News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Not my job" - media edition

Started by roadman, July 29, 2016, 11:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

What media comments have you heard that ooze "Not my job" or "I'd do that, but I'm too lazy"?  This past Thursday morning, the reporter on our local newsradio station, when reading off the lottery numbers, noted:

Quote... And there was no winner in Powerball, so I'm not going to read the numbers. 
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

8.Lug

Wow, that's pretty bad. Clearly this idiot doesn't know there are a lot more ways to win other than winning the full pot.
Contrary to popular belief, things are exactly as they seem.

SidS1045

Quote from: roadman on July 29, 2016, 11:35:05 AMWhat media comments have you heard that ooze "Not my job" or "I'd do that, but I'm too lazy"?

How much space is available on this server?
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

US71

Not wanting to stir up a hornets nest, but how many newspapers printed photos of Bill Clinton when Hillary won the nomination.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

cpzilliacus

When there is a spike in criminal activity in a certain area and a press flak tells the news media that patrols will be "stepped up" in that area - never mind that the police agency does not have enough people to "step up" patrols in any of its areas of responsibility, and the news media does not ask the flak where the "stepped up" patrols will come from.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on August 01, 2016, 05:01:05 PM
Not wanting to stir up a hornets nest, but how many newspapers printed photos of Bill Clinton when Hillary won the nomination.

I can't remember the order of the speeches, but Bill got a lot of coverage for his convention speech. Didn't he speak as the headliner the same night as the nomination balloting? The candidates traditionally don't appear in the hall while the voting is taking place, so the papers printed a photo of someone who was actually there. I didn't watch any of it, but I think Michelle spoke Monday, Bill on Tuesday, and then Barack, Kaine and Biden on Wednesday.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman

From the "media people who don't understand Star Trek department".  This morning, the helicopter traffic reporter on WBZ radio remarked "And you can do worp 9 on Route 128 all the way from Cape Ann down to the Turnpike.  So you'll be able to keep your appointment in the neutral zone."

What's worse is that, at the end of the traffic report, the lead anchor thanked the helicopter reporter for using the Star Trek reference.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 01, 2016, 06:04:56 PM
When there is a spike in criminal activity in a certain area and a press flak tells the news media that patrols will be "stepped up" in that area - never mind that the police agency does not have enough people to "step up" patrols in any of its areas of responsibility, and the news media does not ask the flak where the "stepped up" patrols will come from.

Similar to "increased patrols" on New Years Eve, 4th of July, etc, etc.  All someone has to do is see a single cop out there and they'll believe there's increased patrols.  Someone would see that very same single cop on some ordinary day without any news coverage, and not give it a second thought.

Brandon

That's because the media is lazy.  Reporters have knowledge like the Platte River, a mile wide and less than an inch deep.  They can be some of the most clueless twits on the planet, never realizing that there may be better and deeper questions to ask for their small fluff piece.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman

Quote from: Brandon on August 05, 2016, 01:05:17 PM

That's because the media is lazy.  Reporters have knowledge like the Platte River, a mile wide and less than an inch deep.  They can be some of the most clueless twits on the planet, never realizing that there may be better and deeper questions to ask for their small fluff piece.
It's also because the media knows that the majority of Americans want quick and simple answers to complex issues and problems, and won't sit through lengthy news reports about such issues.  And of course, the media is all too willing to oblige, as shorter news reports give them another excuse to add even more advertising to their "broadcasts".

empirestate

In other words, journalism in general is "not my job" as far as the media is concerned.

(That, of course, extends to social media as well, which is why we must constantly remind others that it isn't an appropriate forum to discuss matters of great consequence.)

iPhone

Brian556

I remember several years ago, the local news did a report on new BGS's. They said that clearview was the new reflective sheeting type.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman on August 05, 2016, 01:26:13 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 05, 2016, 01:05:17 PM

It's also because the media knows that the majority of Americans want quick and simple answers to complex issues and problems, and won't sit through lengthy news reports about such issues.  And of course, the media is all too willing to oblige, as shorter news reports give them another excuse to add even more advertising to their "broadcasts".

And more time for breaking weather reports, which includes anything from partly cloudy mild temperature days to Class 3 Kill Storms, reported by their 8 meteorologists using the best most accurate weather system in town.  And they still aren't accurate.  But unless the temperature is about 32 degrees and what was forecasted as rain may fall as snow, the general public is very forgiving if the forecast is wrong.  Even worse, they often defend their favorite weather forecasters, because "they have a tough job and it's not easy predicting the weather" (4 year college degrees, paid handsomely to read generic forecasts, etc).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.