News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Notorious Speed Traps

Started by bassoon1986, December 03, 2013, 10:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Brandon on December 09, 2013, 09:41:38 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 09, 2013, 09:28:06 AM
Quote from: Steve on December 08, 2013, 01:05:24 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 07, 2013, 10:24:23 PM
I-84 on the CT/MA line (The Welcoming Committee) : CT and MA cruisers sit driver to driver, CT facing WB and MA facing EB on the border turnaround.
Never seen that, actually. I do see CT cops about 10 miles from the MA line, for EB drivers.

Was it a speed trap, or was it two cops simply talking to each other, which seems to be more likely in this case.

Typically with two of them in the median, or a parking lot, like that, we call it "mating".  It's where little cop cars come from.  :sombrero:
I never thought of this before, but I hope to always think of this in the future. Too perfect.

froggie

QuoteUS 58 in Emporia, VA
Also I-95 through Emporia, Va.
The last times I've gone through Emporia on I-95, I've not seen police. I do see Sussex County police on the long segment between Stony Creek and Jarratt every time.

The last few times I've gone through Emporia on US 58, I've not seen police.

And on that note, I believe Emporia's reputation comes from 10+ years ago.  I just haven't seen much of a problem there since then.  If anything, I see Greensville County police on US 58 more than I do Emporia cops (Greensville County loves one hill in particular near the airport, for westbound 58 traffic).

roadman65

I have seen Police activity on John Young Parkway in Orlando between Columbia Street and Orange Center Boulevard.  The speed limit is 35 there, but the 85 percentile does 45-50.  It really should be posted for 45 as the state maintained section north of Church Street is 45 and the county section south of I-4 is also 45.  I do not know why the City of Orlando has it at 40 from I-4 to Columbia and 35 from Columbia to Church, but this may be the reason.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

Quote from: roadman65 on December 10, 2013, 10:34:20 AM
I do not know why the City of Orlando has it at 40 from I-4 to Columbia and 35 from Columbia to Church
Presumably to reduce noise past the homes that were there long before JYP was a sperm in one of OBT's johns.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kennyshark

Quote from: Steve on December 09, 2013, 07:49:55 PM
I-84 on the CT/MA line (The Welcoming Committee) : CT and MA cruisers sit driver to driver, CT facing WB and MA facing EB on the border turnaround.
Never seen that, actually. I do see CT cops about 10 miles from the MA line, for EB drivers.

Was it a speed trap, or was it two cops simply talking to each other, which seems to be more likely in this case.

Typically with two of them in the median, or a parking lot, like that, we call it "mating".  It's where little cop cars come from.  :sombrero:
I never thought of this before, but I hope to always think of this in the future. Too perfect.

If you remember Rich Hall's "Sniglets" from the 1980s, this kind of situation is called "Adam 69," a play on Adam 12.

Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned any Interstates in Ohio.  I can't think of any specific areas, but it's like driving in shark-infested waters, with the Ohio State Patrol representing said marine creatures.

PurdueBill

Quote from: kennyshark on December 10, 2013, 12:50:26 PM
Quote from: Steve on December 09, 2013, 07:49:55 PM

If you remember Rich Hall's "Sniglets" from the 1980s, this kind of situation is called "Adam 69," a play on Adam 12.

Also, I'm surprised no one has mentioned any Interstates in Ohio.  I can't think of any specific areas, but it's like driving in shark-infested waters, with the Ohio State Patrol representing said marine creatures.

In Ohio I can think of a couple places (like I-71 near the OH 83 and US 250 exits) that there is often a Trooper, but the state troopers don't seem to be the major problems on the roads I frequent (they have their lights on at night, are relatively visible even in daytime) are the local police who seem to like to play "gotcha" in more traditional traps that are sudden decreases of the limit on an otherwise-similar quality of roadway. 

exit322

Quote from: hbelkins on December 03, 2013, 06:27:09 PM
Does AAA still denote areas of strict enforcement on their marked maps/Triptiks?

One I got two years ago (specifically requested the "old type") had them marked, and with the little insert that they recommend at least thinking about taking I-10 to I-75.

mgk920

Quote from: DaBigE on December 07, 2013, 09:47:03 PM
I was always told that Wis 26 through Rosendale WI was a big speed trap. Maybe I've just had great timing, but I've never seen anyone pulled over nor even a cop parked anywhere along the route any of the many times I've driven it.

