News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

US 50 Emporia Roundabout (PING J N Winkler)

Started by route56, June 25, 2012, 02:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

route56

I just looked up the July KDOT lettings and found one that's.... well, interesting, to say the least.

Project number U050-056 KA 2768-01.

Based on the plans, it appears that the roundabout on US 50 at the Emporia interchange (where I-35 joins the Kansas Turnpike.) is being narrowed. The innermost lane is slated to become an extension of the Truck apron

There is a significant amount of signage changes involved.
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

J N Winkler

I saw this one and could not understand why KDOT was tinkering with this so soon after it opened (though of course I don't mind having more sign design sheets to clip).  Have there been problems with trucks?

The biggest project in this letting is the 13th Street Bridge over I-235.  In spite of its name, this is actually a new restricted-access interchange with two flyover crossings of the Big Ditch, one to carry traffic from I-235 northbound to 13th Street westbound and the other from 13th Street eastbound to I-235 southbound.  This is a City of Wichita project with funding from the same sales tax increment that is used for Kellogg improvements, so I am mildly surprised to see letting handled by KDOT.

(As an aside, I wish KDOT would go back to uploading plotted PDF plan sets for the lettings--these raster PDFs are low-resolution and the color fills on the sign panel detail sheets tend to block up.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

situveux1

Do you have a link to the KDOT website where these documents are at? I haven't been able to find them. Thanks!

J N Winkler

Plans and proposals page is here:

http://www.ksdot.org/burconsmain/contracts/proposal.asp

All projects have proposals, but only a few projects (typically five to ten per month) have construction plans.  Where a project has plans, there will be one or more "Plan Sheets" links.  Project number for the 13th Street Bridge is (if memory serves) 235-87 KA-2040-01.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

I love roundabouts.  I like the roundabouts at Emporia.  Notice how I went from love to like there.  I haven't seen any fender benders on the roundabouts, but I would definitely change things.  From my experience, many drivers are unsure which lane to be in upon entering the larger roundabout, and I blame that partially on the sheer size of the roundabout (when you enter, you can't really see even the next exit) and partially on signage (I think it warrants overheads with lane assignment arrows).  This causes quite a few last-minute lane changes, unnecessary braking, and, in general, people not watching traffic because they're trying to figure out what the heck they're supposed to do.

Perhaps KDOT has noticed the same thing, and reducing the lane count of the circulating roadway is their attempt at a solution to it:  get rid of a lane, and people no longer have to wonder which lane to be in.  Frankly, I think traffic volumes on the roundabout are low enough that it shouldn't really affect its performance.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

rte66man

Quote from: kphoger on June 26, 2012, 09:48:33 AM
I love roundabouts.  I like the roundabouts at Emporia.  Notice how I went from love to like there.  I haven't seen any fender benders on the roundabouts, but I would definitely change things.  From my experience, many drivers are unsure which lane to be in upon entering the larger roundabout, and I blame that partially on the sheer size of the roundabout (when you enter, you can't really see even the next exit) and partially on signage (I think it warrants overheads with lane assignment arrows).  This causes quite a few last-minute lane changes, unnecessary braking, and, in general, people not watching traffic because they're trying to figure out what the heck they're supposed to do.

Perhaps KDOT has noticed the same thing, and reducing the lane count of the circulating roadway is their attempt at a solution to it:  get rid of a lane, and people no longer have to wonder which lane to be in.  Frankly, I think traffic volumes on the roundabout are low enough that it shouldn't really affect its performance.

I find it amusing that the US is adding roundabouts while GB is removing them. Had a chance recently to look at Google images of the A40 coming west out of London. 30 years ago, there was a rooundabout at nearly every major intersection.  All have been replaced by flyovers or underpasses. I'm assuming traffic volumes became too much for the roundabout to cope with.

rte66man
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

situveux1

Thanks for the link, I appreciate it.

One of the big reasons Emporia pushed for a roundabout was because it was supposed to allow interstate and Highway 50 access to the land directly north of the toll plaza and connector road. They thought they were going to get a big shopping center there. Guess that clearly hasn't worked out.

Brian556

I personally do not like multi-lane roundabouts. They are just too confusing, plus. having vehicles side-by-side in a roudabout is just asking for an accident. I do, however, like single- lane roundabouts.

Here's an example of signage for a multi-lane roundabout in Chattanooga, TN.
Too confusing and too much information to process if you ask me.

english si

Quote from: Brian556 on June 30, 2012, 12:59:11 AMHere's an example of signage for a multi-lane roundabout in Chattanooga, TN.
Too confusing and too much information to process if you ask me.
Now I understand why people over that side of the pond don't like multi-lane roundabouts!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.