News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Who makes the best wings?

Started by roadman65, April 19, 2015, 02:12:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I would have to say my choice for best wings would have to be this:

1) Beef O Brady's
2) Millers Ale House
3) Ker's Wing House (regional knock off Hooters type restaurant in Central Florida and Tampa Bay area)
4) Buffalo Wild Wings
5) Hooters

Back in the 1990s I would have added Finnegans inside Universal Studios Florida, but have not been to the park in years to give them an accurate rating.

Anyway really no specific order, but definitely my top five choices for me.  What is your favorite wings that you like?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 19, 2015, 02:13:19 PM
Boeing.
I did not know that Boeing jet's wings could be eaten.  If so they would be the biggest of them all.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

At no point in your post did you specify anything about eating the wings. You just asked which were the "best". :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Angelo's or Amore, two pizza places near me.

Personally, when I'm looking for a pizzeria, I'm looking for the wings to be good...with a good, chunky blue cheese sauce to boot.  At long as they are good, the pizza will be fine.

roadman65

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 19, 2015, 02:27:39 PM
At no point in your post did you specify anything about eating the wings. You just asked which were the "best". :P
Oh I know.  I was just joking.  In a way it was funny even though it fits the topic of wings as Boeing also makes wings. 

If a Buffalo wing was as big as a boeing's wing, you would be eating it for decades though. 

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

One of the all-time greatest marketing jobs has been done with chicken wings. When I was growing up, they were a throwaway part of a fried chicken. Now they're a Big Thing.

If you had told me 25 years ago that chicken wings and bottled water would be big-selling items, I'd have laughed at you.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

empirestate

Jeremiah's Tavern in Rochester.

iPhone

Pete from Boston

Quote from: hbelkins on April 19, 2015, 03:54:00 PM
One of the all-time greatest marketing jobs has been done with chicken wings. When I was growing up, they were a throwaway part of a fried chicken. Now they're a Big Thing.

If you had told me 25 years ago that chicken wings and bottled water would be big-selling items, I'd have laughed at you.

My mother grew up eating salmon because even canned tuna was too expensive.  Now salmon is on half the restaurant menus in the country as a sort-of-gourmet item.

As for wings, we have a regionally well-known place called Redbones whose barbecue is vastly overrated, but they smoke their wings, and for me this is a standout. 

However, as a beard-wearer, eating wings out is more trouble than it's worth (basically a wipe per bite) so I mainly stick to boneless buffalo tenders.

6a

I'm a fan of a local chain, Roosters.

jp the roadgeek

J. Timothy's "Dirt Style" wings in Plainville, CT
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Mr_Northside

Some friends and I have done a couple of "Wing Tours" over the years (though it's been a while) around the Pittsburgh area and have found some pretty good places. And some not-so-good places.
We generally try and avoid chains, so any names thrown out would probably be unknowns to the majority of readers here.
That said, Sidelines Bar & Grill in Millvale is my go-to, and in-my-opinon, the best.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Takumi

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 19, 2015, 06:23:30 PM
However, as a beard-wearer, eating wings out is more trouble than it's worth (basically a wipe per bite) so I mainly stick to boneless buffalo tenders.
Same here. When I get wings somewhere (and unfortunately it's usually a chain like BWW) I get the boneless kind.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

texaskdog

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

BigRedDog

Quote from: Mr_Northside on April 20, 2015, 05:15:34 PM
Some friends and I have done a couple of "Wing Tours" over the years (though it's been a while) around the Pittsburgh area and have found some pretty good places. And some not-so-good places.
We generally try and avoid chains, so any names thrown out would probably be unknowns to the majority of readers here.
That said, Sidelines Bar & Grill in Millvale is my go-to, and in-my-opinon, the best.

As someone in the Pittsburgh area, I'd be curious to hear some of your (other) favorites, especially any in the South Hills.

ET21

I would have to go with Wingstop
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

empirestate

I've also always liked Mark's Pizzeria's wings.

iPhone

nexus73

A-Birds

B-Boeing

C-Paul McCartney

D-None of the above...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

english si

Quote from: texaskdog on April 20, 2015, 06:08:38 PMChickens
There was me trying to work out which part is the wing:

OCGuy81

I enjoy Buffalo Wild Wings, mostly for the variety of sauces.  Mango Habanero is awesome.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: BigRedDog on April 21, 2015, 12:37:03 AM

As someone in the Pittsburgh area, I'd be curious to hear some of your (other) favorites, especially any in the South Hills.

We went to a few places in the Bridgeville / Collier area back in 2009 for a wing tour.  Burgh's Pizza & Wings were OK.  We went to a place called "Sauce" - admittedly a place that didn't tout their wings, and ironically for a place called "Sauce", were far too dry.  My favorite stop was the Pittsburgh Bottleshop Cafe.   We thought their wings were pretty good.
Greentree may be a little north/west to be South Hills, but my friend and I had some enjoyable wings at a place called Wiggy's.  If you creep into the South Side from the South Hills, the Birmingham Bridge Tavern has really good wings (The Eric the Red - or Eric Jr. if you like a little less heat - are favorites)
I remember having some wings at The Trolley Stop that I thought were all right, but wasn't too impressed by.
There is some place in the Peters Twp I was told we were gonna try at some point, but it never happened.  I can't remember what the name was.
Other than that, I don't do a whole lot of South Hills in general.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

GCrites

Quote from: 6a on April 19, 2015, 06:52:48 PM
I'm a fan of a local chain, Roosters.

+1. If y'all find yourselves in Columbus, Cincinnati or Dayton be sure to hit this place.

BigRedDog

Quote from: Mr_Northside on April 21, 2015, 08:03:39 PM
Quote from: BigRedDog on April 21, 2015, 12:37:03 AM

We went to a few places in the Bridgeville / Collier area back in 2009 for a wing tour.  Burgh's Pizza & Wings were OK.  We went to a place called "Sauce" - admittedly a place that didn't tout their wings, and ironically for a place called "Sauce", were far too dry.  My favorite stop was the Pittsburgh Bottleshop Cafe.   We thought their wings were pretty good.
Greentree may be a little north/west to be South Hills, but my friend and I had some enjoyable wings at a place called Wiggy's.  If you creep into the South Side from the South Hills, the Birmingham Bridge Tavern has really good wings (The Eric the Red - or Eric Jr. if you like a little less heat - are favorites)
I remember having some wings at The Trolley Stop that I thought were all right, but wasn't too impressed by.
There is some place in the Peters Twp I was told we were gonna try at some point, but it never happened.  I can't remember what the name was.
Other than that, I don't do a whole lot of South Hills in general.

Thanks!

Takumi

I was kind of inspired by this thread to find some local wing places, so in the coming weeks I'm going to check a couple out. Apparently one of them is a chain (Wings, Pizza & Things) and the other one has two locations.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.