News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Front license plate where there's no license plate mount

Started by The Nature Boy, May 03, 2015, 06:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Nature Boy

So I'm in a situation where I'm going to have to get a front plate for my car, once I am reunited with it and move to my next state. I have a 2005 Pontiac G6 and there appears to be no way to actually mount a front plate on the car.

Fellow Pontiac owners (or people who also own cars without front license plate brackets), how did you get a front plate onto your cars?

Brian556

Some cars have a detachable bracket, and a bolt hole or holes hidden in the grille area. I'd Google your car's make and model+front license plate mount, or ask your local GM dealership mechanic or parts dept.

Big John

When i moved and had to get one, i special ordered one from the dealership, as i did not see any less costly options.  There were a couple subtle dimples in the front of the car for it to be installed.  Granted it is not a GM car so your experience may differ.

Brian556

You could check the junkyard in the state that requires a front plate for a bracket.

Stratuscaster

Plenty of front plate brackets for a G6 for sale online.

Otherwise, zip ties.

jakeroot

Put it on the dashboard. Cheap as hell, but legal.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: jakeroot on May 03, 2015, 10:41:57 PM

I've seen people do this, but I can also imagine a cop pulling you over just to get a look at your front plate. I'd rather not deal with that. I might contact a GM dealership and see if they have anything I can throw on the car. It sucks that Pontiacs were generally made without the ability to attach a front plate.

jakeroot

Quote from: The Nature Boy on May 03, 2015, 11:02:09 PM

I've seen people do this, but I can also imagine a cop pulling you over just to get a look at your front plate. I'd rather not deal with that. I might contact a GM dealership and see if they have anything I can throw on the car. It sucks that Pontiacs were generally made without the ability to attach a front plate.

I guess, in the interim, it's an option. Long term, definitely have GM get a you a bracket.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: jakeroot on May 03, 2015, 11:04:34 PM
Quote from: The Nature Boy on May 03, 2015, 11:02:09 PM

I guess, in the interim, it's an option. Long term, definitely have GM get a you a bracket.

For sure, I'm hoping that I get a job offer from where I'm interviewing and that I have enough time to order a mount before I get there. I just can't imagine how it would attach. Guess that's why they have mechanics, to figure this stuff out.

Stratuscaster

Sure. Put it on the dashboard, where it can fly about in a collision and sever an artery.

I'll suggest again - zip ties through the grille openings while you obtain a proper bracket.

Few - if any - cars are made in the US without the ability to attach a front plate. That "ability" is usually the front plate bracket, which is usually provided with a new vehicle when sold in states that require a front plate.

Found you two sources online...this part was specific to the G6 and doesn't appear to be used for any other GM model:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-2006-2007-2008-Pontiac-G6-Front-License-Plate-Bracket-OEM-new-/270835547313
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-10379556-License-Plate-Bracket/dp/B000QIIL4S

It attaches by drilling holes into your front fascia and bumper and bolting it on.

As far as the cops, show them the bill of sale and tell them you are in the process of obtaining and installing a front plate bracket.

Another source - check out car forums where car owners bitch about getting plate brackets pre-installing on their cars and they want to take them off, because they don't care to bow down to the man and his rules...or because it's not required in their state.

Here's a similar scenario to yours:
http://www.g6performance.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23736

The Nature Boy

Thanks for the help. I'll look into it. The interview isn't for another two weeks but I'm trying to figure out every possible scenario before I get there. I'm thinking of just ordering one because most states require front plates and I might need it eventually anyway.

jakeroot

Quote from: Stratuscaster on May 03, 2015, 11:31:32 PM
Sure. Put it on the dashboard, where it can fly about in a collision and sever an artery.

Then secure it using tape or something.

slorydn1

Those of us in the Mustang Community who are required to get front plates and don't want to drill holes usually roll with these:

http://ccmustangbrackets.com/

Maybe you could find something similar for your Pontiac.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.