News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Internet Browsers

Started by ilvny, May 03, 2015, 01:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Fortunately everything that can be done in Flash can now be done in HTML, so we theoretically shouldn't need it any more. Unfortunately, website owners haven't caught up with the times yet.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

busman_49

Chrome at home and work for most things.  IE at work for a few things.

I used to use Firefox until we got a new computer and I think that download came with a bunch of crap I didn't want, that's what got me hooked on Chrome.  I never liked IE.

Brandon

Chrome at home as Firefox has ceased working on the computer for some reason.  Firefox at work.  I really hate IE.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Billy F 1988

I grew up with IE but since 2013, Chrome's been my browser of choice. Microsoft really took a shit on IE lately and it's not that good, not very secure AT ALL, and it's a piece of decaying shit that should get flushed down the cyberspace toilet.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

DaBigE

IE as my browser of choice at home, with Chrome as my back-up. Chrome on my phone. IE at work, as we have no other choice.

Lately, I've found IE to be faster than Chrome, especially when loading for the first time (following a fresh boot or restart). I also like being able to set my own favicons for favorites/folders in my favorites bar (makes my favorites bar much smaller/more room for other stuff) - don't know why Chrome won't allow that. By the same token, I don't know why it took IE so long to finally integrate spellcheck. :confused:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Dr Frankenstein

I use Arachne.

...just kidding. I use Chrome, but most browsers nowadays seem to be pretty much equivalent, especially from a user's point of view. Even IE has caught up with most of its lag now that version 11 is out.

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 07, 2015, 06:11:14 AM
Fortunately everything that can be done in Flash can now be done in HTML, so we theoretically shouldn't need it any more. Unfortunately, website owners haven't caught up with the times yet.

With questionable performance, when games and animations are concerned. (But better portability.)

hbelkins

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on May 05, 2015, 10:34:15 PMespecially after I got arrested at a BLM action back last Black Friday

Bureau of Land Management?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Otto Yamamoto

Yeah, that's it. Didn't pay my real estate tax.

hbelkins

No, seriously, I have no clue what a "BLM action" is. I don't think we have those down here in the Bluegrass.

Otto Yamamoto

Then you should look it up  :hmmm:

jakeroot

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on July 12, 2016, 02:54:56 AM
Then you should look it up  :hmmm:

I don't think he cares anymore.

Otto Yamamoto

And nothing of value was lost.

XT1585

hotdogPi

To continue actual discussion of the thread, I use Safari.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

bing101

Chrome browser on Chrome OS. I heard stuff that Chrome OS is supposedly more secure than Google's other OS Android. Also I heard stuff that they were supposed to merge at some point.  But then again take precautions at some point somebody is going to find flaws with Chrome OS too.

7/8

I use Chrome on my computers, and Safari on my iPad

US 81

Vivaldi and Safari. Chrome for work & school stuff.  Not a fan of IE or the newer iterations of Firefox.

hbelkins

Quote from: hbelkins on May 27, 2015, 08:54:45 PM
No, seriously, I have no clue what a "BLM action" is. I don't think we have those down here in the Bluegrass.

Oh OK, I'm guessing you meant Black Lives Matter, although "action" is not the term I typically associate with what they do. "Protest, "demonstration," "riot" or "massacre (after Dallas)" but not "action."

SSOWorld

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 04, 2015, 07:03:20 AM
Firefox.

I've been in situations where FF was banned from company computers though (because IT admins can't control the settings of FF like they can IE or Chrome) - in those cases I had a preference of Chrome over IE.
Well I ended up with Chrome since FF decided they weren't going to be nice to anyone anymore.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

noelbotevera

For the desktop (the computer I'm using to type this post), it's running Firefox. For the laptop, it's running Chrome. I believe "I'm" (this is really my dad's computer) running an older version of Firefox, and the laptop is running some newer versions of Chrome. I'm later planing to build my own PC with the help of my dad, and I've decided on Windows. Not sure which one yet.

I strangely remember dial-up and how I used to go on the phone as a child and listen to what my parents were saying. The only reason why I remember is because from 1994 to 2010, we used dial-up. No longer use it now. Also I think we used to use Netscape, but I don't remember it.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: hbelkins on July 12, 2016, 02:25:16 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 27, 2015, 08:54:45 PM

Oh OK, I'm guessing you meant Black Lives Matter, although "action" is not the term I typically associate with what they do. "Protest, "demonstration," "riot" or "massacre (after Dallas)" but not "action."
'Liberals' protest and demonstrate. An action has results, perhaps not immediately, but something is usually gained. Your boy Bratton has been ousted, likely as a result of the latest activity at City Hall.

Nice try attempting to perp the false story of BLM being associated with Baton Rouge and Dallas, but that's been disproven many times.

XT1585

ZLoth

On my personal computers, I tend to use the following in order of preference:

• Chrome
  • Firefox
  • Internet Exploder
When I'm at work, I'm using Firefox for work-related stuff (with some about:config mods), Chrome for personal stuff, and Internet Explorer for monitoring the call queue.

Plugins that I cannot live without:
And, if you are wondering what Firefox tweaks I'm using.....
browser.search.openintab - Set to True so that the search opened up in a new tab instead of the current tab
layout.spellcheckDefault - Set to 2 so that spell-checking is performed on single-line boxes
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.