ISTR hearing a few years ago that that cop retired.

Mike

sandiaman

On  US  550,  the  little  town of San Ysidro, NM  is  a well known  speed  trap.  The  speed   limit  drops  from  65  to  55  then 35 in a short  distance  with a  busy  town constable lurking  in  the weeds.

Duke87

Quote from: NE2 on December 10, 2013, 12:40:04 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 10, 2013, 10:34:20 AM
I do not know why the City of Orlando has it at 40 from I-4 to Columbia and 35 from Columbia to Church
Presumably to reduce noise past the homes that were there long before JYP was a sperm in one of OBT's johns.

Places that drop the speed limit for no other reason than "to reduce noise" make me want to drive through there with my windows down and some obscene music blaring on maximum volume. While obeying the speed limit.

Because if you're going to be an asshole to the people driving through your neighborhood by enacting inane policies that exist for no greater purpose to prevent your precious slice of paradise from being blemished, that is exactly the treatment you deserve.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

NE2

Quote from: Duke87 on December 18, 2013, 10:12:00 PM
Because if you're going to be an asshole to the people driving through your neighborhood by enacting inane policies that exist for no greater purpose to prevent your precious slice of paradise from being blemished, that is exactly the treatment you deserve.
The neighborhoods JYP cuts through aren't exactly paradise, dickbag.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Blape

Lake Ave. in Pasadena, Calif. between Colorado Blvd. and the Foothill Freeway. 7 lane road signed at 25 MPH.

iPhone

1995hoo

Quote from: Duke87 on December 18, 2013, 10:12:00 PM
Places that drop the speed limit for no other reason than "to reduce noise" make me want to drive through there with my windows down and some obscene music blaring on maximum volume. While obeying the speed limit.

I've seen a number of TV news reports over the years where residents of neighborhoods that agitated for, and got, speed humps were complaining about people annoyed about the speed humps who would drive through in the middle of the night blasting their horns and such. I seem to recall them wanting the police to sit out there to bust horn-honkers. I don't ever recall any reports of the police making any effort to focus on any such neighborhood.

Strikes me as a case of "be careful what you wish for" when you try to make your thru street miserable for drivers.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

signalman

QuoteQuote from: Duke87 on December 18, 2013, 10:12:00 PM

I, for one agree completely with Duke.  While I can appreciate a homeowner's or tenant's frustration with living along a thru street, especially if small children are involved.  It can become annoying having cars cutting through your neighborhood all day, every day.  It could also be unsafe for children who aren't watching for  vehicular traffic before entering the road.  However, these people can't forget that there are others in the same town/region that need to move about freely.  Public roads are, afterall, for the public to travel on. 

The public as a whole doesn't deserve to have to contend with speed humps, reduced speed limits, stop signs, etc; all aimed at traffic calming just because there's a few reckless dicks out on the road.  I try to drive around 25 through residential neighborhoods, always watching out for kids and entering vehicles from driveways.  After being a responsible driver/adult, I get extremely annoyed when a town erects traffic calming measures at local resident's request.  I now have to find another thru route without traffic calming measures (this is where being a roadgeek comes in handy, if I don't know of a way, I have maps) which may involve more turns or a labirynth route.

QuoteI've seen a number of TV news reports over the years where residents of neighborhoods that agitated for, and got, speed humps were complaining about people annoyed about the speed humps who would drive through in the middle of the night blasting their horns and such. I seem to recall them wanting the police to sit out there to bust horn-honkers. I don't ever recall any reports of the police making any effort to focus on any such neighborhood.

Strikes me as a case of "be careful what you wish for" when you try to make your thru street miserable for drivers.
This is a great example of "be careful what you wish for."  I have never personally blasted my horn or music in retaliation towards a neighborhood's traffic calming, but I don't really blame the angered motorists who may do so.  I can understand their frustration, and some are more likely to make their anger seen/heard than others.  I have grown and am more mature and mellow now.  But had traffic calming been more prevalent around here when I grew up, I'd have definitely been blasting my horn and music late at night as a teenager in frustration towards their traffic calming.

formulanone

Having lived near a busy street, the loud music thing isn't really a bother until after sundown. After that, it's a case of being courteous - I still don't do it in densely packed urban or rural areas, no matter what time of day, because it's a distraction.

I think I probably use my horn a mere 3-4 times a year, anything else than "Hey, stupid! Yer gonna kill someone!" is just being obnoxious.

