News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

IN US 31 Kokomo Bypass Upgrade Report

Started by mukade, June 26, 2011, 04:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 31, 2015, 09:49:23 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on August 31, 2015, 08:54:39 AM
Quote from: mukade on August 28, 2015, 08:38:19 PM
I would say SR 38 to just north of US 24 need an upgrade that removes all traffic lights. The intersections at SR 18 and SR 218 have had fatal accidents. I assume the other two Peru traffic lights have also had their share. The Miami County US 31/Division Rd. intersection (with no traffic light) is also a death trap.

There are way too many driveways off of US 31 between SR 38 and US 24.

As somebody who drives both 65 Louisville-Indy and 31 Indy-SB both several times a year, I can say that I would much prefer the 6-laning of 65 happen before converting any more segments of 31.  I get backed up on 65 due to accidents regularly.  I have never once been backed up on 31 due to an accident.

hopefully there will be money to do both. No one seems to be talking about 6 laning 70

I never drive on 70 but I would imagine it is very similar to 65 in needing to be 6 laned.  I would probably also prioritize that over the rest of 31.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

monty

There are plenty of accidents on US 31.  The majority being the issue of crossing traffic and vehicles running into stopped traffic at stoplights.  Back-ups do happen, but where the highway is not a freeway, cars can be easily routed around an accident. I'm all for six-laning I 65 as well.  Funding is going to be an issue on all of these proposed improvements.   :-/
monty

ysuindy

Went up to South Bend this morning.  Sherrill's was open for breakfast.  Several cars in the lot.

mukade

US 31 in Kokomo lost probably half of its green signs, but they look to be ready to replace them at long last. Two signs were destroyed in a tornado over two years ago so they never have been standing as long as the road has been open. The rest fell over from winds apparently. The new footings appear to be a lot beefier.

As for the danger on US 31, this past week a tanker semi was hit from behind by another semi while stopped at the railroad tracks just north of SR 28. I hope they at least address these particularly dangerous aspects of the highway that has not been upgraded.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: mukade on December 12, 2015, 06:26:52 PM
US 31 in Kokomo lost probably half of its green signs, but they look to be ready to replace them at long last. Two signs were destroyed in a tornado over two years ago so they never have been standing as long as the road has been open. The rest fell over from winds apparently. The new footings appear to be a lot beefier.

As for the danger on US 31, this past week a tanker semi was hit from behind by another semi while stopped at the railroad tracks just north of SR 28. I hope they at least address these particularly dangerous aspects of the highway that has not been upgraded.

Maybe someone can tell us why they can or cannot "Exempt" both tracks on US 31. US 24 in Napoleon OH had the same problem till the exempted Haz mat trucks and busses from stopping for it.

monty

INDOT has advance caution flashers at the NSRR crossing and signs to watch for slow traffic in Tipton County on US 31. This rail line sees 3-5+ trains a day that cross the highway at about 45 mph. There has been a number of accidents involving slowed / stopped trucks there. I think bridging this railroad will be among the next improvements made to the corridor after the IN 28 interchange is complete.
monty

Lyon Wonder

Quote from: monty on December 13, 2015, 05:16:58 PM
INDOT has advance caution flashers at the NSRR crossing and signs to watch for slow traffic in Tipton County on US 31. This rail line sees 3-5+ trains a day that cross the highway at about 45 mph. There has been a number of accidents involving slowed / stopped trucks there. I think bridging this railroad will be among the next improvements made to the corridor after the IN 28 interchange is complete.

I found a diagram of the proposed interchange for US 31 and IN-28. 

It looks like there's several businesses at the intersection that will have to be demolished to make room for the interchange, which also looks like it will include a couple of runabouts for IN-28 too.

http://www.kokomotribune.com/news/indot-unveils-plans-for-revamped-u-s-ind-intersection/article_7da782a2-b2d1-11e4-a6f2-1f584470785e.html?mode=image&photo=0

2trailertrucker

They could still exempt the tracks at IN 28. There is plenty of line of vision from the intersection of 31 and 28 so if a train was approaching, the lights and cross arms would be sufficient. When I have haz mat, I pull to the shoulder for my stop. Even then, I am still looking more behind me then side to side.

silverback1065

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on December 13, 2015, 05:43:47 PM

I found a diagram of the proposed interchange for US 31 and IN-28. 

It looks like there's several businesses at the intersection that will have to be demolished to make room for the interchange, which also looks like it will include a couple of runabouts for IN-28 too.

http://www.kokomotribune.com/news/indot-unveils-plans-for-revamped-u-s-ind-intersection/article_7da782a2-b2d1-11e4-a6f2-1f584470785e.html?mode=image&photo=0

you're right, at that is scheduled to happen soon, the entire interchange will be drive-able by November 2016

silverback1065

how has traffic been on 931 vs 31?  I'm interested in seeing how much traffic 931 has lost to 31 now.

The Ghostbuster

Has anyone driven the old route (SR 931) and determined whether or not it is less congested than before the bypass was constructed?

ysuindy

INDOT press release announced the awarding of the contract for the SR28 interchange

Work starts in April, State Route 28 closes in June for up to 120 days and interchange complete in November.

http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletins/gd/INDOT-12c7075

monty

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on December 16, 2015, 03:18:34 PM
Has anyone driven the old route (SR 931) and determined whether or not it is less congested than before the bypass was constructed?

