Should the peak hour traffic signal warrant be removed from the MUTCD?

Started by Revive 755, August 08, 2012, 11:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Refer to (7/98) of http://mutcd.fhwa.dot.gov/pdfs/2009r1r2/part4.pdf

I'm looking for other opinions here, but my main issue is this warrant being used to install traffic signals where there is only one, maybe two periods a day that may be as brief as 15 minutes, but the installed signal remains in normal operation for 24/7/365 when for most hours of the day a one-way stop would probably suffice.  Removal of this warrant would curtail the installation of these nuisance signals.

Mr_Northside

Or, as a compromise, the traffic lights could function as a signal in those hours, then do a flashing yellow/red the rest of the time.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 08, 2012, 11:19:49 PM

I'm looking for other opinions here, but my main issue is this warrant being used to install traffic signals where there is only one, maybe two periods a day that may be as brief as 15 minutes, but the installed signal remains in normal operation for 24/7/365 when for most hours of the day a one-way stop would probably suffice.  Removal of this warrant would curtail the installation of these nuisance signals.

I don't deal with planning for (or installation of) traffic signals, but if there's a big peak in traffic twice a day (say, when an employer lets out or at shift changes if it's more than a 9-5 operation), shouldn't that sometimes justify a "nuisance" signal?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

hbelkins

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 09, 2012, 11:04:40 PM
I don't deal with planning for (or installation of) traffic signals, but if there's a big peak in traffic twice a day (say, when an employer lets out or at shift changes if it's more than a 9-5 operation), shouldn't that sometimes justify a "nuisance" signal?

Part-time signals aren't used as often as they should be, in my opinion, but I think that situation such as you described would be best handled by a traffic control officer directing traffic at the intersection during peak times.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

Quote from: hbelkins on August 10, 2012, 10:20:06 AM

Part-time signals aren't used as often as they should be, in my opinion, but I think that situation such as you described would be best handled by a traffic control officer directing traffic at the intersection during peak times.

I know of an intersection down here that actually could use one.  it is a T junction, and the short leg is an industrial park exit used by large trucks, so the four-way stop allows them the time and space to merge.

however, the trucks tend to use the junction in the morning to leave the industrial park, while the evening commute uses the mainline along the top of the T.  (due to various quirks of geography, there isn't much of a morning commute slog along the T.)

if this were replaced by a signal, it could be given two very discrete phases of operation: in the morning, the park exit is given long stretches of green for trucks to turn left, and in the evening the mainline is set to near-continuous operation with a slow-reaction detecting loop to allow the occasional truck to leave the park.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

J N Winkler

A question:  are there any statistics that give the percentage of signals which are justified solely on the basis of the peak hour warrant (i.e., do not meet any of the other signal warrants)?
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on August 10, 2012, 10:20:06 AM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 09, 2012, 11:04:40 PM

I've seen that done (and as recently as a few months ago, in Arlington  County, Virginia).  It took two police officers to direct traffic (motorized and pedestrian) at this location. 
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

kphoger

It took at least three police officers to direct traffic at the Chick-fil-A here last Wednesday.

ducks for cover...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on August 10, 2012, 05:26:41 PM
It took at least three police officers to direct traffic at the Chick-fil-A here last Wednesday.

ducks for cover...

I got stuck in a traffic jam on Glenstone in Springfield MO that day. I wonder if it was any different in the more bluish states/areas that CFA operates in.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 10, 2012, 06:53:01 PM

ducks for cover...

I got stuck in a traffic jam on Glenstone in Springfield MO that day. I wonder if it was any different in the more bluish states/areas that CFA operates in.

Maryland is (these days) solidly blue when it comes to presidential elections.  In  spite of that, Chick-fil-A is increasingly common. 

Waffle House can also be found in some counties, though not near the Capital Beltway, nor the  Baltimore Beltway. 

kphoger

ducks for cover...

Then again, does there really have to be something special going on to cause a traffic jam on Glenstone?  :-P
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on August 11, 2012, 02:06:26 PM

ducks for cover...

Then again, does there really have to be something special going on to cause a traffic jam on Glenstone?  :-P

That is what I originally attributed it to. "Wow, I remember Glenstone being a pain in the ass, but never quite this bad!"
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alps

First of all, many governments won't use that warrant. Second, the MUTCD specifically notes it's for conditions with specialized peaking. I would support adding Guidance that signals should be maintained either with side street actuation or off-peak flashing mode if this warrant is used, and to avoid using fixed timing.

hm insulators

ducks for cover...

:-D
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Zmapper

I tend to be a bit skeptical about peak only traffic signals, because many people expect a signal to be functioning during daylight hours. I recall reading that Windsor, CA doesn't even turn off the signals at night because accidents increased by about 300% or so.

Chick Fil A: At the one here most people parked their cars and waited in line, alleviating the traffic concern. I recall that when I reached the front of the line a police officer came in and spoke to the manager about making sure that traffic didn't back up onto College (map here). I counted about 50 cars, some who "cheated" by entering from the west by the shoe store and staying on the north side of the parking area, but the main line started in front of the grocery store on the south facing east and went that way.

kphoger

Quote from: Zmapper link=topic=7438.msg168303#msg168303
Chick Fil A: At the one here most people parked their cars and waited in line, alleviating the traffic concern. I recall that when I reached the front of the line a police officer came in and spoke to the manager about making sure that traffic didn't back up onto College (map here). I counted about 50 cars, some who "cheated" by entering from the west by the shoe store and staying on the north side of the parking area, but the main line started in front of the grocery store on the south facing east and went that way.

Parking at the one near my house is not ample as it is.  And the bank next door has a security guard whose full-time job now seems to be telling Chick-fil-A customers not to park in the bank parking spots.  Most of us who parked and stood in line actually parked across the street in the much larger shared lot by the grocery store.

I'm not exactly sure how a restaurant manager is supposed to keep cars from stopping on a thoroughfare.  I mean, what did they think he was supposed to do?  Doesn't that seem more like the job of a police officer than a restaurant manager?

Quote from: Zmapper on August 15, 2012, 12:08:53 AM
I tend to be a bit skeptical about peak only traffic signals, because many people expect a signal to be functioning during daylight hours. I recall reading that Windsor, CA doesn't even turn off the signals at night because accidents increased by about 300% or so.

Interesting.  I guess it makes sense that accidents would rise, but 300% sounds way too high.
Male pronouns, please.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Steve on August 13, 2012, 10:56:40 PM

First of all, many governments won't use that warrant. Second, the MUTCD specifically notes it's for conditions with specialized peaking. I would support adding Guidance that signals should be maintained either with side street actuation or off-peak flashing mode if this warrant is used, and to avoid using fixed timing.

Side street actuation (presumably with a button for bike riders and pedestrians to use) is good, and I wish it was MUCH more common in urban areas.

Off-peak flashing is also O.K., though it may lead to some drivers expecting that it will always be on flash.  So for that reason, actuation on the non-mainline is (IMO) better.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on August 15, 2012, 10:21:46 AM

Interesting.  I guess it makes sense that accidents would rise, but 300% sounds way too high.

that gives off a small-sample-size vibe.  four accidents in a month, as opposed to one?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.