News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Old cartoons thread

Started by Desert Man, May 16, 2016, 08:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desert Man

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 18, 2016, 09:59:23 PM
Crappy Michael Bay movies not withstanding...

I remember Transformers (there were 2 season intros), I owed the toys: combine like 15 of them to form one real big "Megatron".

Transformers were a global phenomena in the 80s which still goes on today with their recent CGI/Live-action movies. Here's the French-Canadian intro, but the translation may not be the same as the one in English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPTNzcOIS44
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

kphoger

For road trips, we like to put on DVDs of Looney Tunes or Tom and Jerry.

Lately, the kids have really been getting into Animaniacs (I love Pinky and the Brain!).

Other favorites of mine from years past:
Two Stupid Dogs
Wallace and Gromit
Yogi Bear
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

noelbotevera

I used to watch TV a lot and saw a lot of old cartoons, but here are some I remember well:

-Spongebob Squarepants, prior to Season 5
-Looney Tunes, not the crappy remake
-Tom and Jerry, not the crappy remake
-Teen Titans, not the dreaded remake
-TMNT, 1987 and 2003
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

roadman

Quote from: kphoger on May 27, 2016, 10:46:27 PM

Lately, the kids have really been getting into Animaniacs (I love Pinky and the Brain!).

Pinky And the Brain was spun off into its own series.  It's still one of my favorite cartoons.  (The episode where Pinky runs for president is a scream).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Max Rockatansky

Not exactly cartoon per se but this little nugget wouldn't have existed without the 80s cartoon:

hm insulators

Quote from: SSOWorld on May 17, 2016, 02:10:37 PM
Give me Looney Tunes any day.  That's the only real cartoon out there. ;)

Exactly! However many times you see Wile E. Coyote blow himself up with a stick of dynamite, it's still funny! :clap:
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

roadman

Quote from: hm insulators on June 03, 2016, 04:35:03 PM

Exactly! However many times you see Wile E. Coyote blow himself up with a stick of dynamite, it's still funny! :clap:

Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote.  Still one of my favorite cartoons, no matter how many times I watch it  :-D :-D :-D.  One thing that makes it so enduring is that you know Wile E. Coyote is going to injure himself no matter what he does, yet you are never quite sure HOW he will be injured.

Chuck Jones (creator and director of the Road Runner/Coyote series) was truly a genius.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

bandit957

Anyone remember 'The Getalong Gang'? Our local TV station that ran cartoons in afternoons frequently preempted them with 'The Getalong Gang'.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

I also remember our local station interspersing the commercial breaks with editorials about "the evils of communism", as Fidel Castro's face flashed on the screen. This was circa 1983.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

roadman65

I used to like growing up in the 70's with all three networks each and every Saturday Morning show all cartoons.

ABC would have short learning clips during commercials such as the famous "Junction, junction, whats your function?"

NBC would show the Star Trek cartoon, and The Jetsons, while CBS had the Bugs Bunny- Roadrunner Show along with Fat Albert.  ABC used to have Tom and Jerry as well as Hung Kung Phooey along with Great Ape and even The Oddball Couple, a spoof on the TV show and Broadway play The Odd Couple with Frank Nelson and Paul Winchell doing the voice overs for the two main characters based on Felix and Oscar although Felix was Spiffy the Cat characterized by Nelson and Oscar was Fleebag the Dog voiced by Winchell.

I miss those days as all them classic cartoons could never be beat.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

Quote from: roadman65 on June 09, 2016, 09:19:19 PM

ABC would have short learning clips during commercials such as the famous "Junction, junction, whats your function?"

Schoolhouse Rock.  And it was Conjunction Junction. :)

wanderer2575

Absolutely!  But only the ones made during the "golden age."  The early Leon Schlesinger ones are unwatchable to me, and the ones after about 1964 (when cartoon production started being outsourced) just don't sound or look right.

*clears throat*

Overture, curtains, lights,
This is it, the night of nights.
No more rehearsing and nursing a part --
We know every part by heart.
Overture, curtains, lights
This is it, you'll hit the heights.
And oh what heights we'll hit --
On with the show, this is it!

