News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

MORPC posting their wish list for Columbus and Central Ohio

Started by Hot Rod Hootenanny, January 04, 2012, 11:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot Rod Hootenanny

MORPC is solicitating opinions on their transportation wishlist for the next 20 years.
http://www.morpc.org/transportation/mtp/comments.asp
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

vtk

I noticed they appear to be considering "access management" along US 23 in Delaware County.  I hope that means upgrade to expressway, but I can't imagine eliminating many lights. Also, it's one of those "ongoing" projects where they do a little at a time with no completion date for it all.  I'm still going to pitch a rough description of my I-171 concept in my comment.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

On MORPC's 20 year "pipe dream" map, they suggest making US 23 interstate quality from Delaware north to Marion County.
http://www.morpc.org/trans/Tplan_Notincl_11X17_2012.pdf

vtk

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on January 13, 2012, 10:01:16 PM
On MORPC's 20 year "pipe dream" map, they suggest making US 23 interstate quality from Delaware north to Marion County.
http://www.morpc.org/trans/Tplan_Notincl_11X17_2012.pdf

I saw that. It was also on the "not included" list for their current (soon to be previous) transportation plan.  Apparently they never even considered a full-freeway conversion south of Delaware.

thenetwork

And it don't look like they want to build a freeway-grade connector between (north of) Delaware and I-71 to circumvent the poor traffic flow on US-23 south to I-270 either. :no:

vtk

Quote from: thenetwork on January 16, 2012, 02:07:52 AM
And it don't look like they want to build a freeway-grade connector between (north of) Delaware and I-71 to circumvent the poor traffic flow on US-23 south to I-270 either. :no:

To be fair, my version of that would be halfway outside MORPC's area of concern.  Does 2¼ counties seem to anyone else a bit small for an MPO?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: vtk on January 16, 2012, 11:53:12 AM

To be fair, my version of that would be halfway outside MORPC's area of concern.  Does 2¼ counties seem to anyone else a bit small for an MPO?

Don't know what one has to do to expand MORPC's area of coverage. I know MORPC originally had jursidiction over just the southern half of Delaware County (besides Franklin) till 1990. I do recall folks taking notice when Morrow County was added to the Columbus CMS after the 2000 census (the northern half of Morrow was grouped with Mansfield previously). 

6a

Quote from: vtk on January 16, 2012, 11:53:12 AM

Well, to be honest, there are only cow paths in the three western counties :sombrero:

Hot Rod Hootenanny

While ODOT is looking to slash their budget (because austerity is all the rage amongst Republican politicians), MORPC is still believing they'll get their billions to fix all the highways in Central Ohio.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/04/03/morpc-lists-6-6-billion-in-projects.html

6a

Screw it, let's pull an Atlanta and do another Freeing the Freeways. 

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: 6a on April 18, 2012, 07:05:25 PM
Screw it, let's pull an Atlanta and do another Freeing the Freeways. 

I see others here in Columbus are thinking the same thing...
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/04/18/not-so-major-delays.html
The Ohio Department of Transportation likely will reorder its list of 34 major projects slated for delays, which could shorten the wait for future phases of I-70/71 reconstruction.

Director Jerry Wray said yesterday that a list of proposed delays doesn't reflect priorities of reducing driving hazards and traffic congestion. ODOT likely will take a second look at the schedule after an advisory panel votes on the list next month, he said.

"We're going to have to look at what's the most important from a safety standpoint, what's the most important from a congestion standpoint,"  Wray said between sessions of a public hearing in which ODOT's Transportation Review Advisory Council heard from local officials.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.