News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Re-signing Along I-25 in Northern New Mexico

Started by The High Plains Traveler, February 25, 2012, 10:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The High Plains Traveler

A topic almost not worthy of a post except that it corrects some very typical New Mexico signing errors and fixes signs that were so weathered some had lost entire panels. From about Wagon Mound to Raton, it looks like the state has done essentially a complete interchange sign replacement. A few observations:

- At Springer, U.S. 412 gets no mention on the mainline any more. For those not familiar with the setup here, the only interchanges are with the I-25 Business Loop north and south of town, and there are four marked routes that end on the I-25 Business Loop without a direct interchange with I-25. NM-21 and NM-468 go west and U.S. 56-412 goes east. The new signage southbound lists only BL I-25/Springer one mile out, then an auxiliary sign for U.S. 56/Clayton midway, and finally at the exit all four routes including the two state highways are shown. The old signage was similar but used U.S. 56/412 in a single shield. I think I saw the fractional sign at the top of the ramp as we went by, though.

- The fix of the very New Mexico error I noted above was that approaching both Raton and Springer from the south, the business loop signs actually used red-white-blue interstate signs. No mention of "Business" anywhere.  Those are gone.

- Three digit New Mexico routes on guide signs have always used either a circle or true ellipse. These new signs use a stretched circle like you see on Google Maps, i.e. the center portion is a straight line.

"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

xonhulu

Don't be apologetic; this topic is as worthy as many of the other things posted on here.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I never sensed New Mexico was very enthusiastic about US 412.  I'm actually surprised they don't end it in Clayton, much like Colorado ends US 400 in Granada.

The fractional US 56/412 shields are simultaneously interesting and hideous.  They're like the bearded woman I saw in a convenience store a few years back: I didn't want to look, but I kept glancing back because I couldn't believe my eyes.

brad2971

Quote from: xonhulu on February 25, 2012, 11:37:12 AM
Don't be apologetic; this topic is as worthy as many of the other things posted on here.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but I never sensed New Mexico was very enthusiastic about US 412.  I'm actually surprised they don't end it in Clayton, much like Colorado ends US 400 in Granada.

The fractional US 56/412 shields are simultaneously interesting and hideous.  They're like the bearded woman I saw in a convenience store a few years back: I didn't want to look, but I kept glancing back because I couldn't believe my eyes.

I'm surprised that NMDOT hasn't tried to end both US56 and US 412 by simply routing US64 onto it, then shifting US64 onto NM-58 to Cimarron. Helps get rid of 2 numbers that make no real sense.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: xonhulu on February 25, 2012, 11:37:12 AM

I haven't driven 56 from Springer to Clayton since 412 was added, but a little random sampling with Streetview suggests the fractional signs are standard. There are some freestanding 412 signs in Clayton, though, at the junction with 64/87.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.