State of South Dakota vs City of Sioux City, Iowa

Started by M86, March 07, 2014, 02:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M86

This is heating up...

http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/sioux-city-police-chief-s-d-should-stay-out-of/article_0b5987e4-a270-5fd2-b02e-085db5b6db31.html

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20140306/UPDATES/303060051/Sioux-City-police-chief-vigorously-defends-speed-cameras-after-remarks-from-Daugaard-s-office

The speed camera fines fund the Sewer City government.  They'll catch you crossing the border from SD to IA.  In North Sioux City, on I-29, the speed limit is 65.  Once you cross into Iowa, it's 55 (or lower, if IowaDOT is doing construction).  And they'll strategically place the movable speed cameras.

The fines go to fund Sioux City's police and fire depts pensions.  It's disgusting.

SP Cook

All money, being fungible, goes to whatever you consider to be the most wasteful government program going. 

In any event, good for SD.  Heroic.  Iowa seems to want to play this silly "civil fine" idea.  Which means in translation "everything about it being criminal favorable to government applies, but none of the protections for the citizen do".  OK, its "civil".  And thus subject to SD ignoring it.

My state has many faults, but one thing I am proud of is that we have totally banned unmanned, and thus Unconstitutional, robocams.

Jardine

I'm still thinking with the mounting debt, debt, debt at county, state, and national levels, ANY police function that can be automated and done cheaper than with personnel WILL be automated.

Watching Detroit, and soon in the not too distant future, California, slip into a bottomless septic tank of financial cancer is going to be a big dose (or should be) of reality as to what's really important in prioritization of public spending.

How much $$$ do we want to waste in a police department personnel budget maintaining order on the roads when that job can be automated and instead we can have the  cops  tasked with going after child molesters, rapists, home invaders and murderers?

Whining about having a 'real' cop instead of a machine writing your speeding ticket (when you ALREADY know you ain't 'sposed to be speeding)  when we have the freaking barbarian hordes at large menacing everybody is annoying in the extreme.

:eyebrow:

formulanone

...in before not needing strict speed enforcement on freeways in the first place, whether manned or automated.

Brandon

Quote from: M86 on March 07, 2014, 02:37:09 AM
This is heating up...

http://siouxcityjournal.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/sioux-city-police-chief-s-d-should-stay-out-of/article_0b5987e4-a270-5fd2-b02e-085db5b6db31.html

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20140306/UPDATES/303060051/Sioux-City-police-chief-vigorously-defends-speed-cameras-after-remarks-from-Daugaard-s-office

The speed camera fines fund the Sewer City government.  They'll catch you crossing the border from SD to IA.  In North Sioux City, on I-29, the speed limit is 65.  Once you cross into Iowa, it's 55 (or lower, if IowaDOT is doing construction).  And they'll strategically place the movable speed cameras.

The fines go to fund Sioux City's police and fire depts pensions.  It's disgusting.

I hope it passes.  Enough of the fucking cameras.

Quote from: Jardine on March 07, 2014, 09:27:34 AM
I'm still thinking with the mounting debt, debt, debt at county, state, and national levels, ANY police function that can be automated and done cheaper than with personnel WILL be automated.

Watching Detroit, and soon in the not too distant future, California, slip into a bottomless septic tank of financial cancer is going to be a big dose (or should be) of reality as to what's really important in prioritization of public spending.

How much $$$ do we want to waste in a police department personnel budget maintaining order on the roads when that job can be automated and instead we can have the  cops  tasked with going after child molesters, rapists, home invaders and murderers?

Whining about having a 'real' cop instead of a machine writing your speeding ticket (when you ALREADY know you ain't 'sposed to be speeding)  when we have the freaking barbarian hordes at large menacing everybody is annoying in the extreme.

:eyebrow:

Watch Chicago, it's already happening there.  Detroit cannot use the cameras as they have been considered to be unconstitutional to use in Michigan.

It is Chicago that pushed for the speed cameras in so-called "safety zones" in the city.  It is Chicago that is depending on the revenue from them to close budget holes.  It is Chicago that sold the rights to their parking meters for a quick buck a few years ago.  It is Chicago that has made crooked deals with these camera companies.  See: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10930.0  It is also Chicago that infamously issued a speed camera speeding ticket to a parked car.

Speed camera system flags a parked car

QuoteOn a Friday night in October, Megan Kasten parked her car for five minutes on Augusta Boulevard near Humboldt Park while she picked up a friend to go see a movie.

