US 22/322 mile markers near Harrisburg, PA

Started by treichard, April 12, 2009, 02:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

treichard

Some mile markers near Harrisburg, PA show mileages that don't immediately make sense.

For years, green mile markers have been posted along the US 22/US 322 freeway north of Harrisburg between I-81 and PA 443 or so.  They show a US 22 shield, have mileages around 198-200, and are posted every tenth mile.

More recently, new mile markers have been posted along the same stretch of highway, using US 322 instead of US 22.  They are staggered with the US 22 mile markers, appearing one at a time and not in pairs. Yet the mileages between both sets of mile markers line up, e.g., the 198.8 mile marker for one route is followed by the 198.8 mile marker for the other.  That seems like an unlikely coincidence.

Checking mileages with Google Maps, US 22 travels ~239 miles from the WV border to the PA 39 interchange, where the mile markers are around mile 199 or 200.  That doesn't match.  US 322 travels about 260 miles from the OH border to the PA 39 interchange.  That doesn't match either. 

So the question is:  Where is the mile 0 that corresponds to these distance measurements for US 22 and US 322?
Map your cumulative highway travel
Clinched Highway Mapping
http://cmap.m-plex.com/

Alps

Since the mileposts are on US 22, tracing back to Mile 39 would put me right about at the milepost where the Penn-Lincoln Highway diverges from I-376 at Exit 10B - even though it doesn't yet carry 22 on it.  Based on that, my conjecture would be that when the first part of what's now 376 opened, the whole route of 22 was mileposted in three sections - west of 376, along 376, and east of 376.

oldparoadgeek

Quote from: treichard on April 12, 2009, 02:15:21 AM
Some mile markers near Harrisburg, PA show mileages that don't immediately make sense.

For years, green mile markers have been posted along the US 22/US 322 freeway north of Harrisburg between I-81 and PA 443 or so.  They show a US 22 shield, have mileages around 198-200, and are posted every tenth mile.

More recently, new mile markers have been posted along the same stretch of highway, using US 322 instead of US 22.  They are staggered with the US 22 mile markers, appearing one at a time and not in pairs. Yet the mileages between both sets of mile markers line up, e.g., the 198.8 mile marker for one route is followed by the 198.8 mile marker for the other.  That seems like an unlikely coincidence.

Checking mileages with Google Maps, US 22 travels ~239 miles from the WV border to the PA 39 interchange, where the mile markers are around mile 199 or 200.  That doesn't match. 
Here's a better one; Near Allentown, where US 22 seperates  from I 78, the US 22 mileage is over 300 altho The distance from Harrisburg to that point is only around 70

Alps

US 22 begins in Ohio.  (By the way, I fixed your post - make sure you close a /quote when you open one!)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.