1995hoo

Quote from: signalman on December 19, 2013, 09:24:06 AM
I, for one agree completely with Duke.  While I can appreciate a homeowner's or tenant's frustration with living along a thru street, especially if small children are involved.  It can become annoying having cars cutting through your neighborhood all day, every day.  It could also be unsafe for children who aren't watching for  vehicular traffic before entering the road.  However, these people can't forget that there are others in the same town/region that need to move about freely.  Public roads are, afterall, for the public to travel on. 

The public as a whole doesn't deserve to have to contend with speed humps, reduced speed limits, stop signs, etc; all aimed at traffic calming just because there's a few reckless dicks out on the road.  I try to drive around 25 through residential neighborhoods, always watching out for kids and entering vehicles from driveways.  After being a responsible driver/adult, I get extremely annoyed when a town erects traffic calming measures at local resident's request.  I now have to find another thru route without traffic calming measures (this is where being a roadgeek comes in handy, if I don't know of a way, I have maps) which may involve more turns or a labirynth route.

I agree with you and I've always thought neighborhoods that experience high volumes of cut-through traffic should try to pressure the local authorities to do things to make the arterial roads more attractive so there's no reason to cut through. For example, ask WHY people are cutting through. Perhaps it's because of those three mistimed traffic lights all within a quarter-mile that even your member of the county board of supervisors (who later becomes your congressman) jokes are "synchronized–they're synchronized so you have to stop at every one of them." (This happened at a community association meeting when I was in high school.)

The thing about speed humps is that most of the time they aren't designed to keep people at the speed limit. They're designed to discourage people from driving on a given road. I object to that. While I dislike speed humps in general, if I can traverse them without difficulty by driving at the posted speed limit, I won't grumble too much. But way too many speed humps are designed to make you slow to well below the speed limit, or indeed almost to a complete stop, more in the manner of the speed BUMPS you often see in crowded car parks. Those come across as a middle finger to drivers. Unfortunately, so many people are used to the type that make you slow to a crawl that they automatically assume ALL speed humps are like that, even the ones you can safely traverse at 25 mph.

Then you have the speed humps that don't span the whole road (presumably so cyclists can proceed on a flat surface). Some of those are designed so you have essentially three humps. You get some drivers who will straddle the center line trying to drive through the gaps or trying to have only two wheels go over the hump (I do the opposite–I always prefer to have all four wheels go over if I must go over at all, as it wears the suspension more evenly). Last Wednesday night (Dec. 12) I was on a street in Arlington County that had that kind of speed humps. The "SPEED HUMP" warning signs all had auxiliary plaques admonishing drivers to stay on their own side of the double yellow line!

Quote from: formulanone on December 19, 2013, 09:52:57 AM

I think I probably use my horn a mere 3-4 times a year, anything else than "Hey, stupid! Yer gonna kill someone!" is just being obnoxious.

I find I frequently have to honk to get the person in front of me moving at a green light, although I try to use a quick beep or two rather than a prolonged blast. If the same person doesn't move at the next green light, though, I'm more likely to blast the horn out of frustration because it's clear the person is not paying attention to driving. I suspect the ever-increasing problem of people not moving coincides directly with the ever-increasing prevalence of smartphones. I also suspect it's directly tied to the increasing problem of people leaving WAY TOO MUCH SPACE between vehicles when stopping at red lights (I routinely see at least one full carlength being left open, often more....drives me nuts when I'm trying to get into a turn lane or access a highway on-ramp and I can't do it because of the huge gaps people leave).

signalman

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 19, 2013, 10:04:20 AM
The thing about speed humps is that most of the time they aren't designed to keep people at the speed limit. They're designed to discourage people from driving on a given road. I object to that. While I dislike speed humps in general, if I can traverse them without difficulty by driving at the posted speed limit, I won't grumble too much. But way too many speed humps are designed to make you slow to well below the speed limit, or indeed almost to a complete stop, more in the manner of the speed BUMPS you often see in crowded car parks. Those come across as a middle finger to drivers. Unfortunately, so many people are used to the type that make you slow to a crawl that they automatically assume ALL speed humps are like that, even the ones you can safely traverse at 25 mph.

