News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Death by GPS - Why do we follow digital maps into dodgy places?

Started by ZLoth, June 12, 2016, 09:15:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From Ars Technica:

Death by GPS
Why do we follow digital maps into dodgy places?

What happened to the Chretiens is so common in some places that it has a name. The park rangers at Death Valley National Park in California call it "death by GPS."  It describes what happens when your GPS fails you, not by being wrong, exactly, but often by being too right. It does such a good job of computing the most direct route from Point A to Point B that it takes you down roads which barely exist, or were used at one time and abandoned, or are not suitable for your car, or which require all kinds of local knowledge that would make you aware that making that turn is bad news.
FULL ARTICLE HERE
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

jwolfer

People don't think. Interesting article about the pathways created in the brain. Physical maps create stronger pathways.

Most of us on here could make any trip without GPS, but I like the traffic information, i like Waze information on speed traps. But I prefer Google maps for an overall view.

Another question: do normal people ever look at maps anymore?

Max Rockatansky

There is a degree of Darwinism at work here.  I always thought this piece piece from 20/20 was pretty telling in regards to the road navigating ability of the average American driver these days:

What is somewhat shocking to someone like me is the nonchalant nature of this expedition, lack of preparation and lack of common sense.  Basically they play this piece up like it was some sort of sympathetic story when I view it as an adult endangering others out of stupidity.

Jardine

I've mentioned this before, my TomTom hates a paved road not too far from here and insists on directing me to turn onto every dirt cow path leading off it.

It's nearby so I know it's wrong, but I can imagine travelers to this area having a bad time on that stretch of hiway.

formulanone

If its wasn't the computer telling them where to go, then they would have picked an obscure route on a paper map just the same. Even before technology, a wiser mind would tell you to stay off unfamiliar non-primary routes at night.

The truth of the matter is, that if you're going to take backroads, you should do your homework first and figure out if those roads are paved, over uneven terrain, or might be unsuitable beforehand. Satellite technology and photography makes this much easier than even two decades ago. While it's easy to jump to conclusions that technology "makes us dumber" it can actually help us make smarter or less-risky decisions, and still make an enjoyable and safe trip. Personally, it's a wonderful tool but not a complete substitute for prior research and one's instincts. An extreme example isn't going to stop me altogether, either.

The data in a GPS (or any software) is only as good as the humans who collected, sorted, and input hundreds-of-thousands of miles of road information; and then the programming of it in the first place, and the lawyers who tell you to watch for road conditions before venturing out with the machine giving the instructions.

noelbotevera

I will keep repeating it, no matter what. I don't care if I sound like a broken record. I will never trust the GPS. I will never trust the GPS. I will never trust the GPS.

Now that that's  out of my head, it also leads to disagreements. My brother says that the GPS is accurate and whatever and that I'm worse than it, blah blah blah. It's annoying, to say the least.

At least I can get paper maps without any hassle. It's also really strange that I'm planning a route the old fashioned way, because either I memorize it or try and get an "aerial" view.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on June 12, 2016, 10:19:52 AM
If its wasn't the computer telling them where to go, then they would have picked an obscure route on a paper map just the same.

The truth of the matter is, that if you're going to take backroads, you should do your homework first and figure out if those roads are paved, over uneven terrain, or might be unsuitable beforehand. Satellite technology makes this much easier than even two decades ago. While it's easy to jump to conclusions that technology "makes us dumber" it can actually help us make smarter or less-risky decisions, and still make an enjoyable and safe trip.

About a month back I was traveling from Carson City down to ironically all places Death Valley.  I don't know if it was GPS units or not but there was at least a dozen cars that jumped off onto ungraded roads in the National Park which I know from experience become a struggle for anything less than high clearance....if not 4wd.  I think it's just in the nature of people to see a sign and assume there is a reliable road or the GPS knows the difference between a graded road, improved road or paved highway. 

jeffandnicole

In the main example cited in that article, it wasn't even GPS doing a lot of the work. They had decided on a route using a map.  And they didn't really decide on a route, but rather simply assumed they would get back to the highway without a problem.

Most of us would be willing to take such detours, but most of us would also look to see what our options are in getting back to the highway. 

There's a host of issues here:

A) Bad drivers (and passenger seat drivers).  They rely on too little information, rather than making decisions up as they go. 

B) Thinking there's a better way.  The other recent thread on Waze shows that sometimes, the result is increased traffic on a side street.  In this case, they are fatally lost. 

