News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Potential SR 50 bypass around Groveland: http://www.grovelandsr50.com/
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

D-Dey65

Quote from: NE2 on September 12, 2014, 12:58:54 AM
Potential SR 50 bypass around Groveland: http://www.grovelandsr50.com/
I'm not going to lie to you; I wasn't a big fan of the concept at first. I know there's a need for a truck bypass around Downtown Groveland, but something about it makes me think this might become a false promise of a bypass, like NYS 347. My biggest pet peeve is the sharp turns at SR 33. Also that cul-de-sac they want to make out of the eastbound lane should really be extended to Ivey Avenue.

mefailenglish

MDX is looking into a southwesterly extension of the Dolphin (836) toward West Kendall.  They had a public meeting last week.

Fact Sheet with map

NE2

Noticed a new ballsy I-4 shield (July 2013 photo) westbound after exit 17. It replaced this neuter (April 2012 photo).

Alex

Quote from: NE2 on September 18, 2014, 02:53:09 PM
Noticed a new ballsy I-4 shield (July 2013 photo) westbound after exit 17. It replaced this neuter (April 2012 photo).

Yes, Brent posted about this on June 2, 2013.

There are a handful of state named shields also posted on SR 33 at the south interchange with I-4, and state named shields for both I-4 and I-75 on US 92 (Hillsborough Avenue) east where it joins the c/d roadway system for Interstate 4:

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DeaconG

Yes! Now if we can get Lawtey to knock it off we'll be OK, relatively speaking...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

roadman65

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/features/gone-viral/os-state-of-south-florida-20141021-post.html Florida may be split into Florida and South Florida.  This article from the Orlando Sentinel states that some lawmakers have proposed the idea with the line being between Hillsborough, Polk, Osceola, Orange and Brevard.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

That will happen. (PS: it's not off-topic because roads cause global warming which causes sea level rise which causes realigned roads.)

adventurernumber1

If South Florida becomes a state, and if the capitol for it is in central present FL (as said in the video), my top guess is it would be Orlando. Anybody think so too?
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

NE2

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 21, 2014, 08:18:12 PM
If South Florida becomes a state, and if the capitol for it is in central present FL (as said in the video), my top guess is it would be Orlando. Anybody think so too?
Yeehaw Junction due to its location at an important crossroads (actually 5-way starroads).

jwolfer

There were proposals in the 1950s to move the capital of Florida to Orlando. My mom is from Gainesville and she remembers the proposals. It makes sense now.. But in 1845 there really wasn't shit in peninsular Florida..

formulanone

I've passed by this road about 20 times, always wanted to drive on it for the hell of it...here's Collier County Road 839:

Pavement ends after a few hundred feet...

ORV buggies!

Vultures moved out of the way, just before approaching the Alligator Alley overpasses:

Wanna know what's underneath it?

End of the road - permits required after this point.

Slash pines and sabal palms.

D-Dey65

I saw this along Citrus County Road 486 in Hernando, Florida earlier this month:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hernando_Elementary_School_Buses_Only_sign.JPG
Does that look MUTCD-compliant to you? Because I would've thought a regulatory sign would've made much more sense.

NE2

Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 22, 2014, 01:39:43 AM
I saw this along Citrus County Road 486 in Hernando, Florida earlier this month:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hernando_Elementary_School_Buses_Only_sign.JPG
Does that look MUTCD-compliant to you? Because I would've thought a regulatory sign would've made much more sense.
It's on "private" property, so MUTCD doesn't apply. (Is there a term for land that's owned by a public authority but isn't open to the public as roads are?)

freebrickproductions

Quote from: NE2 on October 22, 2014, 01:49:52 AM
(Is there a term for land that's owned by a public authority but isn't open to the public as roads are?)
Private-public?
Public-private?
Take your pick.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Brian556

Check this out on street view. On SR 436, at the new Red Bug Lake Road overpass, there is a KEEP RIGHT sign on an island that separates traffic traveling in the same direction. Boneheads.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.648992,-81.325383&spn=0.000002,0.001549&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=28.649066,-81.325474&panoid=QPo1k5-l8mdaxASYDkxcVg&cbp=12,115.53,,2,0

lepidopteran

Quote from: formulanone on October 21, 2014, 11:19:32 PM
I've passed by this road about 20 times, always wanted to drive on it for the hell of it...here's Collier County Road 839:

One reason there's an extra span on the overpass, is that a railroad used to parallel the road.  The tracks here were likely ripped up in the '60s, but nonetheless, the span clearance was maintained when Alligator Alley was improved to Interstate standards some 20+ years later.

http://www.abandonedrails.com/Harrisburg_to_Everglades_City

NE2

Quote from: lepidopteran on November 14, 2014, 01:33:32 PM
Quote from: formulanone on October 21, 2014, 11:19:32 PM
One reason there's an extra span on the overpass, is that a railroad used to parallel the road.  The tracks here were likely ripped up in the '60s, but nonetheless, the span clearance was maintained when Alligator Alley was improved to Interstate standards some 20+ years later.

http://www.abandonedrails.com/Harrisburg_to_Everglades_City
WTF? That railroad paralleled SR 29, not CR 839. CR 839 has a canal next to it.

roadman65

Quote from: Brian556 on November 14, 2014, 12:35:43 AM
Check this out on street view. On SR 436, at the new Red Bug Lake Road overpass, there is a KEEP RIGHT sign on an island that separates traffic traveling in the same direction. Boneheads.