Then you have the speed humps that don't span the whole road (presumably so cyclists can proceed on a flat surface). Some of those are designed so you have essentially three humps. You get some drivers who will straddle the center line trying to drive through the gaps or trying to have only two wheels go over the hump (I do the opposite–I always prefer to have all four wheels go over if I must go over at all, as it wears the suspension more evenly). Last Wednesday night (Dec. 12) I was on a street in Arlington County that had that kind of speed humps. The "SPEED HUMP" warning signs all had auxiliary plaques admonishing drivers to stay on their own side of the double yellow line!
Most speed humps are nasty and force the driver to slow to well below the posted speed limit, as you noted.  This is what I despise about them most of all.  Random stop signs are a whole different story that I won't bring up in this post.  I will agree that if the speed hump is generally mild and not so steep and can be traversed at at least 20 mph on a road posted at 25, it is fine.  Unfortunately those are quite rare.  I can think of exactly 4; all 4 located on the same loop road (the section with speed humps is in essence a one way loop, but serves as dual one way roads with one way connecting u turns at either end).  Those humps should be used as a model for all speed humps on thru residential roads.  I can easily travel over all the humps at 25 with no damage to my shocks/suspension or undercarriage.  Another set of speed humps near my house (not on my road, thankfully) has shitty pavement on eith side of each hump.  So even if you blast over the speed hump, the potholes will get you.  The township has to know of the problem, but refuses to even patch the holes, much less repave that section of road.

I have never seen the triple humps you allude to.  Around here the humps tend to take up most of the width of the road, and only the first 18 inches or so of pavement on either side is flat.  I see many drivers try to keep their right tires on flat ground and only go over the hump with their left tires.  Like you, if I am forced over speed humps, I will make sure all 4 tires go over said hump.  I do it for even suspension wear too.

1995hoo

Quote from: signalman on December 19, 2013, 12:01:22 PM

I have never seen the triple humps you allude to.  Around here the humps tend to take up most of the width of the road, and only the first 18 inches or so of pavement on either side is flat.  I see many drivers try to keep their right tires on flat ground and only go over the hump with their left tires.  Like you, if I am forced over speed humps, I will make sure all 4 tires go over said hump.  I do it for even suspension wear too.

Rather than post a dashcam nighttime video capture, I'll give you a Street View link to the road on which I was driving last Wednesday. The Street View car went through on a sunny day, so it's easier to see. I've rotated it around to an angle that makes it easiest to see what I mean about how there are essentially three humps. The sign about keeping to your own side of the center line is to the right of the red pickup, though you may have to click further back along the road to see it clearly.

http://goo.gl/maps/ZTmVT

agentsteel53

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 19, 2013, 10:04:20 AMIf the same person doesn't move at the next green light, though, I'm more likely to blast the horn out of frustration because it's clear the person is not paying attention to driving.

by this point, I hopefully will have gone around them. 

the problem with this is, once their attention returns to the road, they invariably will race you, tailgate you, etc.  the "who dares disturb my slumber!" attitude.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 19, 2013, 10:04:20 AM
Last Wednesday night (Dec. 12) I was on a street in Arlington County that had that kind of speed humps. The "SPEED HUMP" warning signs all had auxiliary plaques admonishing drivers to stay on their own side of the double yellow line!

Sounds to me like North 16th Street west of Va. 120 (North Glebe Road) - GSV here (also captured on a nice sunny day).

What's egregious (and IMO egregiously wrong) about the speed humps on North 16th Street is the relatively heavy ambulance traffic on this street - the Virginia Hospital Center is located about two blocks west of the GSV location I posted above.  If there was ever an instance where speed humps/speed bumps should not be allowed, this is such a street. 

At my Silver Spring, Maryland townhouse, we (the HOA) installed speed bumps on our (private and homeowner-funded) streets many years ago for the usual reasons, including speeding Pizza Hut delivery drivers.  But the local volunteer fire company asked us if we would modify them, because they were making life hard for their responders (and for any patients being transported), so when the bumps were worn-out (from scraping the undercarriages of speeding cars), we replaced them with gentler humps, which still have the desired effect.

[EDIT: added after reading further down the thread]

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 19, 2013, 12:12:49 PM
Quote from: signalman on December 19, 2013, 12:01:22 PM

Rather than post a dashcam nighttime video capture, I'll give you a Street View link to the road on which I was driving last Wednesday. The Street View car went through on a sunny day, so it's easier to see. I've rotated it around to an angle that makes it easiest to see what I mean about how there are essentially three humps. The sign about keeping to your own side of the center line is to the right of the red pickup, though you may have to click further back along the road to see it clearly.

http://goo.gl/maps/ZTmVT

Must be something Arlington is trying out all over the county. 

