Has the flashing yellow left turn signal made it to your state?

Started by NJRoadfan, June 17, 2010, 10:58:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawmustard

Quote from: jjakucyk on December 18, 2010, 09:15:40 PM
Also, am I the only one who thinks those cameras on the mast arms like in MDOTFanFB's second picture are just hideous?  Can't they put a light there too?  It just looks so unfinished otherwise. 

I know the rationale for having the video detectors in a higher position, but for whatever reason, a lot of agencies (Wayne County in this particular instance) choose not to install a streetlamp at the end of that arm. It isn't like each one would need a lamp, though.

realjd

Quote from: jjakucyk on December 18, 2010, 09:15:40 PM
Still, this being mostly a span wire state, that should really be accompanied by a secondary tether across the bottom of the signals, as they get blown around a lot more. 

Interestingly, single-cable span wire installations are significantly more resistant to wind damage than those with a secondary tether:
http://www.dot.state.fl.us/research-center/Completed_Proj/Summary_STR/FDOT_BD545_57_rpt.pdf

Not that Ohio has to deal with hurricane force winds very often!

jjakucyk

Quote from: realjd on December 19, 2010, 10:59:23 AM
Interestingly, single-cable span wire installations are significantly more resistant to wind damage than those with a secondary tether:
http://www.dot.state.fl.us/research-center/Completed_Proj/Summary_STR/FDOT_BD545_57_rpt.pdf

Interesting, but they're talking about a tether across the top of the signal, with a pole connecting it to a load-bearing catenary higher up, as in:  http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=orlando,+fl&sll=39.16748,-84.534789&sspn=0.386493,0.624847&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Orlando,+Orange,+Florida&ll=28.450374,-81.400701&spn=0.001722,0.002441&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=28.450368,-81.400785&panoid=pbOEw4cq_AMdiviXKbHtiw&cbp=12,155.83,,0,-8.6

I can see how that would add stresses to the support pole without significantly reducing swinging in heavy winds.  But what I'm talking about is a tether across the BOTTOM of the signal, which also helps to keep signs from flopping around too much as well, like so:  http://maps.google.com/maps?gl=us&om=0&ie=UTF8&ll=39.108352,-84.431973&spn=0.001519,0.002441&z=19&layer=c&cbll=39.108475,-84.432062&panoid=UyFLeuo3AMzXij1WRLFw8w&cbp=12,15.16,,0,-9.14

Of course, Indiana takes it to a somewhat absurd extreme, with a catenary, top tether, AND bottom tether, and no poles.  It seems they don't really like the red arrows much either.  http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=indianapolis,+in&sll=28.450369,-81.400784&sspn=0.001722,0.002441&gl=us&g=Orlando,+Orange,+Florida&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Indianapolis,+Marion,+Indiana&ll=39.926983,-86.158237&spn=0.001493,0.002441&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=39.926987,-86.158033&panoid=XXP0JujHZ32GtjhdTx1-kA&cbp=12,220.14,,0,-6.37

Sorry to stray a bit off topic. 

hm insulators

I've not seen them yet, but apparently a few of these flashing yellow left turn signals have made it to Chandler, Arizona, according to an article in the Arizona Republic the other day.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

tchafe1978

WisDOT pointing to benefits of new flashing yellow turn arrows in Milwaukee County

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/opencms/export/nr/modules/news/news_2458.html_786229440.html

I guess Wisconsin is getting on the bandwagon now. I still have yet to see one of these in operation. I hadn't even heard of them until reading this thread. Guess I better get up to speed.

Crazy Volvo Guy

Quote from: jjakucyk on December 19, 2010, 11:24:49 AMOf course, Indiana takes it to a somewhat absurd extreme, with a catenary, top tether, AND bottom tether, and no poles.  It seems they don't really like the red arrows much either.  http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=indianapolis,+in&sll=28.450369,-81.400784&sspn=0.001722,0.002441&gl=us&g=Orlando,+Orange,+Florida&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Indianapolis,+Marion,+Indiana&ll=39.926983,-86.158237&spn=0.001493,0.002441&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=39.926987,-86.158033&panoid=XXP0JujHZ32GtjhdTx1-kA&cbp=12,220.14,,0,-6.37

I wouldn't call that an absurd extreme at all.  Indiana's span wire installations are among the only ones I've ever seen that actually look alright - with New York being the only other span-wire state I could say that for.

