News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Parts of I-244 decommissioned

Started by bugo, April 01, 2014, 11:22:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

I-244 now only runs from I-44 west to US 75.  The rest of the interstate, duplexed with other routes, has been removed from all signage.  This makes no sense.

Scott5114

Is it signed as OK-344 now? That may be what the emergency transportation committee meeting on Thursday, March 22 was about.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Henry

Why not just make the whole thing I-144, as it will no longer connect to its parent?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

corco

Quote from: Henry on April 01, 2014, 03:08:17 PM
Why not just make the whole thing I-144, as it will no longer connect to its parent?

It would be confusing to randomly renumber it as something else. The rest of I-244 is colloquially referred to by the other highways along the route (US 75/US 412), so removing 244 signs there would not be confusing.

J N Winkler

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

corco

getemngo

Quote from: corco on April 01, 2014, 07:23:33 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 01, 2014, 05:20:55 PM
April fool . . .

boo, I think all but one of us were aware of that

Well, it's not like nothing similar has happened lately. It's a believable story.
~ Sam from Michigan

tdindy88

The fact that March 22nd was on a Thursday however was not believable. The 22nd was a Saturday last month.

J N Winkler

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 01, 2014, 10:10:09 PMThe fact that March 22nd was on a Thursday however was not believable. The 22nd was a Saturday last month.

Hence "emergency."  And, believe it or not, I have seen highway construction contracts advertised on Saturday in at least two jurisdictions.

Edit:  Now I see what you mean--Scott5411's post contained the phrase "Thursday, March 22," which is an impossibility for 2014.  But wrong day of the week strikes me as too easy to attribute to innocent error.  I actually decided it was an April fool largely by looking at how the first two posts were pitched:  they were too economical with detail and sentence structure was unnaturally simple.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

US71

Quote from: Henry on April 01, 2014, 03:08:17 PM

Because that would be logical?   :eyebrow:
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Scott5114

Quote from: tdindy88 on April 01, 2014, 10:10:09 PM
The fact that March 22nd was on a Thursday however was not believable. The 22nd was a Saturday last month.

I wondered if anyone would catch that. :P

Might have been more believable if one of us had given a plausible-sounding reason why 244 would be decommissioned.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

english si

Quote from: getemngo on April 01, 2014, 08:20:56 PMWell, it's not like nothing similar has happened lately. It's a believable story.
If it was a MO interstate, then it would be believable as it is MO that is removing interstate signs (as well as I-44 concurrent with US50, I-35 concurrent with MO110).

Perhaps I-64 on US40? That the '64' number hasn't replaced '40' is common knowledge.

Henry

Quote from: getemngo on April 01, 2014, 08:20:56 PM
Quote from: corco on April 01, 2014, 07:23:33 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on April 01, 2014, 05:20:55 PM
April fool . . .

boo, I think all but one of us were aware of that

Well, it's not like nothing similar has happened lately. It's a believable story.
I knew it!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 02, 2014, 04:23:55 AMMight have been more believable if one of us had given a plausible-sounding reason why 244 would be decommissioned.

If you had said it was due to message loading (signs saying just "US 64" and "US 412" being easier to read than signs also saying "I-244"), and that Oklahoma DOT had chosen US 64 and US 412 to sign on the basis that they were through routes and therefore more important for traffic transiting the Tulsa metropolitan area, I would probably have been taken in.  But to seal the deal, you should also note that Oklahoma DOT had listened to numerous comments in opposition and nevertheless decided to proceed, regretfully concluding that there was no way to accommodate the complaints without giving up the benefits of de-signing I-244.

Bobby5280

Some of the I-244 signs in Tulsa were flat out horrible, bearing hideous custom made route shields. Maybe the story could have been ODOT removing the I-244 designation since they've had too challenges making the I-244 markers correctly.

A couple of the worst looking ones, large overhead signs on I-44, were recently replaced near the east end of I-244. The new signs have correct looking shields now, thank God. I think there's still some remaining near the Western end of I-244.

If only ODOT could stop doing some of the strange things they're doing with Clearview. I don't mind the typeface at all, but some of the signs they've posted along I-44 in the Lawton-Fort Sill area are pretty bad. There's one just North of the Cache Road exit that has different sized letters mixed into some words. It's as if they had a big box with of different aluminum letters and were just grabbing anything to spell words without checking if they had a 14" lower case "r" or a 16" copy of it.
:-/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.