News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tobacco in drinking fountains

Started by bandit957, December 06, 2016, 09:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Anyone ever see drinking fountains where people spit out huge wads of tobacco?

In college, this happened all the time. You'd go to a drinking fountain, and there'd be a big pile of tobacco in it. Occasionally bubble gum too, but usually tobacco. What was especially funny was when someone would blow a bubble with their gum and deposit it in the fountain.

Finally, someone (probably a professor) got fed up and taped a sign above one of the drinking fountains that said, "Please do not spit chewing substances into this fountain." That covered tobacco as well as bubble gum.

Also, someone once stuck bubble gum on a poster of singer Jewel. They blew a bubble and stuck it right over Jewel's mouth, to make it appear as if Jewel was bubbling.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

coatimundi

In the 80's in Tennessee, we had drinking fountains that spat out tobacco. We called them dip drips.

pumpkineater2

Fortunately for me, the drinking fountain in my dorm building has remained pleasantly devoid of unsightly stray debris for the entire semester. However, the elevators are not so lucky.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Brian556

Kinda surprised that chewing tobacco was a thing at a college campus. The only people I've ever seen do it are uneducated people from rural areas.

When tobacco chewers spit out a waud, it looks like they are dropping a deuce out of their mouth.

jwolfer

Quote from: Brian556 on December 06, 2016, 08:00:10 PM
Kinda surprised that chewing tobacco was a thing at a college campus. The only people I've ever seen do it are uneducated people from rural areas.

When tobacco chewers spit out a waud, it looks like they are dropping a deuce out of their mouth.
My first roommate in college used to leave spit cups to ferment and. Grow mold on his desk.. It was disgusting..

Baseball players seem to chee frequently

LGMS428

bandit957

Quote from: jwolfer on December 07, 2016, 11:48:09 PM
Baseball players seem to chee frequently

Baseball players mostly chew bubble gum. They're always blowing huge bubbles. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. When you watch a game on TV, and the camera is set way back behind the pitcher's mound, you can always see a pink oval expanding from the batter's mouth, hundreds of feet in the distance.

Also, when I was in high school (a Catholic school in the late '80s), kids chewed tobacco. One day, we had a Walk-a-Thon, where we walked for miles around local roads to raise money. One of my school pals walked up to me and said, "Hey Tim, look at this." He pulled his lower lip down and revealed a huge wad of tobacco between his lip and lower front teeth. Of course, people also blew bubbles with bubble gum and lit a match to it.

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on December 08, 2016, 09:37:50 AM

Baseball players mostly chew bubble gum. They're always blowing huge bubbles. It's been that way for as long as I can remember. When you watch a game on TV, and the camera is set way back behind the pitcher's mound, you can always see a pink oval expanding from the batter's mouth, hundreds of feet in the distance.

If I'm not mistaken, MLB banned the use of tobacco during games several years ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

GCrites

I seem to recall that the Minor Leagues actually banned tobacco long before the Majors did.

Duke87

I can't offhand recall seeing chewing tobacco in a water fountain. Chewing tobacco isn't really a thing around here.

Certainly encountered cigarette butts in them, though.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

noelbotevera

I've seen gum in drinking fountains...one of them clogged the spout.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

bandit957

Quote from: noelbotevera on December 08, 2016, 11:51:21 PM
I've seen gum in drinking fountains...one of them clogged the spout.

In high school, someone stuck bubble gum over the faucet at the sink in the boys' restroom. This caused the water to shoot out horizontally, which hit people in the crotch, making it appear they wet their pants.

coatimundi

Quote from: GCrites80s on December 08, 2016, 08:34:34 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on December 08, 2016, 12:16:59 PM
If I'm not mistaken, MLB banned the use of tobacco during games several years ago.

I seem to recall that the Minor Leagues actually banned tobacco long before the Majors did.

If I recollect correctly, Little League banned tobacco use among its players long before either. Except in NC, of course.

triplemultiplex

"Here kids, practice on this.  Then when you get your big boy hair, you can upgrade to the real stuff and enjoy that sweet, sweet poison."
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.