Side note: I used to live right at that intersection when I was a wee little lad.  Behind the McDonalds when what was there were really cool 1970s (loosely) Bavarian styled apartments.
I hate Clearview, because it looks like a cheap Chinese ripoff.

I'm for the Red Sox and whoever's playing against the Yankees.

Scott5114

I just saw the first FYA that I know of in Oklahoma on the way to get milk. It's at the corner of 12th Ave SE and Lindsey Street in Norman. The way they cycle to red before going to FYA is going to take some getting used to. I could see it causing problems if someone ignores the red assuming that it's going to cycle to FYA next and they can go, but instead the light stays on red.

I kind of wonder if 12th and Lindsey is serving as Norman's "test intersection". It is at this point the only intersection in the city that I know of that is using green mixed-case mastarm signage (to comply with the '09 MUTCD) instead of the red and blue signage the rest of the city uses.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadfro

Quote from: Scott5114 on January 27, 2011, 06:49:54 PM
I just saw the first FYA that I know of in Oklahoma on the way to get milk. It's at the corner of 12th Ave SE and Lindsey Street in Norman. The way they cycle to red before going to FYA is going to take some getting used to. I could see it causing problems if someone ignores the red assuming that it's going to cycle to FYA next and they can go, but instead the light stays on red.

Scott, are you saying that the signal cycles like this: Green arrow > Yellow arrow > Red arrow > FYA?  Is this a leading left turn?

If that's the case, the MUTCD does not require that the red arrow follow the steady yellow arrow in this manner. The installations I've seen in Carson City go straight from steady yellow arrow to FYA. This would seem to be the preferred operation, especially since the FYA is supposed to be tied with the opposing green.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

I believe it is a leading left (I may be off on my terminology)–the green arrow comes with the green light for one direction, then switches to FYA, then the opposing direction gets a green light.

Revive 755

Found a bunch of the flashing yellow arrows around Peoria, IL today.  There's one on IL 8 in East Peoria just east of I-74, a lot more on US 150 just east of IL 6, possibly one on IL 9 in Pekin east of IL 29 - couldn't tell for sure, this one might have just been a flashing beacon for a sign - and one on IL 29 south of IL 9 in Pekin.

EDIT:  Forgot to mention that signage with them was not consistent - some had "Left turn yield on flashing yellow arrow," some had the same sign but with a picture of the arrow, and some didn't have any sign.

algorerhythms

Today I went through the intersection at 12th and Lindsey in Norman, OK, where the flashing yellow signal has been installed, and ended up thinking about the familiarity aspect of this signal. Despite having previously seen the Norman Transcript article about it and having seen Scott's post a couple days ago, when I arrived at the intersection, my first thought on seeing the signal was still "a flashing yellow arrow? What the hell does that mean?" If some random person comes up on such an intersection, are they going to be able to figure it out (i.e. are they going to read the sign that explains it)?

roadfro

During the studies, researchers found that the FYA made the most sense intuitively to study participants; there was no sign used to explain FYA displays in the study.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US71

Bentonville, AR has recently added FYA signals near the High School

Addendum: Batesville, AR recently added FYA at a couple intersections.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rawmustard

The city of Kalamazoo is now on a FYA kick. Most of the intersections where they're popping up near downtown had undergone signal upgrades within the last 3-5 years, and one intersection in particular (Water and Edwards) had just been upgraded with doghouses in the latter part of last year. I believe I've mentioned that the Kalamazoo signal engineer liked to use lagging lefts with the doghouses, so I consider this a positive development.

Revive 755

Scott5114

Quote from: algorerhythms on January 30, 2011, 01:03:24 AM
Today I went through the intersection at 12th and Lindsey in Norman, OK, where the flashing yellow signal has been installed, and ended up thinking about the familiarity aspect of this signal. Despite having previously seen the Norman Transcript article about it and having seen Scott's post a couple days ago, when I arrived at the intersection, my first thought on seeing the signal was still "a flashing yellow arrow? What the hell does that mean?" If some random person comes up on such an intersection, are they going to be able to figure it out (i.e. are they going to read the sign that explains it)?