C) Making bad decision after bad decision.  So, you've already gone umpteen miles out of your way, and you're not getting where you want to go.  Do you decide to keep pressing on, like these people did, or do you decide to cut your losses and go back?   

I was taking a trip one time from Vegas to the Grand Canyon's North Rim.  Unbeknownst to me, my route would take me thru a National Park with a $25 fee.  When I got there, I decided I didn't want to pay it, and asked how I could go anther way.  The ranger told me just to go back to the first traffic light.  Well, in my travels, I didn't know where that last traffic light was.  I drove 30 minutes...and no traffic light!  At that point, I cut my losses, made another U-turn, and returned to the National Park, paying my $25.  That's the route I had directions for, and decided I'll just deal with it.  The rangers were nice and informed me that by keeping my receipts from National Parks, once I reached $50 (at the time), I would get the Yearly pass anyway (which I may only have used for one other trip).  While I was never in any real danger, it shows that sometimes you just need to make a decision based on what you do know, rather than venturing into the unknown.

D) Electronic devices really are the devil.  Going back to Internet mapping sites, they weren't very accurate when they first came out.  I saw numerous examples, a frequent one being motorists entering Delaware from NJ were told to take Exit 5 for I-95 South.  This is where 295 South turns left and becomes 95 South...along with an Exit at that same location for Rt. 141 North...which was marked Exit 5.  Thru my frequent travels here, I would watch vehicles merge left to exit at Exit 5, only to quickly swerve right again realizing that I-95 South continued on.   This error lasted for years.  I wonder how many people wound up in Newport, Delaware and points North, wondering what happened to I-95.

As mentioned, Waze is another one.  As jwolfer points out, he uses it for speed traps.  Why?  Unless you make it a habit of driving 20 mph over the limit, chances are as long as you're within 10 mph or so on the highway you're fine.  I've seen Waze point out speed traps, because there was a cop car there.  That cop would be tending to an accident, or clear on the other side of the highway, but some worrywart posted there was a speed trap there.  And what does the overly cautious driver do?  Slow down to 5 mph below the speed limit in the left lane, creating other issues. 

GPSs are fine and have their place, but some people have way too much over-reliance on them.  And there truly are people that can't find their mailbox down the end of the driveway without them.  But hey, they knew what the red, 8 sided sign with the letters STOP meant, and could correctly site that 0.08 was the legal limit for alcohol, so they got their license...and had no clue how to get home from the testing center without using those electronic devices that have caused so many accidents.

Max Rockatansky

It's $80 now for that same National Parks Pass you mentioned.  Worth every dime if you travel to a lot of parks annually like I do.  I think the Park Ranger was trying to punk you, there isn't any traffic lights with the boundary of North Rim....I'm fairly certain there isn't one until Fredonia.

formulanone

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 12, 2016, 10:23:54 AM
I will keep repeating it, no matter what. I don't care if I sound like a broken record. I will never trust the GPS. I will never trust the GPS. I will never trust the GPS.

Says the fellow who hasn't legally driven a car yet. They're great for pointing out that a route is filled with too much traffic, accidents, or construction. If you're willing to take a decent alternative, they can save your bacon on a tight schedule, or other annoyances incurred with not/barely moving. While I won't deter you from doing things the old-fashioned way; I do the same for unfamiliar places or places I want to check out, a map (or really anything else) can also be a distraction, due to its size. A handful of slow-day media incidents are not indicative of the whole nor the masses.

And that same GPS helps a bit if you actually get lost...surely, I can't be the only person who found their way into something and wanted a bit of assistance in getting back on track?

jwolfer

GPS is a tool. As others have pointed out, you still have to use some thought.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 12, 2016, 10:48:16 AM
It's $80 now for that same National Parks Pass you mentioned.  Worth every dime if you travel to a lot of parks annually like I do.  I think the Park Ranger was trying to punk you, there isn't any traffic lights with the boundary of North Rim....I'm fairly certain there isn't one until Fredonia.

I'll have to try to recreate the directions, but it was another National Park we approached on our way to the North Rim who ranger told us to go back to the first light if I wanted to avoid paying the fee. It was probably legit directions, but I would've been totally lost.