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

The speed humps on North 16th Street no doubt INFURIATED the street's most famous resident. He moved within the past year to McLean (really a bit further west than that), but Alex Ovechkin used to live right around the corner from the hospital (if you view the images on Google Maps, there's a picture of Mike Green's Lamborghini parked in the driveway). Ovechkin is a rather aggressive driver.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 19, 2013, 10:14:46 PM
The speed humps on North 16th Street no doubt INFURIATED the street's most famous resident. He moved within the past year to McLean (really a bit further west than that), but Alex Ovechkin used to live right around the corner from the hospital (if you view the images on Google Maps, there's a picture of Mike Green's Lamborghini parked in the driveway). Ovechkin is a rather aggressive driver.

Sounds to me like Ovie is an ideal candidate to contribute generously to the Commonwealth's Literacy Fund.  Brings this phrase to mind:

QuoteMy Maserati does 185. I lost my license now I don't drive.

Just for guys like him, I wish U.S. states had "day fines" for serious speeding infractions (such as what earns a driver a summons for reckless driving in Virginia).  Day fines originated in Finland shortly after independence (1917), and some EU nations use them for what would be considered misdemeanor infractions in the U.S.  The Wikipedia article I hyperlinked makes reference to the (wealthy) Finnish businessman who was fined  €112,000 for 82 k/h in an area with a posted limit of 60 k/h (here is the full story in English).

Is €112,000 for 22 k/h over the limit excessive?  Maybe - but speed limit compliance on urban and suburban streets in Finland is probably better than it is in the U.S. (and they do post motorways up to 120 k/h), and speed humps are rare in Finland.  I do think the businessman could have the fine reviewed in court (I don't know if he did - seems like a good lawyer might be useful in this instance).

Getting back to the original topic, I understand that the Finnish police frequently do speed enforcement along Highway E18 west of the Russian border (I don't think they have a "you have been warned" sign in Russian after Finnish customs either, just one of these [this one is just inside the border from Norway]).  I don't think the Finnish cops target Russian motorists (they seem to believe in equal opportunity when issuing tickets, and from my (limited) understanding of Finnish law, they have an "equal protection under the law" doctrine like the U.S.). 

So perhaps some of Ovechkin's countrymen get an unpleasant "Welcome to Finland" speeding summons?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: mgk920 on December 18, 2013, 04:38:26 PM
Quote from: DaBigE on December 07, 2013, 09:47:03 PM
I was always told that Wis 26 through Rosendale WI was a big speed trap. Maybe I've just had great timing, but I've never seen anyone pulled over nor even a cop parked anywhere along the route any of the many times I've driven it.

ISTR hearing a few years ago that that cop retired.

Mike

Those fucker$ tagged me in 2011 leaving town.  I knew their reputation and wa$ very careful all the way through the actual town, but the city end$ and it'$ $till 40 or whatever out in the farm field$ and $ome worthle$$ a$$hole decided I $tarted $peeding up a tiny bit too early.  That whole town can eat a dick.  I hope they get bypa$$ed by both $tate highway$ and then leveled by a tornado.

I would rather run out of ga$ and hitchhike to FDL than patronize any bu$ine$$ in that corrupt little $hit town.
If that wa$ one cop, he $hould be in jail.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Brandon

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 19, 2013, 11:12:46 PM
Getting back to the original topic, I understand that the Finnish police frequently do speed enforcement along Highway E18 west of the Russian border (I don't think they have a "you have been warned" sign in Russian after Finnish customs either, just one of these [this one is just inside the border from Norway]).  I don't think the Finnish cops target Russian motorists (they seem to believe in equal opportunity when issuing tickets, and from my (limited) understanding of Finnish law, they have an "equal protection under the law" doctrine like the U.S.). 

So perhaps some of Ovechkin's countrymen get an unpleasant "Welcome to Finland" speeding summons?

The targeting may be in the form of Ohio State Troopers targeting those with Michigan plates.  "Sure it's all 'equal', but we hate your guts, so we'll just make sure we keep more of an eye out for you in particular."
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

golden eagle

Wilmer, AL: Cops are always on the lookout for speeders.

Union County, IL: I have an uncle who drives for Greyhound and he told me that if you get a ticket here, you have to pay your fines in person at a later date. This is done so that the county can collect revenue from people renting hotel rooms and eating in restaturants there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.