News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Internet Browsers

Started by ilvny, May 03, 2015, 01:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilvny

What Internet browser do you use?  I use Google Chrome.  Before that, I used Firefox and Internet Explorer.

Recently, I switched from Firefox to Google Chrome because of Chrome's ability to sync bookmarks and have them available on multiple devices, such as my desktop computer, laptop, smartphone, and tablet.

slorydn1

I used Explorer up through IE5 (yeah that long ago), migrated to Firefox for most everything for years, and now I pretty much only use Chrome, for pretty much the same reason as you (plus it's what we use at work, too).

Hey, anybody remember Netscape?
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

bugo

ilvny

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 03, 2015, 01:25:26 AM
I used Explorer up through IE5 (yeah that long ago), migrated to Firefox for most everything for years, and now I pretty much only use Chrome, for pretty much the same reason as you (plus it's what we use at work, too).

I remember Netscape.  I also remember how slow Internet was on dial-up and that you couldn't use the phone while online.

SignGeek101

Chrome for me. Have been using it for years. The apps are nice. One of the apps I have is 'font changer' and it allows you to change fonts on webpages. Being a signgeek, you all can guess which fonts I have set to webpages  ;-)

I despise IE. I tried uninstalling it, but I couldn't. And now, it sits unused on my computer, somewhere because all shortcuts to it are gone.

Quote from: ilvny on May 03, 2015, 01:47:43 AM

I remember Netscape.  I also remember how slow Internet was on dial-up and that you couldn't use the phone while online.

Despite my age, I remember Netscape (I don't really know how). I seem to remember liking that over IE.

I also remember dial up. I guess it's because I live in Canada and we were still using dial up until 2004 or so. I'd pick up the phone accidentally and my dad (working on his computer) would get into a fit.

slorydn1

Oh yeah, I remember that too. I remember being one of the first of my co-workers who had a 56K modem, everyone else was slogging along with a 14.4 modem.

When the 56k's first came out it actually was pretty quick (for dialup). Then everyone started making their webpages more intricate (read:large bandwidth eaters) and then the internet advertising explosion began, further eating up bandwith per page.

Oh and yeah, heaven forbid one of my kids picked up the phone while I was downloading something important. I shudder to think of all the new words they learned during that process, LOL.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

Truvelo

I used Chrome until a couple of months ago but went back to Internet Exploder as Chrome was becoming slow.
Speed limits limit life

riiga

I use Pale Moon, a variant of Firefox, but with the old interface kept and other various changes. I wouldn't ever use Chrome since it is as close to spyware as you can get.

SteveG1988

Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

FightingIrish

I'm a bit old-fashioned, and prefer Firefox for PC browsing. On my Android phone, I prefer Chrome or Opera Mini.

Thing 342

I currently use Chrome, except for when I need to access my university's enrollment, in which case I use Firefox. I used to be all-in on Firefox, but then stunts like this by Mozilla have turned me off of any of their products.

6a

Old school file sharing:

Also, I generally browse on an iPad so Safari is my usual. My desktop has chrome.

Takumi

I use Chrome for both my phone and laptop.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kkt

Mostly Firefox, Chrome for one application at work.

Quote from: 6a on May 03, 2015, 10:25:03 AM
Old school file sharing:

oscar

I use mainly Chrome, sometimes IE for the bookmarks not imported to Chrome (which choked on my large IE bookmarks file).

Firefox was once my favorite IE alternative, but a botched update made it unusable for me. I don't know if a later update fixed that problem.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

CNGL-Leudimin

I use Firefox in the computer and Chrome in my phone.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

tribar

Mostly Chrome

IE once in a while
Safari on my phone. 

Roadrunner75

I still use IE on the home and work desktops, and get mocked for it at work.  No, I do not also drink TAB, watch VHS tapes or have an AOL account.  Ipad browsing, for the few times I can wrench it away from my little guy, is on Safari of course.  At home I also have an older version of Firefox for its ease in snagging video and audio files.  At work, I also have Chrome mainly for one large file sending site that doesn't work well in IE.  Before IE, I used Netscape, and somewhere I still have my Commodore 64's 300 baud modem for logging on to bulletin board systems.  Good ol' days.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: riiga on May 03, 2015, 07:58:45 AM
I use Pale Moon, a variant of Firefox, but with the old interface kept and other various changes. I wouldn't ever use Chrome since it is as close to spyware as you can get.

This is why I generally don't use Chrome.  Good ol' Firefox for me.

Scott5114

I use Firefox because, as a Linux user, it is easier to keep updated than Chrome.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Pete from Boston

Quote from: slorydn1 on May 03, 2015, 03:02:52 AM

Oh yeah, I remember that too. I remember being one of the first of my co-workers who had a 56K modem, everyone else was slogging along with a 14.4 modem.

When the 56k's first came out it actually was pretty quick (for dialup). Then everyone started making their webpages more intricate (read:large bandwidth eaters) and then the internet advertising explosion began, further eating up bandwith per page.

Oh and yeah, heaven forbid one of my kids picked up the phone while I was downloading something important. I shudder to think of all the new words they learned during that process, LOL.

I won't win this race to antiquity, but I do recall the novelty of dialing up a BBS on the 300 baud modem for the first time.  And the disappointment.

6a

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 03, 2015, 05:45:09 PM
I use Firefox because, as a Linux user, it is easier to keep updated than Chrome.
what would you say the difference is? My Chrome updates via the update manager (I added the repository) so it checks just like the rest of Linux does. Is Firefox way different in that regard?

Stratuscaster

Mainly Chrome on Windows, OS X, iOS, and Android. Chromium on Linux. Firefox as an alternate. IE only when I have to.

MikeTheActuary

Mostly Chrome on the PCs and Mozilla on the phone. I've been playing a bit with Edge/Spartan recently as well. 

If/when some of my preferred Chrome extensions become available for Edge, I might convert.

jakeroot

Quote from: bugo on May 03, 2015, 01:39:00 AM
Mosaic

Problem with Mosaic is the lack of the search bar.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.