News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Internet Browsers

Started by ilvny, May 03, 2015, 01:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stormwatch7721

Internet explorer for me

PurdueBill

Quote from: 6a on May 03, 2015, 10:25:03 AM

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 03, 2015, 01:25:26 AM
Hey, anybody remember Netscape?

Old school file sharing:

A 3-D model of the SAVE icon.  Cool!

I once used Netscape Navigator Gold 3.04 way back when; eventually I got up to Netscape 9; currently Firefox ESR channel on PC and Chrome on Android. 

SSOWorld

Firefox.

I've been in situations where FF was banned from company computers though (because IT admins can't control the settings of FF like they can IE or Chrome) - in those cases I had a preference of Chrome over IE.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: 6a on May 03, 2015, 10:25:03 AM

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 03, 2015, 01:25:26 AM
Hey, anybody remember Netscape?

Old school file sharing:

I remember first writing to someplace for a catalog, then putting money in the mail to them to obtain freeware/shareware.  After a couple of duds I abandoned the practice, but the whole process of getting a very basic utility could take a couple of months.

Most little programs in those days came my way when someone used the extra space left over on a 720kb floppy used to share a file to put other utilities they found useful.  The interesting part being, of course, "extra space left over on a 720kb floppy."

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

on_wisconsin

Firefox on PC and Android. Firefox has had a decent sync function for quite a while now.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

bugo

freebrickproductions

I use both IE11 and Chrome. I use IE11 mostly at home with Chrome for things that aren't 100% compatible with IE11 in a way that it makes the site I'm on hard to use. I also use Chrome at school mostly because the school puts so much stuff on the school-issued laptops that it bogs IE11 down a lot.

I absolutely despise Firefox as when I had used it, it was extremely slow and laggy, especially on Google Maps (and we're talking about Classic here!).
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

vdeane

I use Chrome.  While it does use a lot of RAM, it is at least pretty speedy.  Firefox is slow as hell.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

DeaconG

Firefox. I only use IE when I am on certain sites that have forms that don't work well with Firefox.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Pink Jazz

I use Internet Explorer 11, but will probably start using Project Spartan once I upgrade to Windows 10.

kurumi

Firefox primary (sometimes with Selenium); Chrome; IE when required; curl; and LWP::UserAgent

/nerd
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Roadsguy

I use Waterfox, which is basically 64-bit Firefox. I only ever use IE on the Surface RT.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Scott5114

Quote from: 6a on May 03, 2015, 07:53:23 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2015, 05:45:09 PM
I use Firefox because, as a Linux user, it is easier to keep updated than Chrome.
what would you say the difference is? My Chrome updates via the update manager (I added the repository) so it checks just like the rest of Linux does. Is Firefox way different in that regard?

Firefox updates through the main distro repositories, meaning I don't have to bother with adding a new repository for it that has to be checked every time I run a system-wide update.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 05, 2015, 01:20:39 AM
I use Waterfox, which is basically 64-bit Firefox. I only ever use IE on the Surface RT.

I also use Waterfox. I use IE if a site won't load in Waterfox (rare, but does happen once in a while).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bugo

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 05, 2015, 11:01:46 AM

I also use Waterfox. I use IE if a site won't load in Waterfox (rare, but does happen once in a while).

Is it faster than Firefox? Can you import bookmarks from Firefox?

J N Winkler

I use Firefox on my laptop and for all bookmark keeping.  I have considered Waterfox but haven't taken the plunge; the Wikipedia article on it currently mentions "mild" improvements over Firefox.  I tolerate Chrome on my phone because it is not my principal data access device and I don't really want to mess with uninstalling Chrome (not sure it can be done since it is a preloaded app) or adding another browser app.  Of course the laptop (running Windows 7) also has IE, but I use it only for sites that rely on user agent checking to enforce a requirement to use it.  (If I automate data extraction from such sites, I spoof user-agent headers.)

All of my downloader scripts wrap around wget, which so far has proven to have all the capability I need except for one site--Oregon DOT's electronic plans distribution platform, which is Flash-driven and so uses binary postdata (I haven't found a convenient AMF serializer/deserializer which can conveniently be invoked from within a NT batch script).

I don't use bookmarks for site access.  Instead, I use automatic URL completion.  As an example, "aa" followed by down button and Return key to load the AARoads forum takes me less time than fishing in the bookmarks menu.  Since Chrome and Firefox have different algorithms for sorting possible complete URLs (Firefox is much more frequency-oriented), this tends to lock me in to using copies of Firefox that I have programmed through repeated use.  This is a limitation I am prepared to accept (versus other options such as making user profile data available across multiple platforms) since I tend to feel I would accomplish more if I did a bit less on the Web.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Duke87

Quote from: on_wisconsin on May 04, 2015, 11:50:03 AM
Firefox on PC and Android. Firefox has had a decent sync function for quite a while now.

I use Firefox on both devices as well, but I don't have them synched and don't want them synched.

To me it's just best practice cybersecurity to not link together things that don't need to be linked together. This way compromising one cannot be used as a vector for compromising the other.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

1995hoo

Quote from: bugo on May 05, 2015, 11:18:13 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on May 05, 2015, 11:01:46 AM

Is it faster than Firefox? Can you import bookmarks from Firefox?

Yes to the second. As to the first, I've found it to be faster, especially when I have lots of tabs open, but as usual with computers your experience might vary.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Otto Yamamoto

Chrome on everything. It's pretty much Spyware, but so is everything else, and NYPD is prolly spying on me anyway, especially after I got arrested at a BLM action back last Black Friday

nexus73

You want ancient tech?  I used dialup in 1971 for a teletype terminal that connected to a mainframe that used BASIC.  We don't need no stinkin' browsers...LOL!  Been on the net since 1995. 

Today I used IE11 except for weak paysites, then I shift to Chrome Incognito mode.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kkt

Was the mainframe running BASIC an HP 2000 by any chance?  Gotta love those 110 baud dial-up lines.

But it's amazing how much bandwidth we have now that get sucked up in Flash and spyware and just plain bad programming.

sammi

I use Chrome almost exclusively. The school workstations have Firefox, and my Windows Phone has IE. I'm a bit of a web developer too, so it's nice to have other browsers to test my stuff on. :)

kj3400

Internet Explorer, except when a site doesn't work properly, then I use Chrome.
Call me Kenny/Kenneth. No, seriously.

nexus73

Quote from: kkt on May 06, 2015, 01:35:59 AM
Was the mainframe running BASIC an HP 2000 by any chance?  Gotta love those 110 baud dial-up lines.

But it's amazing how much bandwidth we have now that get sucked up in Flash and spyware and just plain bad programming.

No idea KKT.  You are spot on about the bloat eating up bandwidth.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.