Incorrect highways marked on Google Maps

Started by Riverside Frwy, November 08, 2009, 09:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfwmapper

The fix only required changing a single object, the U.S. 3 route. The name was added as an alternate to that, which is completely wrong as NH doesn't have a state route 3, and MA's state route 3 is a continuation from the southern terminus of US 3. Even if there was a co-signed state route (a la Georgia) it would need to be added as a completely separate route. Adding, removing, or modifying names on an existing route is just very slow for some reason. It would be faster to update the map by creating a completely new U.S. 3 route and adding it to all the appropriate road segments, but a change like that would never get approved.

Zeffy

I saw these county road mistakes on Google Maps. The only counties in New Jersey that actually break away from the 5xx and 6xx/7xx route numbering system is Bergen County and Monmouth County.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

dfwmapper

Quote from: Zeffy on December 20, 2014, 10:47:45 AM
I saw these county road mistakes on Google Maps. The only counties in New Jersey that actually break away from the 5xx and 6xx/7xx route numbering system is Bergen County and Monmouth County.
Removed 5 and 6, extended 629 down to 567, and added 667. Any I missed?

NE2

Quote from: Zeffy on December 20, 2014, 10:47:45 AM
And Ocean.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

http://www.fbctra.com/roads/grand-parkway-toll-road.html
QuoteMotorist[sic] may still use the Grand Parkway and avoid paying tolls by exiting prior to the tolled overpasses.
The Goog shows it all as a toll road.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hotdogPi

Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2014, 08:05:02 PM
http://www.fbctra.com/roads/grand-parkway-toll-road.html
QuoteMotorist[sic] may still use the Grand Parkway and avoid paying tolls by exiting prior to the tolled overpasses.
The Goog shows it all as a toll road.

It also shows the Thruway between I-88 and I-87 north as a toll road (I seem to remember that you pay $0.00 when doing that).
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

empirestate

Quote from: 1 on December 20, 2014, 08:12:47 PM
It also shows the Thruway between I-88 and I-87 north as a toll road (I seem to remember that you pay $0.00 when doing that).

Yes, but if you pass through that stretch you still get charged for that mileage.

cl94

Quote from: empirestate on December 20, 2014, 08:20:08 PM
Quote from: 1 on December 20, 2014, 08:12:47 PM

Yes, but if you pass through that stretch you still get charged for that mileage.

Agree. Not an error. Only free if you're going between I-88 and Exit 24 or either I-890 exit. IIRC, this was part of the deal when the freeway alternate to NY 7 was canceled.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

NE2

It is an error to show a toll on I-90 east of I-88. Think about it this way: if you tell the Goog to avoid tolls in going from Binghamton to Albany, you want it to route you along the Thruway.

If you pass over a segment marked toll, you pay a toll. So two of the four ramps at I-890 west should be marked as toll, since you have to pay to go between exit 24 and I-890, but if you stay on and exit at I-88 you don't have to pay.

vdeane

Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2014, 09:12:17 PM
It is an error to show a toll on I-90 east of I-88. Think about it this way: if you tell the Goog to avoid tolls in going from Binghamton to Albany, you want it to route you along the Thruway.

If you pass over a segment marked toll, you pay a toll. So two of the four ramps at I-890 west should be marked as toll, since you have to pay to go between exit 24 and I-890, but if you stay on and exit at I-88 you don't have to pay.
If you get on at exit 26 and exit at exit 25 (basically taking the Thruway between both ends of I-890), you pay a toll, but your scheme would show that as free (no tolls between 26 and 25A either).  If you're passing through and want to pay no toll on that stretch, you'd have to exit at 24, U turn, exit again at 25A, U turn again, and then do the same thing one more time at 26.  Everyone else on that segment continues to pay the toll as if no deal existed there - traffic coming from the west doesn't pay the same toll at 24 as it does at 25A, for example, even if it would have used I-88 had it been built.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

Quote from: vdeane on December 21, 2014, 07:37:10 PM
Quote from: NE2 on December 20, 2014, 09:12:17 PM

If you get on at exit 26 and exit at exit 25 (basically taking the Thruway between both ends of I-890), you pay a toll, but your scheme would show that as free (no tolls between 26 and 25A either).
Nope. The mainline between the I-88 ramps would still be toll.

national highway 1

http://goo.gl/maps/3Cnnd
Stray I-15 shield in Nogales, AZ, should be a MX 15 shield, and should not be shown on the American side of the border.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Mr. Matté

In GE, a state highway that hasn't appeared in over 60 years appears here, but it's not in MapMaker so I don't know where the heck they're getting their data.

freebrickproductions

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but CR 382 in Gulf County, FL (just north of Port St. Joe) is marked as SR 382.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

dfwmapper

Quote from: freebrickproductions on December 24, 2014, 03:33:35 PM
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but CR 382 in Gulf County, FL (just north of Port St. Joe) is marked as SR 382.
Fixed.

lordsutch

Non-existent or long-dead GA 361 is marked on several roads around Macon (Hartley Bridge, Bass, Tucker, Fulton Mill).

GA 11 is marked on its old alignment (Houston Road) rather than its "new" one (Industrial Highway and Hawkinsville Road, multiplexed with GA 49 and US 41).

Eth

Quote from: lordsutch on December 25, 2014, 05:06:41 PM
Non-existent or long-dead GA 361 is marked on several roads around Macon (Hartley Bridge, Bass, Tucker, Fulton Mill).

See also nearby GA 148 east of Bolingbroke, which has been gone for about 50 years. Scrolling north a bit, you'll also find GA 221, which shuffled off this mortal coil back in the 1980s.

Ga293

A few more dead Georgia SR's still with shields on Google:

• 373 east of Calhoun
  • 205 south of Canton
  • 342 north of Dawsonville
  • 113 through downtown Rockmart

A whole stew of errors here.

adventurernumber1

This is US 19/US 129 just south of US 64/US 74 in NC. This road heads south to Blairsville, GA so this has to be wrong. I've also come upon this typo several times the past few months. Not the hugest error in town but I hope to try to help Google Maps be as accurate as possible  :sombrero:

EDIT: Also, I just noticed this as well, in that same pic. It is literally right next to the GA line, but GA 11 doesn't extend into NC  :-P
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

national highway 1

"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

myosh_tino

Quote from: national highway 1 on January 19, 2015, 10:43:56 PM
Someone deleted a section of CA 1 in Marin County
http://goo.gl/maps/89QhY

Actually, the big storms that hit California in December washed out portions of CA-1 between Muir Woods and Muir Beach which forced Caltrans to close that stretch of highway which is roughly what was deleted on Google Maps.  According to news reports, the road is going to remain closed until March at the earliest.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2014/12/11/highway-1-from-muir-beach-to-muir-woods-closed-due-to-road-collapse-marin-county-storm/
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

NE2

And if I'm planning a trip in June, I'm fucked. Thanks, Goog!

myosh_tino

Quote from: NE2 on January 19, 2015, 11:42:42 PM

Any recommendation on how Google Maps should handle temporary closures?
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

NE2

Quote from: myosh_tino on January 20, 2015, 01:38:37 AM
Quote from: NE2 on January 19, 2015, 11:42:42 PM

Any recommendation on how Google Maps should handle temporary closures?

Same way they handle winter closures. Say 'this road might be closed'.

freebrickproductions

In Spring City, TN, TN 68 is shown going down the wrong road.
It needs to be going along this road rather than through the  downtown.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.