News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-95 gap in NJ

Started by Roadman66, October 13, 2011, 01:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

I'm not particularly sure offhand what they are looking for.  They used to sit about 3 miles south of Interchange 3 because of an emergency access gate that was usually kept open (just off of NJ 47).  It was a pretty easy stop - cars would slow down on the shoulder to pull off the highway, and just as they were about ready to make their turn towards the gate, the cop would be sitting there in the clearing.  How easy of a stop is that - the guy they want has already slowed to about 15 mph to make that right turn.  Not much to do besides activate the lights.  At that point, the law-breaker might as well pull up to the cop to make things easier!

I've also seen them at the top of the ramp to/from the State Police building and maintenance yard about 3 miles North of Interchange 4, as well as the ramp to the maintainance yard about a 1/2 mile North of Interchange 2.  In that case, I watched in front of a car pull up to the ramp, and suddenly stopped!  He saw the cop, and was a dead duck.  The cop came down and met the car right there as I passed by.

I've yet to figure out what they're doing on that maintenance ramp near Interchange 4.  I've never seen a cop leave the "perch" up there, and I know there are cars passing at over 80 mph.  Maybe they're waiting for someone going over 90...or looking for a quick exit like described above. 

In addition to cell phone usage (which is all the rage now), from that perch they could be looking for tailgaters, headlights not working properly, or any number of violations that can be spotted.  I forget where I saw the stat from, but in NJ at least, the number of tickets issued for speeding was relatively low.

signalman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 30, 2012, 10:41:38 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 30, 2012, 09:15:52 AM

But officially, it is only 65 MPH.

And pretty strictly enforced, at least south of Exit 6 (this may be only because enforcement is much more visible on the (relatively-speaking narrow segment of the Turnpike).

I'm going to go with this is the most laughable post of the day. 

I'm not sure how often you ride the turnpike, where you may have heard this from or if this is just your opinion, but the 65 mph limit is most definitely not strictly enforced below Interchange 6.  I, along with regular and everyday users of the turnpike, will attest to that as well.

As far as enforcement is much more visible - yes, you are correct in that department.  And yes, it may cause some motorists to think that way.  But I can tell you first hand, many times, that they are not looking for people going just a minor bit over the speed limit.  In fact, the police you see many not even be looking for speeders!

I would agree with jeffandnicole.  Infact, it's because the cops are so lax on speed enforcement why I often opt to take the turnpike instead of 295 when I'm headed south.  The fastest that I ever went past a parked trooper was 80.  I was in the right lane and being overtaken as we passed by the cop.  The trooper never even pulled out to go after the car passing me.

Compulov

Quote from: signalman on July 30, 2012, 03:04:25 PM
I would agree with jeffandnicole.  Infact, it's because the cops are so lax on speed enforcement why I often opt to take the turnpike instead of 295 when I'm headed south.  The fastest that I ever went past a parked trooper was 80.  I was in the right lane and being overtaken as we passed by the cop.  The trooper never even pulled out to go after the car passing me.

FWIW, in my experience of having been pulled over on several occasions by NJ's finest (in my slightly younger years), they will give you 14 mph in a 65 zone. I've done 79 past troopers on numerous occasions, stopped at 80 (and given a warning) and given a ticket at 81. So at 80, he might just not have wanted to bother (and maybe all his radar locked on was you, so he can only assume the fastest the other guy was going was 80). Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself....
Oh, and I dunno why, but on both the Turnpike and the Parkway, I've found their tolerances to be even higher... maybe the NJTA doesn't want to discourage people from taking their toll roads... since I think they fund the troopers on those roads, they might have some say in how they enforce traffic laws.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 30, 2012, 09:15:52 AM

But officially, it is only 65 MPH.

And pretty strictly enforced, at least south of Exit 6 (this may be only because enforcement is much more visible on the (relatively-speaking narrow segment of the Turnpike).

I'm going to go with this is the most laughable post of the day.

Based on what I have seen (and that's usually driving the Turnpike on weekends).

I'm not sure how often you ride the turnpike, where you may have heard this from or if this is just your opinion, but the 65 mph limit is most definitely not strictly enforced below Interchange 6.  I, along with regular and everyday users of the turnpike, will attest to that as well.

I probably don't drive it as often as you do - three or four times a year, that's all.

But especially southbound, at the "exits" to the Turnpike maintenance facilities, I have seen the NJSP out there with radar or laser sets, measuring speed of passing vehicles and stopping those that were breaking the posted limit (by a lot).  Now I have never been stopped, so I do not know if the stops lead to warnings or tickets.

As far as enforcement is much more visible - yes, you are correct in that department.  And yes, it may cause some motorists to think that way.  But I can tell you first hand, many times, that they are not looking for people going just a minor bit over the speed limit.  In fact, the police you see many not even be looking for speeders!

When I drive the Turnpike, I always observe one or two traffic stops between 1 and 6.  More than on the JFK Highway in Md.  More than the Delaware Turnpike. 

Quote from: Compulov on July 30, 2012, 08:30:42 PM
Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself.... Oh, and I dunno why, but on both the Turnpike and the Parkway, I've found their tolerances to be even higher... maybe the NJTA doesn't want to discourage people from taking their toll roads... since I think they fund the troopers on those roads, they might have some say in how they enforce traffic laws.

It's pretty  common practice that toll roads fund the cost of the law enforcement activities that take place on their property.  And that's clearly the case in New Jersey.  I believe I read someplace that the New Jersey Turnpike Authority even procures police cars to NJSP specifications for the troopers that patrol the Turnpike and the Parkway.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 30, 2012, 12:35:52 PM
what are the overtly visible cops looking for, then?  people with a particular vehicle description as reported previously, in possible connection with a recently committed crime?
One guess would be potential drug traffickers.  Parts of I-95 have been referred to as Cocaine Lane for that reason.

While much of the Turnpike is NOT I-95; that doesn't mean that drug traffickers don't use the road.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

cpzilliacus

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 31, 2012, 08:27:37 AM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 30, 2012, 12:35:52 PM
what are the overtly visible cops looking for, then?  people with a particular vehicle description as reported previously, in possible connection with a recently committed crime?
One guess would be potential drug traffickers.  Parts of I-95 have been referred to as Cocaine Lane for that reason.

While much of the Turnpike is NOT I-95; that doesn't mean that drug traffickers don't use the road.

Agreed on all points.  Law enforcement do make some (often well-publicized) drug busts along the I-95 corridor.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

agentsteel53

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 31, 2012, 08:27:37 AMOne guess would be potential drug traffickers.  Parts of I-95 have been referred to as Cocaine Lane for that reason.

how do police get probable cause? 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 31, 2012, 01:09:04 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on July 31, 2012, 08:27:37 AMOne guess would be potential drug traffickers.  Parts of I-95 have been referred to as Cocaine Lane for that reason.

how do police get probable cause? 

By observing the driver make one or more violation(s) of traffic law(s).

That makes a traffic stop legal.  That also makes it legal for a trained dog to sniff the exterior of the vehicle, and if the dog "alerts," then they cops have all the probable cause they need.

Alps

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.