A month later, Kasten said, she got a warning notice in the mail for speeding past the Northwest Side park at 37 miles per hour, a violation recorded by one of Mayor Rahm Emanuel's new speed cameras.

QuoteEmanuel is counting on $70 million in speed camera revenue for 2014, although some aldermen have estimated that the amount will be much higher. The administration has said it hopes to have 50 cameras operating by the end of the year but has not said how many it might add in 2014.

These cameras and the companies that operate them need to be banned on a national level.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SP Cook

You would have a point, except for the scientific fact that traffic speeds are self-regulating at the 85th percentile.  Substitue "maintaining order" with "random taxing unfortunate motorists" and ther you go. 

Jardine

Quote from: SP Cook on March 07, 2014, 05:54:31 PM

You would have a point, except for the scientific fact that traffic speeds are self-regulating at the 85th percentile.  Substitue "maintaining order" with "random taxing unfortunate motorists" and ther you go.

The public is demanding more services and screams bloody murder when they're not forthcoming, and voters absolutely positively will not elect responsible grownups that can implement some reasonable prioritizations and constraints on spending, and who will tell the moonbats with their hands outstretched for more and more redundant, wasteful, redundant, fraudulent, redundant, and stoopid programs to stuff it.

I note the red light cameras in Council Bluffs are signed(!!!!!!) and they still catch motorists too vapid or busy texting to even notice.  If given the choice of THEM paying more or ME, I'm happy and enthusiastic to see THEM paying out their noses.

If state, county, municipal, regional and federal spenders weren't drunk with pissing away trillions down rat holes, you would have a point.

:pan:

M86

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20140307/UPDATES/303070061/Sioux-City-mayor-Daugaard-shields-speeders

And now the Sioux City mayor is voicing his opinion.  He doesn't want the loss of revenue... So clueless... Does he realize that public perception is a huge thing?

The Sioux City, Iowa population has remained stagnant for decades, while nearby competitive city of Sioux Falls, South Dakota has doubled in population since 1980.

I can't wait for SD to pass this, and I don't even live in that state.

NE2

Strict speed enforcement on freeways is a natural outgrowth of the desire to run government like a business and put profits first.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

brad2971

Quote from: NE2 on March 08, 2014, 01:41:16 AM
Strict speed enforcement on freeways is a natural outgrowth of the desire to run government like a business and put profits first.

Aggressively pro-business South Dakota must truly be behind the times, if that's the case. Frankly, it's good to see a state stick up for its citizens in this way, especially when it's common knowledge that the principal reason Sioux City set these contraptions up is to get revenue from SD's heavy-speeding citizenry.

Brandon

Obviously Chicago wants to run like a business - NOT!

Rahm did it "for the children".  See this thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10930.0

Had nothing to do with running the city like a business.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Revive 755

Quote from: M86 on March 07, 2014, 02:37:09 AM
This is heating up...

I really hope this passes.  Sioux City, IA, in particular ought to be banned from having speed cameras.  When I was there a few years ago while I-29 was being worked on, they had a mobile speed camera sitting right behind the first speed limit sign where the speed limit went from 55 to 45 45 to 40, with the camera pointing into the area in front of the sign.

(Edited to correct error in memory)

NE2

Quote from: Brandon on March 08, 2014, 09:44:36 AM

Rahm did it "for the children".  See this thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=10930.0

Are those cameras on freeways? (If you get anal about them being expressways I'll slap you.)

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on March 08, 2014, 06:01:23 PM

Are those cameras on freeways? (If you get anal about them being expressways I'll slap you.)

Nope.  They're in so-called "safety zones" by parks and schools.

NE2

Quote from: Brandon on March 08, 2014, 06:05:40 PM
Quote from: NE2 on March 08, 2014, 06:01:23 PM

Nope.  They're in so-called "safety zones" by parks and schools.

Way to read my comment then.

Not that every installation is great. Chicago's is probably part of the neoliberal privatization scam.

SD Mapman

Quote from: M86 on March 08, 2014, 01:31:26 AM
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20140307/UPDATES/303070061/Sioux-City-mayor-Daugaard-shields-speeders

And now the Sioux City mayor is voicing his opinion.  He doesn't want the loss of revenue... So clueless... Does he realize that public perception is a huge thing?

The Sioux City, Iowa population has remained stagnant for decades, while nearby competitive city of Sioux Falls, South Dakota has doubled in population since 1980.

I can't wait for SD to pass this, and I don't even live in that state.
I second this as a resident! In my opinion, it's a real jerk move to put speed traps right at transition zones.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

hotdogPi

We need to get rid of all unfair speed traps!
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.