(And is it pathetic that I can't find my car keys in the morning but I know the complete lyrics to "The Rabbit of Seville"?)

roadman65

Quote from: Big John on June 09, 2016, 09:44:23 PM

Schoolhouse Rock.  And it was Conjunction Junction. :)
Oh yes, now I remember.  Damned, its been so long, but you know what I meant.  They were indeed the good ole days.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

We own the complete series of The Magic School Bus on DVD.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Jardine

"Bridge Ahoy" (posted above) is my favorite Popeye cartoon, thanx for posting that.

We are mostly too young to remember now, but many, many ferries operated around the country carrying vehicles across rivers that weren't bridged.  And when the bridges were built, it put the ferries out of business.  Some would move, but they always run the risk of being superseded.  And then motorists who complained about the high cost of the ferries then started complaining about the toll bridges that were built to replace the ferries.

Here's the ferry at Blair Nebraska prior to 1923 when Hiway 30 (Lincoln Highway) was built.  That bridge was a toll bridge into at least the 60s.  Always hated the toll booth as it was situated mid span on the Iowa/Nebraska border, high above the waters of the Missouri River.  (and yes, the deck of that bridge was a steel grid, not a reassuring concrete slab)

roadman

As Big John noted, the shorts were titled Schoolhouse Rock, and the phrase was actually "Conjunction Junction, What's your function?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPoBE-E8VOc

The other one I remember was "I'm just a bill, I'm only a bill.  And I'm sitting here on Capitol Hill!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFroMQlKiag

They also had a similar series of shorts regarding nutrition called "Time for Timer", who was a cowboy.  Perhaps the best known of the Timer shorts was when he encouraged kids to make what he called "wagon wheels", which were cheese slices on round Ritz-like crackers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3jgo5ea_zc

and my apologies for responding before reading earlier replies.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on June 13, 2016, 08:20:33 PM
As Big John noted, the shorts were titled Schoolhouse Rock, and the phrase was actually "Conjunction Junction, What's your function?"
Actually, those Schoolhouse Rock shorts were originally launched independently.

The first ones, dealing with multiplication tables was originally titled Multiplication Rock; IIRC, those originally debuted circa 1973.

A year later, the shorts dealing with grammar (including the fore-mentioned Conjunction-Junction) were originally packaged as Grammar Rock.

With the Bicentennial in mind, the American history-themed ones were part of America Rock that first rolled out circa 1975 (in the fall).

After that, it was decided to consolidate the three (at the time) into one overall Schoolhouse Rock heading.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

SidS1045

Kinda surprised no one has yet mentioned what is possibly the most famous one-off from the WB stable, "One Froggy Evening."

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

roadman

Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 09, 2016, 10:00:59 PM

*clears throat*

And then all the Warner Brother's characters would parade across the stage.  Watching this as a kid, I always pictured some stage manager behind the curtain pushing them along, goading "Go on, go on, you've got to get out there!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-t8PngHgWY

PHLBOS

Quote from: roadman on June 17, 2016, 06:19:18 PM
Quote from: wanderer2575 on June 09, 2016, 10:00:59 PM

*clears throat*

And then all the Warner Brother's characters would parade across the stage. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-t8PngHgWY

The above was the main reason (copyright infringement) why the original intro (background music was too similar) to The Fintstones show (for the first couple of seasons) was changed later on (to the more familiar Meet the Flintstones) and never shown when the show went into syndication (reruns) circa 1966.

Compare the below to the above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoQYeT8om5E
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Desert Man

In the early 1990s, Steven Spielberg teamed up with warner Bros. to produce two animated series: Tiny Toon Adventures (younger versions of Looney Tunes characters, but have their own names and personalities) and the more popular or successful Animaniacs (original characters).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtPxTkcTEgs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWnWwN1z_UM
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

BamaZeus

Quote from: SidS1045 on June 17, 2016, 02:50:26 PM
Kinda surprised no one has yet mentioned what is possibly the most famous one-off from the WB stable, "One Froggy Evening."

I have always wanted to learn more about the great McCloskey fight mentioned in one of his other songs.  It sounded like a real donnybrook.

***I just did some research on the lyrics to that song, and it is a song from 1890.  The lyrics are incredibly racist, but acceptable for that era.  Still, it makes one wonder how in 1955, a reference to that song was still appropriate.

http://froggyeve.tripod.com/mccloskeyfight.html

kphoger

I'm currently watching episode after episode of Yogi Bear with my family.
Male pronouns, please.

roadman

Ironic that the DVDs of Hanna Barbera's Huckleberry Hound and Yogi Bear are being produced by Warner Home Video.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.