BGS signs at the WI-26/16/60 interchange.  Just black and white directional signs.  I think a BGS with Columbus and Hartford as control cities would have been appropriate.

I would be surprised if BGS signs don't appear eventually there. The rest of the highway to that point has them at interchanges.

I figured they were close to opening Hwy 26 north of the Hwy 16/60 interchange when I drove up at the end of August - the roadbed was prepared for paving then. I have to drive through there Thursday; it'll be neat to see the finished product.

Just drove through there today and there is a BGS heading northbound with an exit number assigned but not southbound. The control cities were Columbus and Hustisford (covered because 60 EB is closed at the interchange). Rest of BGS signs will probably be installed next week. It also appears that they are putting in reduced speed limit signs near the overpass which would make it seem that the road will be 65 once complete.

Sweet!  Thanks for the update guys.

GeekJedi

Finally the section around WI-60 is done, and the cones are gone. The speed limit through the area is set at 65. If I'm not mistaken, that pretty much wraps up any type of expansion of WI-26 for the foreseeable future.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

JREwing78

Good deal! This is much like how the Hwy 26 expansion wrapped up between Fort Atkinson and Milton - the 65 mph limits weren't set until all construction activities were completed. It was especially hard this summer to not get nailed with a speeding ticket north of Watertown with the 55 mph limits up and in force.

Even before the Hwy 16/60 exit was completed, Hwy 26 -> County A (Dodge County) -> US-151 was a much calmer (and probably quicker) route from Janesville and points south than I-39/90 -> US-151. The Hwy 16/60 exit fixes the biggest problem with Hwy 26 north of Watertown (aside from having to go through Rosendale).

Given current budgetary issues (and the recent redo of Hwy 26 between US-151 and US-41), it'll probably be at least 10-15 years before serious effort to complete 4-laning Hwy 26 is undertaken.

GeekJedi

I still think that they should route WI-26 up CTH-A instead of it's current alignment through Juneau. It seems like most people take that way anyway.

I also don't understand why they haven't removed WI-26 from the "city" routing in Waupun. That could easily be a business routing, or removed altogether.

JREwing78

Quote from: GeekJedi on November 21, 2015, 10:03:07 PM
I still think that they should route WI-26 up CTH-A instead of it's current alignment through Juneau. It seems like most people take that way anyway.

I also don't understand why they haven't removed WI-26 from the "city" routing in Waupun. That could easily be a business routing, or removed altogether.

Agreed on both counts. The stretch through Juneau could be a newly-designated state highway, or even a county highway.

GeekJedi

I would think that it would be a county road since WisDOT doesn't like to add mileage without taking it away from somewhere else.

mgk920

The part of current WI 26 between County 'A' and WI 33 should be renumbered as an extension of WI 28 while the part from there north to Waupun is downgraded to a lettered county highway.

Yes, until a four lane route is developed, WI 26 should follow County 'A'.  It is now one of the very best two-lane roads in the state.

Longer term, WI 26 should be rerouted onto a new four-lane ROW to connect with US 151 on the southeast corner of Beaver Dam.

Mike

GeekJedi

What do you think about moving WI-26 out of the city of Waupun? Is there a reason why they still have it that way? Makes me scratch my head!

Right on Red

The current routing (that I'm aware of) for 26 takes it around Waupun on 151.

GeekJedi

Surprisingly, it doesn't. It exits 151 south of Waupun, then re-joins it from Business 151, then exits again north of Waupun.

JREwing78

There's signs on US-151 directing NBD Hwy 26 users intending to go to Oshkosh to stay on US-151.

I agree, GeekJedi, there's no reason to keep Hwy 26 through Waupun. It makes much more sense as a Business US-151.

mgk920

Quote from: JREwing78 on November 22, 2015, 05:29:09 PM
There's signs on US-151 directing NBD Hwy 26 users intending to go to Oshkosh to stay on US-151.

I agree, GeekJedi, there's no reason to keep Hwy 26 through Waupun. It makes much more sense as a Business US-151.

Heck, if I had my way, I'd remove that convoluted half-interchange on Waupun's NE corner and replace it with a simple straight across street bridge.  The existing interchanges at WI 49 and WI 26 north are more than adequate to serve that area.

Mike

SEWIGuy

This is one of these cases where I don't think WIDOT numbering aids navigation and only serves to confuse travelers.  US-151 through Madison is another one.  Even if they labelled both as "Business" routes, but kept state maintenance for a period of time, that would be preferable. 

tchafe1978

I went to college in Platteville, which is on US 151. I had some classmates from the Fox Valley area who were told that to get to Platteville, just follow highway 151. Of course, they took that literally, and without even looking at a map, the first time making the trip down followed 151 through Madison instead of following the interstate and Beltline around. They would comment on how long it took going through downtown and getting lost going around the Capitol. Once I explained it to them, then they were like, yeah, that makes so much more sense.

