News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

I-65 widening moving north

Started by ShawnP, November 06, 2010, 11:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShawnP

Back to the original topic. Can Kentucky come up with the money to finish those last 33 miles (funding/construction approved to MM58 at Horse Cave)? I say yes but it might be 2017 to 2019 until final completion. The horrific crossovers over the years have provided the Political will for politicians to get it done. As I have said before I really like Kentucky's road building when it comes to six laning. If you haven't been thru any new six laning by Kentucky your missing some nice road work. Kentucky totally rebuilds the road to keep it ready for many more years of traffic. It's not a cheapie just add on a lane type of road work. They add the lane plus Jersey Barriers. Then redo the old lanes plus upgrade shoulders, exits and bridges. Costs more upfront but in the long run it's cheaper to build upfront than having to redo a few years down the road.

codyg1985

I stole this from HB's facebook page, but here is an intriguing proposal for a private company to help finance the remaining sections of I-65 widening. They would foot the bill and Kentucky would pay $50 million per year with no interest afterward.

I see some potential contracting and color of money issues with this, but I hope that it can work. It almost sounds like a tax increment financing district that cities use to provide infrastructure upgrades before a developer develops the land.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

ShawnP

I would trust Scotty's as they are a quality construction company. If Scotty's wants to help then go for it Kentucky. I-65 would be a top notch road from Elizabethtown south.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: froggie on February 08, 2011, 10:38:52 PM
That's a BS answer, IMO.  Alabama, Mississippi, and Arkansas are just as poor and rural, and yet they manage to do it.  Alabama manages to do it quite well, for that matter...

If there's anything they do well, it's that.  AL (both county and ALDOT) does not let its roads fall into disrepair all that much.  That is, excepting Jefferson County (Thanks, Larry!  We really appreciate it! :angry: )
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

ShawnP

Wasn't a cross over. A horrific accident claimed three lives at MM 86 or so this morning. I-65 is so dangerous from E-town to Bowling Green.

Removed incorrect link

hbelkins

That video is of an aircraft carrier at sea.

I'm not sure why there are so many wrecks on I-65. I'd much rather drive the two-lane I-65 than the three-lane newer sections of I-75.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

Looks like KTC is set to let a contract to widen another four miles of I-65 in Barren County to six lanes:

http://transportation.ky.gov/Construction-Procurement/Pages/lettings.aspx?letting=10/21/2011
Cody Goodman

ShawnP

Should be a easy stretch as not many bridges and overpasses. One step at a time.

ShawnP

Good news as this could open 15-20 more miles of 6 laning.

It also sets aside $143 million to continue widening a stretch of Interstate 65 north of Bowling Green that has been plagued by accidents.

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/2012301170087

ShawnP

Any ideals how many more miles this will get Kentucky along on six laning? My guess is from exit 58 to exit 71. This would leave 20 miles left.

hbelkins

I haven't read any of the news coverage yet, and I got a hard copy of the highway plan today but obviously haven't read it, and I also try to avoid listening to anything the governor says out of extreme dislike for him, but I thought I heard that he had all of I-65 north to E-town in the plan.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Grzrd

This article indicates that the 2012 Recommended Highway Plan aims to complete the I-65 widening over the next six years:

The governor's plan provides $491.4 million over six years to complete the widening of I-65 in Barren, Hart, LaRue and Hardin counties. When completed, the heavily traveled corridor will be six lanes wide from the Tennessee border to the Ohio River at Louisville.

NWI_Irish96

Indiana needs to get on board with this idea.  Tired of being stuck doing 68 in the left lane because a slow truck is passing a really slow truck.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

agentsteel53

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 20, 2012, 09:54:05 AM
Indiana needs to get on board with this idea.  Tired of being stuck doing 68 in the left lane because a slow truck is passing a really slow truck.

or they could just start pulling over trucks for impeding, and even get the necessary funds to build the third lane.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ShawnP

Love the Race of the Turtles...........

agentsteel53

Quote from: ShawnP on January 20, 2012, 03:10:29 PM
Love the Race of the Turtles...........

it is the #1 cause of congestion on rural freeways.

if you're not passing by a speed differential of at least 10mph, you deserve a citation.

if you don't want to go, stay home.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

ShawnP

On a side note...........noticed I-64 getting another 5 miles of six lanning eastwards in Shelby County. Also the six year plan includes rebuilding of some bridges to six lanes on I-64. Slowly but surely I-64 will be six lanes from Lexington to Louisville.

Henry

So this means that eventually all of I-65 in KY will be six lanes or more? Nice!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

wriddle082

Quote from: Henry on February 07, 2012, 10:35:13 AM
So this means that eventually all of I-65 in KY will be six lanes or more? Nice!

Kentucky really seems to be the nest Georgia in terms of 6-lane widening significant stretches of rural interstate.  I-75 is/will soon be at least six through lanes from Corbin all the way to Covington (with an exception being the I-64 northern split in Lexington).  I-65 will definitely be six through lanes the whole way through the state.  And I-64 will one day be six lanes between Louisville and Lexington.

Also, they're probably going to have to do something about the brand new I-24/69 duplex in Western KY one of these days.

Now if only they would give a little TLC to I-71...

*AND* If only TN would take care of the rest of I-65 north of Nashville to the KY line...

codyg1985

^ Tennessee doesn't seem to be really big on widening rural interstates, it seems. :(
Cody Goodman

ShawnP

TN doesn't seem to be big on doing much work lately..........

wriddle082

Quote from: ShawnP on February 08, 2012, 09:37:37 AM
TN doesn't seem to be big on doing much work lately..........

That's true these days.  They've pretty much "finished" Knoxville.  They've "finished" most of Nashville proper.  They're finishing TN 840.  Memphis will have a bit of work in the years to come, with I-269 and the I-55/Crump Blvd interchange rebuild.  Chattanooga has US 27 work on the horizon.

One thing you can count on them always doing in TN, however, is regular resurfacing.  Kinda makes me wish they'd do that more often in SC, and definitely up here in WI where work currently has me stationed.

mightyace

^^^

That about sums it up.

Though Tdot is widening the Mack Hatcher bypass of Franklin from 2 to 4 lanes between US 31 on the north side and TN 96.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

ShawnP

TN 840 is not finished...........it's about halfway done.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.