News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illinois State Police correct common driving misconceptions

Started by SSOWorld, June 23, 2016, 10:52:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

"Misconceptions?"  From a certain point of view

http://kwqc.com/2016/06/22/illinois-state-police-correct-common-driving-misconceptions/

1) Speed Limits: The why don't they enforce it on an absolute basis? Also, why can't politicians let engineers do their job?  Instead, they are insistent on artificially low limits (NE Illinois, I'm looking at YOU!.)
2) I don't object to the rule, but they like to pay attention to detail, don't they?  How about eating while driving?
3) Then why don't they enforce this?  Also there's seems to be a difference between "Slower Traffic - keep right" and this.
4) That's what the car keeps telling me.
5) But you can touch your radio, GPS, climate control, etc? Oh, not used as much...
6) Nobody else around? The deer doesn't understand the turn signal. Be a robot anyway. also - did you measure?
7) Then why put car-pool lanes in the shoulder, or expand road capacity by removing the shoulder?

This applies all-around the country (I don't know enforcement patterns outside the U.S.).  I look at some of these and say "no shit Sherlock!".  These campaigns have become no more than a publicity stunt by politicians, the media and others.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

kalvado

One thing for sure.. If you have a question about traffic regulations - do NOT ask a cop. Our local "lieutenant XXX who is in charge of traffic at town PD" is a real clown, for example.

english si

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 23, 2016, 10:52:12 AM3) Then why don't they enforce this?
Because it's not very detrimental to safety and merely about politeness? Or rather not getting in people's way should they wish to pass (ie move right to be overtaken - with plenty of time if its clear) is about politeness. As they point out, it's the disdain of other motorists that's as much of an issue for the violator than the long arm of the law.
QuoteAlso there's seems to be a difference between "Slower Traffic - keep right" and this.
Indeed.
Quote6) Nobody else around? The deer doesn't understand the turn signal. Be a robot anyway. also - did you measure?
In the UK, if you cross lanes to pass a parked car in your test, and indicate despite their being no one around, you get a demerit for lack of observation. If there's people around and you don't signal, you are also demerited.

You have to signal at junctions, because there might be road users you haven't seen.

Avalanchez71

In Tennessee you do not have to signal a turn if there is no traffic.  The TN Supreme Court has also opined that this rule doesn't really apply to an observing law enforcment officer.

In other words if I am a law enforcement officer behind a driver and there is no other traffic the court has ruled that the law enforcement officer may not neccesarily determine the lack of signal as probable cause for a stop if no other traffic is present.

jeffandnicole

QuoteTroopers have noticed some disturbing trends of driving behavior over the past few months...

Yeah, because society suddenly want to hell in March, 2016. Speeding has been a thing since, oh, the days of the first cars, with the NMSL aggravating the issue.

I can't speak for anyone directly, but it sounds like a slow news day. I seriously doubt anyone at the police were actually contacted...otherwise they'll use actual names rather than the generic "District 7".

SidS1045

My objection to their take on speed limits ("The unfortunate fact is this violation is one of the most common causes of fatal crashes.") is that it's just factually wrong and morally dishonest.  If a crash results from someone driving too fast, a sign by the side of the road had nothing to do with it.  After all this time and the mountains of evidence to the contrary, it's frustrating that no law enforcement authority has the guts to level with drivers and stop obsessing over speed limits.

Unle$$, of cour$e, there'$ another rea$on for their ob$e$$ion...
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

kphoger

Most speed-related crashes are due to driving "too fast for conditions", which is independent of the speed on the sign.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 23, 2016, 01:29:41 PM
QuoteTroopers have noticed some disturbing trends of driving behavior over the past few months...

Yeah, because society suddenly want to hell in March, 2016. Speeding has been a thing since, oh, the days of the first cars, with the NMSL aggravating the issue.

I am pretty sure problem started mid-may. I was in Chicago area for a few days - and beyond any reasonable doubt, this is squarely my fault....

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on June 24, 2016, 11:35:41 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 23, 2016, 01:29:41 PM

I am pretty sure problem started mid-may. I was in Chicago area for a few days - and beyond any reasonable doubt, this is squarely my fault....

Well, geez, way to go..!..   ;-)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

Quote from: SidS1045 on June 24, 2016, 11:13:32 AM
My objection to their take on speed limits ("The unfortunate fact is this violation is one of the most common causes of fatal crashes.") is that it's just factually wrong and morally dishonest.  If a crash results from someone driving too fast, a sign by the side of the road had nothing to do with it.  After all this time and the mountains of evidence to the contrary, it's frustrating that no law enforcement authority has the guts to level with drivers and stop obsessing over speed limits.

Unle$$, of cour$e, there'$ another rea$on for their ob$e$$ion...

There are some who do.

Michigan State Police Say Most Speed Limits are Too Low

QuoteIn his capacity as the former head of the MSP's  Traffic Services Section it was Lt. Gary Megge's job to eliminate speed traps set up by local municipalities. A few years ago Megge told the Detroit News, "I've spent eight years in traffic services, and I was a crash reconstructionist for five years before that, so I've seen my share of fatal wrecks, and I can tell you: Deaths are not caused by speeding. They're caused by drinking, drugs and inattentiveness. The old adage that speed kills just isn't realistic. The safest speed is the speed that is correct for that roadway at a given time. A lot of speed limits are set artificially low."
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SidS1045

And farther down in the article sits the real reason speed limits are set too low:  "The cities opposed using such (traffic engineering) studies because they almost invariably call for higher speed limits, potentially reducing revenue from speeding tickets."

Whenever you need a reason for low speed limits, just follow the money.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

DevalDragon

Occasionally they do. I was driving north on I-355 at 127th Street and there was a Suburban in the left lane doing 55 (the speed limit then). A marked State Trooper came up to her and rode her ass for a mile or so. The driver seemed oblivious, so the Trooper lit her up. And it took her another half mile before she noticed the Trooper wanted to have a conversation with her.

I agree they need to enforce the "slower traffic keep right" better than they do, but it's still satisfying to see the few that do get pulled over for it.

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 23, 2016, 10:52:12 AM
3) Then why don't they enforce this?  Also there's seems to be a difference between "Slower Traffic - keep right" and this.

US 81

Quote from: DevalDragon on June 25, 2016, 01:00:31 AM
Occasionally they do. I was driving north on I-355 at 127th Street and there was a Suburban in the left lane doing 55 (the speed limit then). A marked State Trooper came up to her and rode her ass for a mile or so. The driver seemed oblivious, so the Trooper lit her up. And it took her another half mile before she noticed the Trooper wanted to have a conversation with her.

I agree they need to enforce the "slower traffic keep right" better than they do, but it's still satisfying to see the few that do get pulled over for it.

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 23, 2016, 10:52:12 AM

How I would love to have seen that. I have had the opposite experience: I was on I-20 doing 67 trying to get around the 65mph truck in the right lane. When the trooper came up behind I sped up to 70 to let him around and he pulled me over for speeding.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.