News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What do you think of "Managementspeak"?

Started by hm insulators, June 03, 2016, 05:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulthemapguy

All of you in this thread absolutely need to hear this song.

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

8.Lug

I'm so glad I'm a factory worker. If I had to hear any of that crap, well, I'd prolly go work in a factory.
Contrary to popular belief, things are exactly as they seem.

Jardine

Quote from: 8.Lug on June 10, 2016, 01:08:28 AM
I'm so glad I'm a factory worker. If I had to hear any of that crap, well, I'd prolly go work in a factory.

Sounds like a "bargaining unit concern" to me.

:bigass:

SSOWorld

Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 10, 2016, 12:01:21 AM

Try a business, or profession for that matter, that is suffering from Acronym and Abbreviation overload.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

slorydn1

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 12, 2016, 02:59:41 PM

Try a business, or profession for that matter, that is suffering from Acronym and Abbreviation overload.

UGBFK me!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

paulthemapguy

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 12, 2016, 02:59:41 PM

Yeahhhhh...If you could get those TPS reports on my desk by the end of the day, that'd be greeeeeaaat
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

busman_49

I'd really like to see "impactful" die.  While there is some debate on whether or not it's a word, I maintain that it's NOT a word.  But to appease those who swear it's a word, I say it's what my high school English teacher would call a lazy word... "I'm too lazy to come up with an actual word, so I'll make one up."

jeffandnicole

Quote from: busman_49 on June 13, 2016, 10:51:13 AM
I'd really like to see "impactful" die.  While there is some debate on whether or not it's a word, I maintain that it's NOT a word.  But to appease those who swear it's a word, I say it's what my high school English teacher would call a lazy word... "I'm too lazy to come up with an actual word, so I'll make one up."

Isn't that like half the terms used for road and highway stuff??   :bigass:

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

GCrites

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 13, 2016, 11:42:53 AM

If a roadgeek term sounds funny I just ask an engineer. Ones that haven't been around roadgeeking usually find our unique terms funny, but others make some roll their eyes -- like BGS.

slorydn1

Quote from: GCrites80s on June 13, 2016, 08:44:37 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 13, 2016, 11:42:53 AM

If a roadgeek term sounds funny I just ask an engineer. Ones that haven't been around roadgeeking usually find our unique terms funny, but others make some roll their eyes -- like BGS.

Very true. I've been calling them BGS's for so long I have honestly forgotten what they are really called (Slo grabs the dunce cap and puts his face in the corner).
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

hm insulators

Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

hbelkins

Quote from: slorydn1 on June 17, 2016, 11:57:13 AM
Very true. I've been calling them BGS's for so long I have honestly forgotten what they are really called (Slo grabs the dunce cap and puts his face in the corner).

They're called "panel signs" in my office.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on June 18, 2016, 01:52:51 PM
Quote from: slorydn1 on June 17, 2016, 11:57:13 AM

They're called "panel signs" in my office.

[offtopic]
My bridge engineer friend gets a kick out of "BGS" and brings it up specifically with any of his peers when he mentions the existence of amateur roadgeeks.
[/offtopic]
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

I don't have to deal with managementspeak. Instead, I have a manager who has extraordinarily bad writing skills. Most of the time this is simply funny, like when he consistently refers to ideas as "ideals".

Other times, though, it gets to the point where he will send out a department-wide email that outright confuses everyone to the point that it becomes water cooler gossip as to what point he was actually trying to convey. The most famous incident was when he sent out an email reading in its entirety "Do not remove draw flaps at any time". Nobody had any idea what a draw flap was, and an entire shift went by before someone was able to decipher the meaning and sent out a reply-to-all explaining that a "draw flap" was the boss's term for the little liftable brackets that hold the bills in place in a cash register drawer insert. Most recently, he replied to a department-wide email asking "If a customer refuses to provide a phone number, do we cancel the transaction or complete it anyway?" with only the word "Yes".

They have hired an assistant for him, and part of her unofficial duties involve playing oracle and providing the official interpretation for his emails!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Jardine

I've probably mentioned this before, but I had a manager several jobs ago who was begged by the entire department to PLEASE assign priorities to all the pending work in the department as it seemed no matter what we worked on, he always was upset that we hadn't worked on something else.

So, eventually, he did generate a list of priorities of all the jobs we were working on.

Everything was #1 priority except for one project that was priority #6.

It really didn't help the work flow any, but it did help everyone working in his area that he was a total idiot.

And then I had another boss (at another company) who sent all his underlings to a computer training class (for a whole week!) for a computer system he had no budget to acquire.  How these cretins get in management, and then are impossible to get rid of remains a mystery to me.

freebrickproductions

Quote from: Jardine on June 19, 2016, 10:33:13 AM
How these cretins get in management, and then are impossible to get rid of remains a mystery to me.
Scott Adams explained it in the Dilbert Principle: The most incompetent employees are promoted to middle-management positions so they'll do the least damage. (paraphrasing it a bit here, but you get the idea)
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Brandon

"Doing More With Less".  What a crock of shit.  Less equals less, never more.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: freebrickproductions on June 19, 2016, 11:59:06 AM
Quote from: Jardine on June 19, 2016, 10:33:13 AM
How these cretins get in management, and then are impossible to get rid of remains a mystery to me.
Scott Adams explained it in the Dilbert Principle: The most incompetent employees are promoted to middle-management positions so they'll do the least damage. (paraphrasing it a bit here, but you get the idea)

Got one of those, but he's been promoted above his pay grade and is actually causing damage.  Wish our boss would see it instead of praising how good he is.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

english si

Quote from: Brandon on June 19, 2016, 05:38:00 PMGot one of those, but he's been promoted above his pay grade and is actually causing damage.
The Peter Principle holds that people are promoted to the level of their incompetence.

7/8

Someone at work today used "touch base" 6 or 7 times in a 5 minute phone call! That seems to me the most common "managementspeak" at my office.

Max Rockatansky

For some reason I'm hearing "boots on the ground" a lot lately...you'd swear that it was an active duty combat zone.  I think someone got it out of one those stupid motivation self help books.

renegade

I heard all that bullshit when I worked in a factory!
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

tribar

Quote from: renegade on August 04, 2016, 08:26:14 PM

I heard all that bullshit when I worked in a factory!

I actually heard more management speak when I worked in a warehouse than the office I work at now. You can't escape it even in a blue collar job.

texaskdog

"Due diligence"  "rightsize"  and a point for any time anyone uses a stupid acronym

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.