A second Diverging Diamond planned in Minnesota

Started by froggie, March 11, 2011, 02:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

This time on US 52 at Elk Run, between Oronoco and Pine Island.

J N Winkler

Apparently it is a design-build, with the procurement process taking place last year (RFP issued June 3, award announced November 23).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Diverging diamonds are fun!  I went out of my way last time I was in Springfield, MO, to navigate the one there.  I also frequently drive to Minnesota; they need to put one on I-35, though, so it would be on my way... Stinkers...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Ooh!  Just found out there's a new one in Branson, at an exit I use frequently on trips there.  Jct US-65 / MO-248, just north of the Branson Landing roundabout.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

For me the US 52/Elk Run DDI will be even more fun when I can download and study the plans for it.  If it had been done as a conventional design-bid-build contract, the plans would likely be available on MnDOT's EDMS sometime around now.  Since it is a design-build, the record drawings will be uploaded significantly in arrears (probably up to five years) of completion.

MnDOT sign design sheets are fun--nearly always pattern-accurate with none of that Clearview nonsense.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

M86

Not sure if I've mentioned this at all, but they are considering a Diverging Diamond in Sioux Falls, SD as well... It's at the 41st Street & I-29 interchange.
http://sddot.com/PE/projdev/planning_ss_I29Exit77.asp
There's a link to the study.  It looks like they are considering a SPUI as well.  Knowing that study area well, I would say either would be a huge improvement.
Also within the study, they are considering a center turn overpass at 41st & Louise, or triple left turn lanes.  Either would be a first for South Dakota.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.