Remember, this was 2006, not 2015. We didn't have GPSs back then for the most part.

kalvado

I agree - GPS is a tool. It can be used with great result, or get you to the middle of nowhere.. Or you can hit your finger with a hammer to basically same effect.
Paper maps are not perfect as well, with limited details and infrequent updates... What GPS can do - and paper maps are less likely to do - is hide a bigger picture. You're also more likely to find yourself without paper map for a given area - and my phone has offline maps for 50 states, 6 provinces and Mexico... Just in case - and storage is so cheap these days...
Neither GPS nor paper are substitute for common sense. Worst comes to worst - pull over and ask for directions!

noelbotevera

The ironic thing about that story is that if they had just stayed on Idaho 51, it would later become Nevada 225, and go right through Mountain City. Heck, if they were even more patient, they could've driven to Elko and take I-80 east to US 93. How did they forget that interstate? If that doesn't work out, they should've scrapped their plans and just slept in the van.

Should've had second thoughts when the road leads you into dirt.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

kkt

Even if your GPS was perfect, cars do break down sometimes.  Venturing into a severe and unpopulated environment like Death Valley, you should have a couple of days' water with you and start rationing it as soon as you run into difficulties.

I remember the Park Service map and road signs being pretty clear and perfectly adequate for navigation to major points like Scotty's Castle.  Going off the paved roads without consulting local authorities was their second big mistake, followed closely by not leaving their detailed route plan with someone who could inform searchers.

Jardine

and I have slow internet in this rural backwater.

Last time I tried to update my TomTom it indicated it was going to something like 12 or 13 hours, TomTom website will kick you off long before an update that long can finish.

1995hoo

Quote from: kalvado on June 12, 2016, 12:16:10 PM
I agree - GPS is a tool. It can be used with great result, or get you to the middle of nowhere.. Or you can hit your finger with a hammer to basically same effect.
Paper maps are not perfect as well, with limited details and infrequent updates... What GPS can do - and paper maps are less likely to do - is hide a bigger picture. You're also more likely to find yourself without paper map for a given area - and my phone has offline maps for 50 states, 6 provinces and Mexico... Just in case - and storage is so cheap these days...
Neither GPS nor paper are substitute for common sense. Worst comes to worst - pull over and ask for directions!

The importance of hiding the bigger picture is not to be underestimated. When you get stuck in a traffic jam on the Interstate in the middle of nowhere and you're trying to figure out whether that next exit will give you a viable alternate route, the navigation function often won't help because if you exit, it will start bleating at you to make a U-turn, and if you zoom out, you may not be able to see that back road you'd be using. Depending on the design of your device, swiping across the screen lots of times may not be a viable option, especially if you don't have a passenger (this is one reason why I like having a joystick below the one in my primary car). I'm sure all of this is one major reason why some people just follow what the device says.

With that said, obviously they can be very useful for guiding you back to a place if you do turn off the main road in unfamiliar territory, whether it's to take an alternate route or to go visit someone who lives off the beaten path or whatever, and they can be quite helpful for things like finding what gas stations are nearby and the like. I certainly like having one available to me even if I'm not using the navigation function probably 95% of the time I'm driving.

("Not using the navigation function" denoting that since my device is built into the dashboard, I go ahead and hit the "OK" button on the nag screen so the map comes on, partly because doing so also enables the XM track information screen and the voice control for the audio system and climate control.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

QuoteWhat GPS can do - and paper maps are less likely to do - is hide a bigger picture.

On the other hand, hiding the big picture can be a good thing. If this couple coming from Canada to Nevada only had a paper map, they would've been more likely to stay on the routes shown on that map, instead of taking needless risks in the goal of 'finding scenery'.

8.Lug

Quote from: formulanone on June 12, 2016, 10:19:52 AM
If its wasn't the computer telling them where to go, then they would have picked an obscure route on a paper map just the same.

Sums it up perfectly in my opinion.

I won't even get off the main drag to get gas unless I can see the actual sign for the gas station from the road(if you've ever driven through PA, you know what I'm talking about). And I'm someone who is in great physical shape and can fend for myself just fine.

The reality is, it's part of this new era where people refuse to take responsibility for their own actions. It's not just the "millennials" that are guilty of it, it's a plague sweeping across this entire country. Remember when your parents told you to bring a coat even though it was 85* outside "just in case?" Now we blame the weather for dropping to 50* overnight.
Contrary to popular belief, things are exactly as they seem.

kalvado

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 12, 2016, 03:20:44 PM
QuoteWhat GPS can do - and paper maps are less likely to do - is hide a bigger picture.

