News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

[Town name] House of Pizza

Started by hotdogPi, July 01, 2016, 11:12:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Is this a New England thing, or is it across the United States?

(All examples are from Massachusetts unless otherwise specified)

Ipswich House of Pizza: MA 1A/133 near Market St.
Lowell House of Pizza: Intersection of Broadway Street and School Street (unnumbered)
Merrimac House of Pizza: MA 110 near Broad St.
Methuen House of Pizza: MA 110 (not 110/113 overlap), eastern segment
Reading House of Pizza: MA 28 near Franklin St.
Salem House of Pizza (NH): Intersection of NH 28 and NH 97
Wakefield House of Pizza: North Ave. (unnumbered)

Interestingly, I found Giovanni's to be about as common, despite not being a chain.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

freebrickproductions

The only one I'm aware of in my part of Alabama is a place called "Madison House of Pizza" in Madison, AL.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

spooky

I find "Nick's" to be a common name for pizza places in New England.

PHLBOS

Quote from: 1 on July 01, 2016, 11:12:11 AM
You forgot Marblehead House of Pizza on Atlantic Ave. and (a RI entry) Bristol House of Pizza along State St. (near RI 114/Hope St.).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

Must be a New England thing.  We don't tend to do that here in the Midwest.  Most independent pizza places are named for their owner.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

spooky

Quote from: PHLBOS on July 01, 2016, 01:00:34 PM
You forgot Marblehead House of Pizza on Atlantic Ave. and (a RI entry) Bristol House of Pizza along State St. (near RI 114/Hope St.).

also
Braintree House of Pizza on Washington Street in South Braintree Square
Quincy House of Pizza on Washington Street
Weymouth House of Pizza on Broad Street

...and countless more.

froggie

QuoteMust be a New England thing.  We don't tend to do that here in the Midwest.  Most independent pizza places are named for their owner.

We tend to get both up here.  [town name] House of Pizza is common, but so are other names.  We have four pizza places in Lyndonville alone (to say nothing of other towns), and some town general stores in Vermont also do pizza.

1995hoo

The weirdest one I saw was on the Strøget in Copenhagen: Manhattan Deep Pan Pizza House. Who ever heard of deep pan pizza in New York?!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

english si

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 01, 2016, 03:20:35 PMWho ever heard of deep pan pizza in New York?!
Big Al has.

In the UK, if there's some sort of country branding then Deep Pan (which isn't the same as Chicago Pizza, but is merely a thick base) tends to be branded with US things, whereas Thin Crust tends to be branded with Italian things. I'd imagine that it is the same throughout Europe that Deep Pan is seen as American, and thus New York is fair branding (just like how my local Chinese, has 'Beijing' in its name, but most of the menu is Anglofied Cantonese, as are the owners).

jp the roadgeek

Might be House of Pizza in most of New England, but in my town it's Pizza House.  Been there for almost 60 years.  Also have a Giovanni's in town as well (the second one.  The first one, totally unrelated, is a Thai restaurant now).

Also find Pizza Palace to be quite common.  Also have a pair of unrelated Napoli Pizzas in bordering towns, as well as unrelated Paradise Pizzas in neighboring towns (one has a meatball grinder with enough garlic that you'll taste it when you burp days later).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

GCrites

Is this a New England thing, or is it across the United States?

(All examples are from Massachusetts unless otherwise specified)

Ipswich House of Pizza: MA 1A/133 near Market St.
Lowell House of Pizza: Intersection of Broadway Street and School Street (unnumbered)
Merrimac House of Pizza: MA 110 near Broad St.
Methuen House of Pizza: MA 110 (not 110/113 overlap), eastern segment
Reading House of Pizza: MA 28 near Franklin St.
Salem House of Pizza (NH): Intersection of NH 28 and NH 97

Interestingly, I found Giovanni's to be about as common, despite not being a chain.

Giovanni's actually is a chain in the OH, KY and WV tri-state.

wanderer2575

I've never seen House of Pizza in any town. 

What I do see in every town is a place proclaiming that theirs is the "Best Pizza in Town."  And like P.T. Barnum's sucker, I always order one.  And it's always disappointing.

TravelingBethelite

It's just like Budget Inn. They're everywhere, but are all related by only name.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

roadman

Actually, Wakefield House of Pizza is on Tuttle Street, not North Ave.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

triplemultiplex

Must be more of a Northeast thing.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: triplemultiplex on July 30, 2016, 11:31:39 AM

Wasn't that supposed to be more of a play off of Big Boy's?  That one was always more of a Midwest thing.

jakeroot

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 30, 2016, 11:34:06 AM

Wasn't that supposed to be more of a play off of Big Boy's?  That one was always more of a Midwest thing.

Seems to be more of a play off of Bob's Big Boy, very much a southern-California chain:

EDIT: Seems as though this Big Boy symbol is common throughout the US. Though I believe the southern California chain was the first to use the symbol.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on July 30, 2016, 12:17:32 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 30, 2016, 11:34:06 AM

Seems to be more of a play off of Bob's Big Boy, very much a southern-California chain:

EDIT: Seems as though this Big Boy symbol is common throughout the US. Though I believe the southern California chain was the first to use the symbol.

Yeah I'm fairly certain that the Big Boy statue got pretty universal between all the chains by the 1980s.  Basically Michigan is really the only big strong hold for Big Boy these days, I want to say there is a half dozen Bob's Big Boys left in California?

briantroutman

Quote from: jakeroot on July 30, 2016, 12:17:32 PM

"Bob"  refers to Bob Wian, the founder of the first Big Boy restaurant which was in Glendale. But after that, the Big Boy name, character, and eponymous double decker burger were licensed to a number of franchisees across the country, leading to a number of loosely affiliated Big Boys across the nation. When Marriott bought the national Big Boy organization in the late '60s, they used the Bob's Big Boy name as the default for a number of locations not part of one of the regional operating companies (like Frisch's Big Boy, Shoney's Big Boy, or Marc's Big Boy).

There are, I think, four locations in greater LA and a few more around Riverside, but other than the "Beatles sat here"  type of nostalgia at the Burbank location, I think Big Boy is much more closely aligned with the memories of Middle America (culturally and geographically).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.