News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Funny words

Started by bandit957, April 29, 2015, 09:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

I think 'ruin' is one of the funniest words in the English language. It rolls off the tongue in a cool way. There's lots of words like that which I think are funny. Here's more funny words...

mayhem
tirade
harangue
viaduct
engulf

I like the word 'grumble' too. I remember the time in 5th grade when my teacher accused me of "grumbling" instead of doing what I was told. Another funny word is 'spectacle', after my 5th grade teacher told a student, "You made a real spectacle of yourself."
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

spooky

Pete from Boston

You spend a lot of time on your elementary school days, huh?

route17fan

Phooey! (<- a nod to my late Grandfather, who used to use that word when he couldn't find something)  :-D
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

Big John

Quote from: route17fan on April 29, 2015, 11:20:11 AM
Phooey! (<- a nod to my late Grandfather, who used to use that word when he couldn't find something)  :-D
Hong Kong Phooey

route17fan

Ha! I forgot about that  :-D  :-D
John Krakoff - Cleveland, Ohio

jakeroot

Quote from: Pete from Boston on April 29, 2015, 10:32:01 AM

I have also noticed this. I don't remember jack shit from my years at primary school. Bandit's memory is either amazing or he loves to reminisce.

Either way, no offence mate.

---

On-topic: My uncle says "Jiminy Christmas" all the time. Always makes me chuckle.

cjk374

Quote from: jakeroot on April 29, 2015, 01:29:28 PM

I have also noticed this. I don't remember jack shit from my years at primary school. Bandit's memory is either amazing or he loves to reminisce.

---

On-topic: My uncle says "Jiminy Christmas" all the time. Always makes me chuckle.

I say Jiminy Christmas all the time when dealing with a snafu...that also happens to be another funny anagram-turned-word.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

bandit957

Quote from: cjk374 on April 29, 2015, 03:12:56 PM

---

I say Jiminy Christmas all the time when dealing with a snafu...that also happens to be another funny anagram-turned-word.

I always thought "Heavens to Murgatroyd!" was funny.

hotdogPi

For me, it's the ones that start with strange letter combinations.

fjord
czar
tsunami
djinn
khaki
qat
mnemonic
pneumonia
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

bandit957

Also funny are these admonitions frequently spoken by adults back in my day, in increasing order of severity...

"I'm gonna brain you!"
"I'm gonna blast you!"
"I'm gonna smash you!"
"You...have...HAD IT!!!"

I think I only heard the last one maybe once or twice ever. That's how serious it was.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bandit957

'Rectify' is a funny word.

SteveG1988

As a place name. Intercourse, Blue Ball, and Bird in hand.

Bollocks is a fun word.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Duke87

Vestibule
Ostensibly
Vehicle
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

jeffandnicole

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cjk374

Quote from: bandit957 on April 29, 2015, 03:33:37 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on April 29, 2015, 03:12:56 PM

---

I always thought "Heavens to Murgatroyd!" was funny.

I say "Heavens to murgatroyd" also.  That comes from the Hanna Barbera character Sagglepuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fwpj27hlP4
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Scott5114

I'm pretty partial to "fiasco" and "debacle" myself. It was kind of a running joke amongst my friends for a while to discuss a happening at work and then have a mock debate as to whether it was classified as a debacle or a fiasco. The difference being that a fiasco was usually started with some sort of grand intent from management that just blew up in their face, while a debacle just sorta happened.

Something I've been doing lately is to substitute "dollars" for "money" in places where it doesn't really fit. It sounds stodgy and silly to say "We made lots of dollars today" instead of the normal "We made lots of money today".

It also find it fun to use specific, non-round numbers when exaggerating for effect. "There were, like, a hundred people cashing checks today" becomes "There were, like, 157 people cashing checks today".
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

bandit957

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 29, 2015, 10:15:49 PM
I'm pretty partial to "fiasco" and "debacle" myself.

'Disaster' is always useful.

Takumi

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 29, 2015, 10:15:49 PM
It also find it fun to use specific, non-round numbers when exaggerating for effect. "There were, like, a hundred people cashing checks today" becomes "There were, like, 157 people cashing checks today".

I've done this on occasion as well.

One thing my best friend and I do is go back and forth with Jeremy Clarkson-style overenunciations.

(Fast forward to 1:44 to hear an example)
Other examples including writing out "yes" as "yezzz" and "diseases" as "dizzeezzezz".
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bandit957

The word 'incident' is always useful to describe someone wetting or soiling their pants. Once when I was growing up, someone soiled themselves at a Kroger supermarket, and my grandmother called it "the Kroger incident."

Scott5114

"Incident" is useful in pretty much every situation.

My group of friends has recently taken to referring to #1 as "primary bathroom functions" and #2 as "secondary bathroom functions" after an email from management referred to them that way. Gotta go do a secondary.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.