Oh yes, it is much improved.  The lack of through trucks being the most obvious.  I'd say the projections INDOT made are about right.  About 15,000 vehicles per day on the new route.  South end of Kokomo on 931 is where it is so noticeable.  That area was approaching gridlock at rush hour.  Count was nearly 45,000 vehicles per day between Center Road and Lincoln Road.
monty

JREwing78

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on December 13, 2015, 06:35:47 PM

They could still exempt the tracks at IN 28. There is plenty of line of vision from the intersection of 31 and 28 so if a train was approaching, the lights and cross arms would be sufficient. When I have haz mat, I pull to the shoulder for my stop. Even then, I am still looking more behind me then side to side.

Where they can't exempt the tracks, other places have installed special deceleration/acceleration lanes prior to and after the railroad crossing to accommodate vehicles that have to stop at the railroad crossing. US-141 north of Abrams, WI and US-151 just south of Waupun, WI features these lanes. It's no replacement for an overpass, but that would alleviate the issue in the meantime.

silverback1065

Quote from: JREwing78 on December 27, 2015, 09:29:36 PM

Where they can't exempt the tracks, other places have installed special deceleration/acceleration lanes prior to and after the railroad crossing to accommodate vehicles that have to stop at the railroad crossing. US-141 north of Abrams, WI and US-151 just south of Waupun, WI features these lanes. It's no replacement for an overpass, but that would alleviate the issue in the meantime.

I don't think I've seen exempt tracks anywhere in indiana, does anyone know of any locations around the state?

silverback1065

I have just learned the railroad tracks just north of SR 28 will be bridged relatively soon. 

2trailertrucker

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 28, 2015, 09:53:34 AM

I have just learned the railroad tracks just north of SR 28 will be bridged relatively soon.
Good news! INDOT needs to install red light warning signals about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from Bakers Corner. Traffic is at 50 mph + and the light sits at the bottom of a hill. I see some rear ender accidents in its future.

mukade

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 16, 2015, 07:25:25 AM
how has traffic been on 931 vs 31?  I'm interested in seeing how much traffic 931 has lost to 31 now.

I thought the state estimated 30% of the traffic would end up on the new bypass. It is very hard to judge, but I think it generally exceeds that. At times, the new US 31 has a steady stream of traffic, and sometimes SR 931 seems empty. At other times, it is vice versa, but I bet the new bypass has at least 40% of the total traffic on both roads.

SR 931 never backs up at the traffic lights now. Center Road, Lincoln Road, and Markland were all problematic before.

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 27, 2015, 11:05:48 PM
I don't think I've seen exempt tracks anywhere in indiana, does anyone know of any locations around the state?

The old Kokomo bypass/current SR 931 had 4 rail crossings once. I believe two were marked "exempt" when the tracks were officially abandoned. Except for the one active track up by Menard's, the crossings are now all paved over.

silverback1065

Quote from: 2trailertrucker on December 28, 2015, 07:29:39 PM

Good news! INDOT needs to install red light warning signals about 1/4 to 1/2 mile from Bakers Corner. Traffic is at 50 mph + and the light sits at the bottom of a hill. I see some rear ender accidents in its future.

you mean 236th st?  hopefully that's on their docket next to turn into an interchange in the future.

2trailertrucker

Quote from: silverback1065 on December 29, 2015, 07:31:51 AM
Quote from: 2trailertrucker on December 28, 2015, 07:29:39 PM

you mean 236th st?  hopefully that's on their docket next to turn into an interchange in the future.

Yes it is.

bmeiser

They really should just make the freeway upgrade from 28 up to Kokomo. Already removing 1 stoplight and a RR crossing, might as well remove the other and the drives and intersections.

Nexus 7

monty

Quote from: bmeiser on December 29, 2015, 04:58:34 PM
They really should just make the freeway upgrade from 28 up to Kokomo. Already removing 1 stoplight and a RR crossing, might as well remove the other and the drives and intersections.

Nexus 7

How about from Kokomo, north? Bridge the RR, interchange at Division Road, and add one more overpass in mid-Tipton County (300N), eliminate the driveways and surface cross-overs and presto, you have a freeway.  The challenge is buying out all those houses that have little alternative options for access.  There's quite a few in Tipton County.
monty

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: monty on December 30, 2015, 11:43:20 AM

Nexus 7

How about from Kokomo, north? Bridge the RR, interchange at Division Road, and add one more overpass in mid-Tipton County (300N), eliminate the driveways and surface cross-overs and presto, you have a freeway.  The challenge is buying out all those houses that have little alternative options for access.  There's quite a few in Tipton County.

There are even more houses in Miami/Fulton counties.  Not sure what you do about all of those.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

mukade

Quote from: monty on December 30, 2015, 11:43:20 AM

Nexus 7

Where there are enough houses in a row, I assume you could build an access road behind them, but i bet most would just be purchased and demolished. Just north of US 31 on the south end of SR 931, they did just that rather than saving any of the houses that stood there. Similarly, the SR 28 interchange required buying a lot of properties - all will be torn down.

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 30, 2015, 11:49:15 AM
There are even more houses in Miami/Fulton counties.  Not sure what you do about all of those.

Miami County is clearly the most problematic section now with four traffic lights, a lot of driveways, and at least four other dangerous, non-signalized intersections.

silverback1065

There is a project that will soon create an overpass for the rail road tracks at 100 S and Division road will overpass 31! Sure looks like the kokomo to westfield gap will be filled 1st

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.