News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ontario Construction Primer

Started by AsphaltPlanet, December 10, 2011, 12:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

I figured that I'd spend a bit of time here to provide an update on some of the construction projects that are ongoing or have been completed since 2009.  I try to do this through my website, however I don't have the time to keep it fully up to date.  I've itemized major construction projects by highway number, so here we go:

QEW:

1.) Six laning through St. Catharines:
From this:

To this:

2.) HOV lanes through Halton Region:
From this:

To this:

Hwy 7:

1.) Construction of a freeway between Carleton Place and Ottawa was completed this year.
It went from a congested two lane highway:

To this:

2.) Hwy 7 was widened to five lanes from Peterborough easterly to Hwy 28 (Formerly 134), work finished in 2010:
From this:

To this:

Hwy 7/8:

1.) Six laning, Fischer Hallman to Courtland, just started this year:

Hwy 8:

1.) Six to eight laning, Fairview to Sportsworld, to be completed in 2012:

Hwy 11:

1.) Completion of the Sundridge / South River By-pass in 2011:

2.) Ongoing widening from Burk's Falls northerly to Sundridge.  To be completed in 2012:

3.) Construction to widen from Emsdale through to Burk's Falls was completed in 2010.

Construction to four lane highway 11 between North Bay and Barrie will be completed in 2012.  That said, Hwy 11 is far from a freeway, and will likely not be a full freeway for at least a decade.

Hwy 11/17 (Thunder Bay):

1.) Hwy twinning with a new interchange.  I don't have any photos, unfortuneately.

Hwy 17:

1.) Twinning and interchanges in Arnprior.  I don't have any photos, if anybody does I'd encourage them to reply to this message and insert them here.  Construction to be finished in 2012.

Hwy 69:

1.) Twinning from Estaire to south of Hwy 637 to be completed in 2012:

2.) Sudbury to Estaire, completed in 2009/10.

Hwy 400:

1.) Nobel By-pass, completed in 2010.

Hwy 401:

1.) Windsor - Essex Parkway, to be completed in 2013:

2.) Windsor - Tilbury six laning, completed in 2011:

3.) Six laning from Woodstock to K/W, completed in 2010:

4.) Twelve laining through Hurontario Street in Mississauga:

5.) Hwy 401 Westbound collectors:

6.) Six laning through Kingston:

Hwy 402:

1.) Truck lanes through Sarnia -- I don't have any construction photos:

Hwy 404:

1.) Extension of Hwy 404 to Ravenshoe Road:

Hwy 406:

1.) Twinning southerly to Port Robinson Road:

Hwy 407 ETR:

1.) Six laning between Hwy 403 and Hwy 401 Mississauga, completed 2011:

2.) Eight laning between Hwy 404 and Markham Road, completed in 2010:

Hwy 417:

1.) Six laning plus HOV lanes through Kanata.  First contract completed early in 2010, second contract underway now:

2.) Eight laning from Nicholas Street to the Split

Hwy 427:

1.) Rehabilitation of Hwy 427 between Hwy 401 and QEW:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

ghYHZ

Thanks......just love those before & after shots!

Dr Frankenstein

I'll try to take shots of the construction in Arnprior in the next few months, weather permitting.

AsphaltPlanet

I snapped a few photos of Hwy 401 a few weekends ago and thought that I'd share.  This is a project to add collector lanes to Hwy 401 through Mississauga.  This project is the first phase of a series of projects that could potentially see Highway 401 twelve laned as far west as Milton.  Anyways here goes:

To start, here are both before and during views looking East from the McLaughlin Road overpass in Mississauga:

2005:

December 2011

This series of views looks west from the Hurontario Overpass:

December 2011

2011 view looking westerly towards the Hurontario Street overpass

December 2011 view looking easterly in the future Eastbound Collector Lanes

Westerly view from the Kennedy Road overpass in 2011

Easterly view from the Kenney Road overpass
Before construction in 2008:

December 2011

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

oscar

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on December 10, 2011, 12:45:26 PM
Hwy 17:

1.) Twinning and interchanges in Arnprior.  I don't have any photos, if anybody does I'd encourage them to reply to this message and insert them here.  Construction to be finished in 2012.

Here's my photos, all taken from the White Lake Rd. overpass (new ON 417 exit 184) on 9/7/2011.  The first one is of the twinning project east of the overpass; the next two facing westbound; and the last one, of the on-ramp to westbound ON 417 from northbound White Lake Rd.  

As the photos show, ON 17 around Arnprior appears to now be ON 417, and a two-lane divided freeway with work still in progress (as of September) to make it four lanes.  All at-grade intersections east of Campbell Dr. west of Arnprior have been closed, or replaced with grade-separated crossings like the White Lake interchange. The eastbound lanes appear to be the original ON 17 roadway, and need more work than the westbound lanes.

my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

AsphaltPlanet

^ Neat photos.  That project is actually further along than I would have figured it to be.

Transportfan

Full high-mast lighting along the extension through Arnprior? Wow!

AsphaltPlanet

Just a quick little update.  This was the Highway 417 structure crossing the Madawaska River taken over the Canada Day long weekend:

Larger here: http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_410-427_images/417_cl_181_west_t_Jun12_lg.jpg

Alps

Looking good for next week's Ottawa meet!

AsphaltPlanet

^ I wouldn't be surprised if the eastbound structure was carrying traffic now.  Probably all that is left to do is top coarse asphalt.

cpzilliacus

What's going on with the extension of the Highway 407 toll road?

Wasn't that supposed to be extended some distance east (and not by the private-sector owners of the concession to maintain the "original" part of 407 and collect its tolls for the next many years)?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

AsphaltPlanet

Construction of the 407 will start next spring.  It will be built and maintained by the same consortium who runs the current highway, but the province will own it, and set the tolling rates.  The first phase of the eastern extension is supposed to open by the fall of 2015.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.