One reason for US 151 still going through the city is nostalgia, i.e. 151 is the only US Highway to run through the isthmus. I agree with changing the routing of 26 through Waupun and 151 through/around Madison. What's one more route number on the interstate and Beltline anyway?

Big John

^^ When I was there I told a relative to follow that way around Madison.  He did not believe me so he decided to take 151 through Madison and was mad it took so long.  He also took 41 to 151 in Fond du Lac as he didn't believe 26 would be a shortcut (This was well before 151 was expanded to 4 lanes).

The Ghostbuster

Are all the exits along the WI-26 corridor numbered?

mgk920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 23, 2015, 03:55:40 PM
Are all the exits along the WI-26 corridor numbered?

Yes.  The southernmost (Harmony Town Hall Rd in Janesville) is, IIRC, Interchange 6.

Mike

Jordanah1

Quote from: hobsini2 on August 07, 2015, 01:10:34 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 06, 2015, 06:08:57 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on August 06, 2015, 01:03:37 PM
If the intent, which I believe it is by WisDOT, is to have Wis 26 as a freeway from Janesville to at least Waupun, then that kind of movement should happen. Plain and simple. Why put it off if they are going to rebuild the interchange? Just do it at once so you won't go back in 10 years to do it.

Who says that is their intent?  I certainly don't see a cost effective way to bypass Johnson Creek for instance.  Furthermore, as Geek Jedi says, if you are claiming that the WI-26 freeway doesn't go to Janesville, then you are simply arguing semantics.  The freeway ends just south of Milton.  Close enough really.
First of all, are there lights on 26 in Janesville north of 39/90? Yes. Freeways don't have lights. That's not semantics. That's being incomplete for 3 miles. Second, I said if it is their intent which I believe it is. That doesn't mean that is 100% good as gold. That is MY opinion.
Third, You can bypass Johnson Creek to the east by about a mile or so. Not as big a deal as you think it is.

http://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/Wis_26_Johnson_Creek_Bypass/GYrufS2SZ_
Your Johnson Creek bypass goes straight over the top of a landfill. It would probably actually be cheaper to build an elevated freeway straight through Johnson Creek than to bypass it because of the added mileage.
"Oshkosh"- "Oh, you mean like 'Oshkosh BGosh'?"

GeekJedi

Quote from: Jordanah1 on April 18, 2016, 08:53:19 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on August 07, 2015, 01:10:34 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 06, 2015, 06:08:57 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on August 06, 2015, 01:03:37 PM
If the intent, which I believe it is by WisDOT, is to have Wis 26 as a freeway from Janesville to at least Waupun, then that kind of movement should happen. Plain and simple. Why put it off if they are going to rebuild the interchange? Just do it at once so you won't go back in 10 years to do it.

Who says that is their intent?  I certainly don't see a cost effective way to bypass Johnson Creek for instance.  Furthermore, as Geek Jedi says, if you are claiming that the WI-26 freeway doesn't go to Janesville, then you are simply arguing semantics.  The freeway ends just south of Milton.  Close enough really.
First of all, are there lights on 26 in Janesville north of 39/90? Yes. Freeways don't have lights. That's not semantics. That's being incomplete for 3 miles. Second, I said if it is their intent which I believe it is. That doesn't mean that is 100% good as gold. That is MY opinion.
Third, You can bypass Johnson Creek to the east by about a mile or so. Not as big a deal as you think it is.

http://www.scribblemaps.com/maps/view/Wis_26_Johnson_Creek_Bypass/GYrufS2SZ_
Your Johnson Creek bypass goes straight over the top of a landfill. It would probably actually be cheaper to build an elevated freeway straight through Johnson Creek than to bypass it because of the added mileage.

Stop making sense. :-D

paulthemapguy

Quote from: GeekJedi on April 19, 2016, 07:45:34 PM

Stop making sense. :-D

I was going to be cheeky and post this thinking the title of the song was "Stop Making Sense" but I was wrong.  I'M POSTIN' IT ANYWAY
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

The Ghostbuster

Alas, existing WI-26 is only a shell of what it once was. From 1923 to 1934, WI-26/M-26 was a continuous designated route from Beloit, WI to Copper Harbor, MI. Now WI-26 just connects Janesville with Oshkosh.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.