Not sure if you have utilities through the City of Norman or not, but with last month's bill they included a brochure on FYA's.

mgk920

Quote from: tchafe1978 on December 22, 2010, 10:44:11 AM
WisDOT pointing to benefits of new flashing yellow turn arrows in Milwaukee County

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/opencms/export/nr/modules/news/news_2458.html_786229440.html

I guess Wisconsin is getting on the bandwagon now. I still have yet to see one of these in operation. I hadn't even heard of them until reading this thread. Guess I better get up to speed.

There is now one of these at the US 41/WI 26 interchange in Oshkosh.

Mike

andytom

There are so many in Beaverton, now, that you have to remember to stop at the few that haven't been changed yet and in neigboring cities that haven't started yet.

--Andy

roadfro

What is Nevada DOT doing with $1 million...installing (converting?) about 58 FYAs around Reno/Sparks, Carson City & Douglas County.

"Flashing yellow lights are coming"
Quote from: Reno Gazette Journal
Truckee Meadows motorists will soon notice flashing yellow lights at intersections across Northern Nevada as part of a program to make them more cautious when making left turns.

Fifty-eight signals will be installed at intersections in Reno-Sparks, elsewhere in Washoe County, Carson City and Douglas County at a cost of about $1 million. The program is administered by the Nevada Department of Transportation, the Regional Transportation Commission and other agencies.

The yellow signals -- flashing arrows -- will be placed over left turn lanes and are designed to emphasize motorists must be cautious when making left turns, yielding to oncoming vehicles and pedestrians. Experts said they believe the yellow lights are more effective than circular green lights previously used.

For more information visit www.nevadadot.com/flashingyellow

According to a February 8th interview at KOLO8-TV News: There are going to be over 100 intersections within these areas. The first Reno area install was to have been finished on February 27th, with two more installs per day as they move forward through March.

I haven't seen any Reno ones yet, but I haven't had occasion to do too much driving lately. Interesting, since as I recall the FYA as adopted by the MUTCD started off here in Reno, but has not been seen on the city's streets for the last 10+ years. I am wondering how drivers will take to it now...

roadfro

Following up to my previous post... I've been seeing more and more of these installations pop up around Reno lately. Every site I've seen them at thus far, they've all been replacements where previously a protected/permitted 5-section doghouse (mastarm) or 5-section vertical (far pole mount) displays had been used. I've seen nothing new as of yet.

cu2010

I saw one in Michigan during my trip there a few weeks ago...just off I-94 along 26 Mile Rd/Marine City Highway. It was...well, odd to me, being a New Yorker and never having seen one before...I think I prefer the doghouse.

I still haven't seen any here in western NY...though NY has been quickly jumping on the stupid "must make street blades mixed-case and uber-reflective so we waste taxpayer money...and while we're at it let's use Extra Large Leading Letters in our directional blades and ugly NY shields" bandwagon, so seeing the FYA soon wouldn't surprise me one bit...

(and to think of how much money spent that could be better spent elsewhere!)
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Revive 755

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 17, 2011, 06:51:27 PM
More of them coming to Illinois, this time in Chillicothe:

http://www.chillicothetimesbulletin.com/news/x243993208/Chillicothes-three-traffic-signals-to-have-yellow-arrows-installed-this-week

Looks like District 4 (Peoria) is using them.  We'll see if District 1 (Chicago) uses them.  They have a thing for towers.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Ace10

I think they're putting one up in a new intersection on County Road 535 in Orange County, just north of the Magic Kingdom (the intersection itself is not on Disney property). The signal isn't operating yet, but I noticed the left turn signal has four signal heads, and it appears that there is one green, two yellow, and one red. Will be interesting to see how these Florida drivers can handle it.

realjd

They're coming to Brevard County, FL also:
http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20110610/NEWS01/106100322/New-type-traffic-signal-coming-Brevard?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

It sounds like they're going to completely replace doghouse signals whenever they redo intersections. It also is interesting that they're using a 4-head signal instead of the 5-head signal that I usually see for FYA.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.