News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A new Road Rage bill comes out in Hawaii

Started by bing101, August 20, 2016, 10:16:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

kphoger

It's now illegal to yell profanities while driving?  Is that not stepping over the free speech line?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadfro

Quote from: bing101 on August 20, 2016, 10:16:11 AM
http://khon2.com/2016/08/19/new-bill-aims-to-curb-road-rage-by-outlawing-aggressive-acts-on-the-road/

Penalties and Jail time are included.

It should be noted that this is a City and County of Honolulu ordinance, and not a statewide law from what I saw.

The linked article indicates this does NOT specify penalties for violations. That is confirmed by the text of the ordinance linked from the story.

Quote from: kphoger on August 20, 2016, 11:03:02 AM
It's now illegal to yell profanities while driving?  Is that not stepping over the free speech line?

The text of the ordinance prohibits a driver/passenger of a vehicle from committing certain actions against a person in another vehicle, one of which is "shouting obscenities or threats".  So you can curse all you want, but you gotta keep it confined to your car and not actually shout it at someone in another car.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

kphoger

Quote from: roadfro on August 20, 2016, 12:11:26 PM
The text of the ordinance prohibits a driver/passenger of a vehicle from committing certain actions against a person in another vehicle, one of which is "shouting obscenities or threats".  So you can curse all you want, but you gotta keep it confined to your car and not actually shout it at someone in another car.

So I'm perfectly free to exercise free speech, as long as no one else hears me?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

AMLNet49

Town near me banned any public swearing, fine of $15. Absurd if you ask me, words are what people interpret them to be.

thenetwork

So if you get pissed off because someone cut you off, profanities are only legal if you pop in a rap or similar R-rated CD and play it loud enough for the other driver to hear as it is not your voice uttering said words...  :bigass:

roadfro

Quote from: kphoger on August 20, 2016, 02:12:23 PM

The legal precedents on "free speech" don't allow everyone to say absolutely anything they want in any venue... Offensive speech, if it rises to the level of "fighting words", is not necessarily protected speech under the First Amendment.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

slorydn1

Quote from: roadfro on August 21, 2016, 11:06:38 AM

The legal precedents on "free speech" don't allow everyone to say absolutely anything they want in any venue... Offensive speech, if it rises to the level of "fighting words", is not necessarily protected speech under the First Amendment.

Yeah, but is me saying you are a dipshit for cutting me off or hogging the left lane fighting words or just me expressing my opinion of your lack of driving talent?
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: slorydn1 on September 09, 2016, 04:39:17 AM
Yeah, but is me saying you are a dipshit for cutting me off or hogging the left lane fighting words or just me expressing my opinion of your lack of driving talent?

The Fighting Words Doctrine is very narrow.  This statute is written in such a way that it could be read to prohibit speech outside Fighting Words.  If and when it is challenged, it will be struck down facially on vagueness grounds or on an "as applied" basis for prohibiting protected speech.

roadfro

Quote from: slorydn1 on September 09, 2016, 04:39:17 AM
Quote from: roadfro on August 21, 2016, 11:06:38 AM

I'm no legal expert, and can only really go off of some case law discussions I had in a graduate level higher education law class I took a few years ago... But I think it would largely depend on the context and manner in which you said it.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: roadfro on September 09, 2016, 03:55:50 PM
I'm no legal expert, and can only really go off of some case law discussions I had in a graduate level higher education law class I took a few years ago... But I think it would largely depend on the context and manner in which you said it.

Except both the overbreadth and vagueness doctrines would apply here, and because the prohibited conduct involves a constitutional right, a court would knock it down based simply on the fact that it could prohibit protected speech, regardless of whether it actually did prohibit protected speech in a specific context.

Or, alternatively, you could have a circumstance where some is convicted under the statute based on protected speech, at which point it could be challenged by that convict under an as-applied challenge.  Because the prohibition affects the exercise of a constitutional right, when the prohibition was applied to convict someone for speech other than fighting words, the prohibition would fail a strict scrutiny test and be struck down.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.