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.648992,-81.325383&spn=0.000002,0.001549&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=28.649066,-81.325474&panoid=QPo1k5-l8mdaxASYDkxcVg&cbp=12,115.53,,2,0
You should have posted it in erroneous road signs over in traffic control.  If that is not erroneous, I do not know what is then.

Sheryl Crowe

DeaconG

Had a couple of chances to drive into Cocoa last week and drove up US 1 north of downtown to check on the progress of the widening.

First, the merge from Forrest Avenue to US 1 is history-it was dangerous to begin with because there was virtually no merge there in the first place and many folks had a nasty habit of creeping onto US 1 when punching it was required.  Now you have to stop at the light before turning right, which is a good thing.

The traffic is still shifted onto the old NB lanes while the new SB lanes are being built; there's some paving being done between the southern end of the construction at Park to Dixon Blvd, with new traffic light booms being installed at the intersection of Dixon and US 1. North of Dixon they're still grading the new SB lanes, although they're putting in the concrete curbs up to Michigan.  North of Michigan and up to the northern end of the construction at Cidco Road they're grading only, they don't seem to be in a big hurry to get done either.

Signage is saying that the project will be done by Spring 2016-I hope there are still businesses on US 1 by then; there was an article in the Florida Today newspaper last week about how the existing businesses there are already being hammered by over a year and a half of construction.

The repaving project on US 1 between Cidco Road to TICO Airport is pretty far along, with both sets of lanes being paved and striped from the airport to the southern end of Port St. John and repaving being done on the SB lanes south of there.

They're also repaving SR 407 from the Beachline to I-95, I got caught in it a couple of days ago coming home from work in Orlando. Won't do THAT again; once the traffic got stopped by flagmen it took 15-20 minutes before it moved again.  Lesson learned, I took 528 to 95 and exited at PSJ instead the next day.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

FLRoads

Quote from: roadman65 on November 14, 2014, 01:58:10 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on November 14, 2014, 12:35:43 AM

You should have posted it in erroneous road signs over in traffic control.  If that is not erroneous, I do not know what is then.

It's actually not an erroneous placement; it's just SOP for FDOT. That KEEP RIGHT sign is most likely for drivers coming out of the shopping center north of the Kewannee Trail traffic light. If one is wanting to get to Red Bug Lake Road from the shopping center parking lot, they should theoretically turn left onto mainline SR 436 south (not the flyover lanes), then use the at-grade turn lane to access Red Bug Lake Road east. Same goes for those on Kewannee Trail. Drivers could probably make that turn right onto the flyover from the parking lot, but that wasn't the intent when they designed it. Plus if you look toward the shopping center using Street View, you should see the back of a guide sign that more than likely shows this movement to the mainline of SR 436. I only know a lot about this intersection because I used to live around the corner so I heard and knew what they were planning to do with it.

Next time I head to Casselberry I will have to investigate and see exactly what that sign facing the shopping center indicates.

emory

In January I'll be back in Florida for business reasons for two weeks, and I'll be covering nearly all the state, so I'm hoping to get some pics while down there.

Fred Defender

Here's a question regarding the construction of I-75 in Charlotte County:

According to NBI, the I-75 bridges over Riverside Drive and CSX Railroad near Punta Gorda were constructed in 1975. I grew up thirty miles up the road in Venice and I distinctly remember when I-75 was being built south of Tampa (I was just out of high school). I'm almost positive that the bridges over the Caloosahatchee River near Fort Myers were the first I-75 projects constructed. They were completed in 1977 so I would say that construction would have begun in '75. I remember driving (unlawfully, of course) on the section south of Punta Gorda from SR762 (Tucker's Grade) to Oil Well Road in January of '79 and that section had just been recently paved. The section of I-75 north of 762 did not open until 1981 or '82. I find it hard to believe that the Riverside Dr bridges were built in '75 when the rest of the bridges in that area were built between 1979 and '81.

Any old Charlotte County residents out there that can verify for me?

Post Merge: November 30, 2014, 05:25:26 PM

Here's another I-75 construction question - this one from Alachua County, 200 miles north of Charlotte and fifteen years earlier:

Does anyone know how they constructed I-75 across Payne's Prairie south of Gainesville? Anyone familiar with this stretch knows that it consists of a 1+ mile section of road that is built up probably ten feet above the surrounding swampy area. This represents a s***load of fill. Surely, this wasn't all trucked in one load at a time. I'm assuming that the fill was dredged from the surrounding Payne's Prairie.

I have a good friend who began teaching at UF in 1959. So he was definitely in Gainesville while I-75 was being built in 1963. I've asked him. He said that he just doesn't remember how they built it.
AGAM

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.