News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

For all you toll-road-hating "shunpikers" out there...

Started by hbelkins, June 23, 2016, 12:55:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Here's your sign!

On US 27 in Nicholasville, Ky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

I think a more fitting one for Kentucky would be named "No Weigh Station".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mapmikey

Henry

Now that's a funny street/road name, if I ever saw one!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jp the roadgeek

CT 3 in Cromwell is known locally as Shunpike Rd.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: hbelkins on June 23, 2016, 12:55:30 PM
Here's your sign!

It is near a troll road? :sombrero: Being in Kentucky I guess it's nowhere near a toll road.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 23, 2016, 05:52:45 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 23, 2016, 12:55:30 PM
Here's your sign!

It is near a troll road? :sombrero: Being in Kentucky I guess it's nowhere near a toll road.

Many shunpikes got their names over a century ago. I wouldn't be surprised if some rinky-dink 2 lane stagecoach dirt road had a toll on it nearby!

roadman65

Springfield, NJ and Chatam, NJ have street names of Shunpike Road.  Both were probably named for the nearby Morris & Essex Turnpike as they do parallel it which is now NJ 124.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

triplemultiplex

The fact that it's a sign indicating a traffic signal ahead only adds an additional layer of humor to it.  Because as we know, nearly every shunpike is clogged with traffic signals, lower speed limits and local traffic.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

empirestate

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 24, 2016, 10:54:09 PM
The fact that it's a sign indicating a traffic signal ahead only adds an additional layer of humor to it.  Because as we know, nearly every shunpike is clogged with traffic signals, lower speed limits and local traffic.

Yep.
https://goo.gl/maps/Xj91eXrTHZC2

roadman65

I wish we had signs to get people to Shunpike the Beachline Expressway in Orlando.  Too many "I did not know this is a toll road!" or "I have no money and did not know that I would need cash for a toll" or the other excuses out there I hear.  However, the state and car rental agencies love these people as its easy revenue for our ignorant society, and of course signs are no longer read by the average Joe behind the wheel.

But yes, as far as signals go, I had one couple say to me that they would rather use US 441 from FL 528 to Ocala than pay a measly 4 bucks on the Turnpike from the same locations.  They were well aware of the many stoplights that US 441 has from Orlando to Ocala, but felt that was a reasonable sacrifice.  The fact is not only is 441 with many traffic lights, but longer in distance than the Turnpike & I-75 between the two cities. And not just your basic longer, but 441 goes North to Northwest and then West before going back to Northwest where the Toll Road goes Northwest to I-75 and then north on the interstate.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: roadman65 on June 26, 2016, 05:15:51 PM
I wish we had signs to get people to Shunpike the Beachline Expressway in Orlando.  Too many "I did not know this is a toll road!" or "I have no money and did not know that I would need cash for a toll" or the other excuses out there I hear. ....

So how do you respond?

(I once led my (now-)wife onto Route 417 in our pre-SunPass days and she didn't know we were going onto a toll road, so at each toll plaza I told the guy I wanted to pay for the vehicle behind me. Worked quite well AFTER the first toll plaza. Reason we were in separate cars was that her father had moved down to Florida from Ohio but was too old to drive himself, so we brought his car down on the Auto Train at Thanksgiving.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.