On the other hand, hiding the big picture can be a good thing. If this couple coming from Canada to Nevada only had a paper map, they would've been more likely to stay on the routes shown on that map, instead of taking needless risks in the goal of 'finding scenery'.
By "big picture" I mean positions of major roads and where they eventually lead you. Quickest glance on paper map (assuming you know where you are on paper map!) will tell that turning right mans going towards major highway, and on the left road splits up into local roads and disappears - something that may not be obvious behind a thick "suggested route" line on the screen.

vdeane

Yeah, if they had just kept going, they would have gotten to Mountain City just fine, and eventually to I-80.  Why the GPS tried to route them on dirt roads instead is a mystery.

Apparently GPS devices have a "use major roads" option.  It seems quite clear to me that this option should be mandated by law to be the default, especially since people appear to assume it is anyways.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that perhaps it should be illegal for any kind of driving directions to route someone on a dirt road under any circumstances unless their origin or destination is on one, at the very least if the user doesn't select a "route on minor roads" option that would require the user to read a dialog informing them of the risk that routing entails.  Perhaps we could even go so far as to give the GPS what type of vehicle you're driving every time you turn it on and for the GPS to have data for all types of vehicles (which would help prevent the trucks crashing into bridges because they're using a car GPS).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jwolfer

Quote from: vdeane on June 12, 2016, 05:22:54 PM
Yeah, if they had just kept going, they would have gotten to Mountain City just fine, and eventually to I-80.  Why the GPS tried to route them on dirt roads instead is a mystery.

Apparently GPS devices have a "use major roads" option.  It seems quite clear to me that this option should be mandated by law to be the default, especially since people appear to assume it is anyways.  In fact, I would go so far as to say that perhaps it should be illegal for any kind of driving directions to route someone on a dirt road under any circumstances unless their origin or destination is on one, at the very least if the user doesn't select a "route on minor roads" option that would require the user to read a dialog informing them of the risk that routing entails.  Perhaps we could even go so far as to give the GPS what type of vehicle you're driving every time you turn it on and for the GPS to have data for all types of vehicles (which would help prevent the trucks crashing into bridges because they're using a car GPS).
My old boss had a full size RV bus. He had to be careful with tree canopies on many residential streets

jeffandnicole

I think most GPSs have 3 options: Avoid tolls (doesn't apply here), shortest route by mileage, and shortest route by time.  I'd bet the default on some GPSs are by mileage, which maybe this person didn't know.

Sounds like they took it out of the box on their journey, without any knowledge of the thing. That's like a runner putting on brand new running shoes at the starting line of a marathon...they are bound to have issues during the race because they haven't broken them in, and have no clue how their feet will react.

Duke87

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 12, 2016, 05:57:29 PM
Sounds like they took it out of the box on their journey, without any knowledge of the thing. That's like a runner putting on brand new running shoes at the starting line of a marathon...they are bound to have issues during the race because they haven't broken them in, and have no clue how their feet will react.

When people get themselves into these sort of situations, it also involves another sort of lack of knowlege: namely, a failure to appreciate the level of wilderness they are dealing with.

This couple decided to take ID 51 south and assumed that surely there must be some way back to US 93, never expecting that the closest road suitable for travel by ordinary vehicles that would accomplish that is I-80, nearly 200 miles ahead. Clearly, they were oblivious as to just how remote the area they were driving through was, and made some decisions even before they started using their GPS which were bad due to their lack of situational awareness.

What's incredible about this, too, is that it's not like this couple was from the eastern seaboard or somewhere else where they may never have experienced anything approaching the levels of remoteness that are typical in the western US. No, they are from British Columbia. They should be used to infrequent road connections being a thing.

So, I see an issue here that is broader than just blindly trusting one's GPS to find them a route. I see an issue here where people are traveling without knowing what sort of places their journey will take them through, and are not prepared to handle the circumstances that might arise from it.

If you are going to drive down dirt roads through the wilderness in Northern Nevada where if your vehicle gets stranded it may be weeks until the next human passes your location, you had really better come prepared with supplies and a plan for what you do if that happens, since these are the sort of situations where lack of preparedness can easily be deadly.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 12, 2016, 11:25:05 AM

I'll have to try to recreate the directions, but it was another National Park we approached on our way to the North Rim who ranger told us to go back to the first light if I wanted to avoid paying the fee. It was probably legit directions, but I would've been totally lost.

Remember, this was 2006, not 2015. We didn't have GPSs back then for the most part.

The short runners would be Zion or Bryce National Parks, maybe Pipe Spring National Monument?  I'm fairly certain that there are some dirt roads that still access Mount Trumbell on the North Rim but those won't be anything but a good high clearance vehicle can handle. I'm fairly certain AZ 67 was it until you get by that Park Gate.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.