Hershey, Pa., Is the Town That Chocolate Built

Started by cpzilliacus, August 16, 2016, 07:46:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

Wall Street Journal: Hershey, Pa., Is the Town That Chocolate Built - Residents have reaped many benefits over the years, and they fear suitors, such as Mondelez

QuoteHERSHEY, Pa.–This town runs on chocolate.

QuoteFrom the roller coasters at Hershey Park to the butterfly conservatory at Hershey Gardens, Hershey, Pa., was literally built on the generosity of its founder, the iconic chocolatier Milton S. Hershey.

QuoteSeven decades after his death at the age of 88, the maker of Hershey's Kisses and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups still employs 4,500 people in a close-knit community surrounded by farmland. The related entertainment company draws 8,000 more full- and part-time workers into the town of 14,200 people.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

ET21

And has an AHL team the Hershey Bears  :D
Visited there about 10 years ago, was a nice town
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

freebrickproductions

Visited there in 2013, and I agree, it was a nice town.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

txstateends

Every time Hershey's is mentioned in terms of some kind of potential deal, eventually the suitor/interested party gets scared off by the unusual/complex structure of the company and its operations.  I don't see dumbest-dreamed-up-company-name-ever getting any farther that any other firm has.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

roadman65

Believe it or not, the Town of Hershey (although part of Derry Township) not really incorporated was built by Milton Hershey for his factory workers.  The amusement park and the downtown was built for his employees to go on days off and to be able to live without going to the big cities.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

epzik8

Hershey's influence on the chocolate world is such that my nickname for "Reesers Summit", a hamlet off I-83 Exit 38 in Fairview Township, York County, less than 20 miles from the HersheyPark area, is "Reese's Summit". Reese's peanut butter cups are a Hershey's product, although I'm sure almost everyone already knows that.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

roadman65

Quote from: epzik8 on August 18, 2016, 11:46:35 AM
Hershey's influence on the chocolate world is such that my nickname for "Reesers Summit", a hamlet off I-83 Exit 38 in Fairview Township, York County, less than 20 miles from the HersheyPark area, is "Reese's Summit". Reese's peanut butter cups are a Hershey's product, although I'm sure almost everyone already knows that.
The Reeses Plant is also located in Hershey on US 422.  I believe that Hershey bought them out to eliminate the competition.  For years the original name was still used on the wrapper as its still said for many years "Manufactured by HB Reese Chocolate Company a division of Hershey Foods Inc."  So they still operated as a separate entity even though part of the family.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SteveG1988

I pick up for both Hershey and Tootsie Roll. The two companies are differnet in a night and day fashion. Hershey wants you to know what's being made at most of their factories, they put ads all over, their name in lit up letters, etc. Tootsie Roll....you get a multi story building near MIT, with small signs saying "Cambridge Brands, Tootsie Roll Property" or you get the small signs at the Cicero Ave in Chicago Factory that say "Tootsie Roll" Tootsie Roll seems to want to remain known as a smaller company, despite being decently sized.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Rothman

I'm just miffed you can't take factory tours any longer.  My father did that when he was a kid.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.