News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Electronic Toll Colection (ETC) Question...

Started by thenetwork, September 25, 2011, 03:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

Here is a question as to how different tollways that collect tolls via photos of license plates -- especially with those cars from out of state:

How hard do ETC highway entities really try to bill cars for proper tolls...

-  ...If you have a license plate frame that covers up some or part of the state name -- can they still match up the proper state by identifying a partial design of the plate???
   ...And if you are an out-of-state driver passing through a state with an ETC facility, can they try to fine you for preventing a clear view of your license plate, even though it 
       may be permissible in their home state?

-  ...If you are driving a recently-purchased vehicle with temporary tags in the proper spot on your car -- can they determine the state of origin by a generic-looking tag that
        is perfectly legal (as long as it's not expired)?

-  ...If you are driving a recently-purchased vehicle with temporary tags that must be placed in a non-standard area of the vehicle (like taped to the inside of the rear window,
       since the tag is just a piece of paper not designed to be out in the elements).  Would that state's ETC authority try to fine them for improper placement of a license tag, 
       even though their state of origin allows the temporary tag to be placed elsewhere on a vehicle?

-  ...If your plate(s) is partially or totally covered up by accumulation of the elements (snow, slush, icicles, mud) -- can these cameras still pick up the plate numbers,
       especially the non-embossed ones?

I am not looking to try to "beat the system" by any means -- The closest ETC highway to me is almost 275 miles away.  But I've always wondered if those people with illegible plates and/or temporary tags can get tracked down and billed as easily as those with 100% visible plates whether the ETC highway is in your home state or not. Or if anybody has been billed extra ("fined") for plates not in their proper spot(s) on the car.

newyorker478

1995hoo

Quote from: newyorker478 on September 25, 2011, 09:20:44 AM
What if you're driving a rental car?

They bill the rental agency and the agency either bills your credit card or eats the cost (perhaps by raising the rental fees to account for such things).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Duke87

Apparently the ETC roads in Texas only recognize Texas plates, out of state drivers get to drive them for free.

Though it was a couple years ago that I read about this. May have been fixed since.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Dr Frankenstein

Rental companies will usually charge the tolls in your rental, plus a processing fee.

Before entering ON-407, there are big signs saying "NON-ONTARIO PLATES WILL BE CHARGED", but I don't know to which extent. I wouldn't believe they have agreements with every single state in America, maybe just Québec, New York, Pennsylvania, etc.

Doug has driven on the A25 bridge with his NY plates and I think he never got billed.

I assume that with temporary tags, you get to drive for free. It's only temporary anyway. And in QC, those tags must be stuck inside the car on the rear windshield anyway.

oscar

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on September 25, 2011, 12:39:26 PM
Doug has driven on the A25 bridge with his NY plates and I think he never got billed.

So did I, in two different Virginia-plated vehicles.  I never got billed for my May trip; still waiting to see if I'll get billed for my trip about three weeks ago.  I also was never billed for an earlier trip over the entire length of ON 407.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

xcellntbuy

I recently rented a car for 10 days to continue going to work while my car was being repaired.  During this period, my Sunpass was left in the car being worked on.  I had to use the Florida's Turnpike once.  The rental agreement spelled out the cost of accessing tolls.  Since my little jaunt on the Tunrpike was going to cost me just $1 in cash, I felt it was a lot cheaper than being billed at least $3 for the same 12-mile trip through the rental company.

DeaconG

Here's another intriguing question...what conditions would an ETC toll-by-plate road able to bill you if it detected a 'foreign' transponder (say running the ICC with a SunPass transponder)?

Just to throw something out there...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

1995hoo

I drove into the ETC lane on the Rickenbacker Causeway to Key Biscayne in June because there was no sign saying SunPass wasn't accepted (until it was too late to get out of the lane). After maybe 30 seconds the arm went up, we went on our way, and I never got a bill. Seems they have their own transponder that's not compatible with either E-ZPass or SunPass.

Regarding DeaconG's question, the ICC would bill you on the toll-by-plate system, which has been revised so you pay 150% of the toll rather than a flat $3 surcharge. (Tolls on that road are variable.) "mtantillo" of this forum says he's heard rumors of a system where they'd somehow be able to bill your SunPass account using toll-by-plate.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

DeaconG

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 25, 2011, 04:43:45 PM
I drove into the ETC lane on the Rickenbacker Causeway to Key Biscayne in June because there was no sign saying SunPass wasn't accepted (until it was too late to get out of the lane). After maybe 30 seconds the arm went up, we went on our way, and I never got a bill. Seems they have their own transponder that's not compatible with either E-ZPass or SunPass.

Regarding DeaconG's question, the ICC would bill you on the toll-by-plate system, which has been revised so you pay 150% of the toll rather than a flat $3 surcharge. (Tolls on that road are variable.) "mtantillo" of this forum says he's heard rumors of a system where they'd somehow be able to bill your SunPass account using toll-by-plate.

So at least there would be partial interoperability, depending on the tolling authority...possibly.

I always thought that the idea of not having it across the myriad number of systems in place was foolish, considering there seems to be no hurry to have any kind of real interoperability across systems.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Zmapper

One thing my dad and I found out with the E-470 toll road in Denver last Christmas: If you change lanes while going under the gantries, you aren't billed. The system is set up to only capture the plates and tags if you are in a lane. The striping is a solid white line under the gantries, meaning that changing lanes is "discouraged." It needs to be two solid lines for it to be "prohibited".

Legal Disclamer: YMMV. Try at your own risk.

Scott5114

Quote from: Zmapper on September 26, 2011, 03:25:11 AM
One thing my dad and I found out with the E-470 toll road in Denver last Christmas: If you change lanes while going under the gantries, you aren't billed. The system is set up to only capture the plates and tags if you are in a lane. The striping is a solid white line under the gantries, meaning that changing lanes is "discouraged." It needs to be two solid lines for it to be "prohibited".

Even if changing lanes isn't prohibited in some way (signs or state laws might make changing lanes there illegal even if the pavement markings don't), if it could be proved that you were doing so specifically to not be tolled you could have course be found guilty of toll evasion. If you're just changing lanes, you could probably introduce enough doubt to not be convicted, but not if you're straddling the lanes or something.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: Zmapper on September 26, 2011, 03:25:11 AM

Parents tried on 407 ETR. Success.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.