News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

TCH104 Antigonish Bypass – Phase II

Started by ghYHZ, June 16, 2013, 03:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ghYHZ

With the first phase of the TCH104 Antigonish (Nova Scotia) Bypass open (Sept 2012)......work is now continuing on Phase II extending another 7.5KM to Taylors Rd.

Looking west near Taylors Road......clearing has started where the Bypass will begin.

The new structure at Taylors Rd.....

The new spans at Lower South River are also well underway. That's the current TCH104 alignment on the left (& bridge) it will eventually become Trunk 4 again.......its original designation until the late "˜60s.

ghYHZ

Phase I of the Bypass ends just east of Exit 33 at Beech Hill Rd.

In the photos below, four lanes merge to two and temporarily go down the hill to join the existing alignment. The new by-pass will eventually continue east through the cleared area.

The 2.1 KM section of old TCH104 from Beech Hill Road to Exit 34 is now barricaded at each end and will remain like this for the next couple of years..... then be re-established as a through route when Phase II opens. Only access to the closed section is a gate on the Beech Hill end but it certainly has become a walking, biking and winter snowmobile trail!

ghYHZ

Here's a view at Beech Hill from 1978 and today:

AsphaltPlanet

These are fantastic!  I always love when you post photos.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

kkt

ghYHZ

Update: Thanksgiving Monday, October 14, 2013

Work is continuing on Phase II of the Antigonish By-Pass. The Taylors Road overpass is nearly complete with the new alignment graded below the structure.

And work on the twin bridges at Lower South River continues:

ghYHZ

Grading has also begun east of Exit 33 at Beech Hill Road where Phase I of the By-Pass merges back onto the old alignment.

Here's the construction just above Red Maple Dr.

xcellntbuy

Magnificent pictures, as always. :clap:  I particularly like the reddish pavement in old Acadia.

AsphaltPlanet

Great photos as always.  Particularly the bridge construction photos at the South River.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Dougtone

I always enjoy looking through this set of photos.  Between the photo updates and also having made a trip that took me on the TCH 104 through Antigonish in October 2012, my interest has definitely been piqued.

AsphaltPlanet

I have never done it, but every year I always think Nova Scotia would be a great trip to make for fall colours.  The Annapolis Valley is a place I have always wanted to visit, but never have.

1995hoo

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on October 19, 2013, 11:25:04 AM
I have never done it, but every year I always think Nova Scotia would be a great trip to make for fall colours.  The Annapolis Valley is a place I have always wanted to visit, but never have.

Well worth it. I'll be happy to suggest a bed & breakfast in Annapolis Royal that we found to be first-rate. On Cape Breton Island, the Keltic Lodge and the inn at the Glenora Distillery are must-visits.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ghYHZ

The 2.1 KM section of old TCH104 remains barricaded from Beech Hill Road to Exit 34. It will be re-established as a through route again once Phase II of the By-pass opens. But for now......it's a great winter snowmobile trail!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.