News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Suggestions and Questions / Re: NEW features
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 02:56:46 PM
I have it set up (by default, I assume) to give me an alert when I have a mention. When I click alerts at the top, I do see it there. That said, I would have assumed that it would do something similar to "My Messages" and put a count of "unread" alerts that I have next to the word Alerts and put the word in bold or something.
Last post by rickmastfan67 - Today at 02:47:58 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 02:22:27 PM
Quote from: jlam on Today at 02:16:11 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on Today at 01:59:43 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on Today at 01:56:02 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 27, 2024, 05:06:29 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 27, 2024, 04:59:33 PMFor those of you who "at-ed" me (highlighed me by typing the @ sign and my username) -- nothing happened on my end. I didn't get any kind of notification when I logged in. Was I supposed to? Of course the only notifications I have highlighted to send an email to me are when I get a private message on the forum, so...

Will you @ me so I can see if anything happens on my end and I can let you know?

@JayhawkCO here you go

Yeah, nothing here either.

It might be in the "Alerts" section at the top since that's where all of the quotes and stuff are.

Nope.

Check here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showalerts

You also might have to 'manually' turn on alerts for stuff like 'mentions', which should be here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=notification
Last post by rickmastfan67 - Today at 02:43:34 PM
Quote from: X99 on Today at 12:59:11 PMIs there an estimate to how long it will take to restore the old forum theme? A week, a month, maybe more?

No ETA, as all the settings are different from the previous branch of SMF that we were on.  So will take some trial and error to get stuff to work right.
Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by Max Rockatansky - Today at 02:41:18 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on Today at 01:36:45 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on Today at 08:19:41 AMMy dad and I witnessed a shooting leaving a Tigers game in Detroit (where I'm originally from) during the mid-1980s.  I still go back to visit, I don't recall ever having bringing it up in the forum.  I would hazard a guess that Detroit has been by far the more crime prone city compared to San Francisco in living memory. 

When I hear vague stories like about crime in San Francisco it makes me curious as to what people are referring.  Generally it is something about the homeless in conjunction with someone publicly peeing or defecating. Homeless people and someone publicly relieving themselves isn't high on the echelon of scary things I personally find scary or even off putting.

I can't fathom what a homeless person would do to an able bodied person like myself other than an attempt at panhandling.  It isn't exactly simple to find a publicly available restroom in any city in California let alone San Francisco.  Considering how much I have had to relieve myself on remote public roads or even during distance runs I guess that I can sympathize with the problem there. 
Well, this is anecdotal I've been frequenting San Francisco for a decade now and it's been noticeably worse since the pandemic. A lot of retailers have closed and yes, you could attribute that to the pandemic, but they've also attribute it to an increased and retail theft so there's more to it. But some of the things I've witnessed since 2020 just in the last few years I've never seen in the five years leading up to it. In fact, I rarely saw crime at all.

The only civilian agency in California I've not had issues prosecuting misdemeanor shoplifting cases was Riverside County Sheriff.  Most agencies (especially cities) have always been pushy about picking up anything that wasn't a felony.  While that mindset is not something I particularly agree with it is one I've dealt with in the state since 2007. 

Even still, outside of what I do daily I tend to not really think about retail theft when I go places.  Probably doesn't hurt in my case that I despise shopping in general and do what I can to avoid it.  I'm certainly not visiting a store when I go visit a city like San Francisco. 
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 02:22:27 PM
Quote from: jlam on Today at 02:16:11 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 27, 2024, 04:59:33 PMFor those of you who "at-ed" me (highlighed me by typing the @ sign and my username) -- nothing happened on my end. I didn't get any kind of notification when I logged in. Was I supposed to? Of course the only notifications I have highlighted to send an email to me are when I get a private message on the forum, so...

Will you @ me so I can see if anything happens on my end and I can let you know?

@JayhawkCO here you go

It might be in the "Alerts" section at the top since that's where all of the quotes and stuff are.

Nope.
The Ohio Valley of KY meet 2002 should be placed at the Greenbo Lake State Park Lodge in Greenup County.

My Somerset, KY meet is missing from the list. As is my Charleston, WV meet. I can't remember the dates of them, although the Charleston meet happened the same year (IIRC) as the State College meet.
Welcome! / Re: Forum functionality issues
Last post by Amaury - Today at 02:18:49 PM
That's amazing! Thanks, Alex! What was the issue?
Road Enthusiasts Meetings / Re: Where Have We Not Held a R...
Last post by oscar - Today at 02:18:48 PM
No mention of the Alaska meet in 2018. The group photo (at the Arctic Circle) is here. Other details are elsewhere in that thread, though it was basically a Fairbanks-Prudhoe Bay round trip.
Last post by jlam - Today at 02:16:11 PM

@JayhawkCO here you go

Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Illinois notes
Last post by ran4sh - Today at 02:14:39 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on Today at 01:05:50 PM
Quote from: ran4sh on Today at 10:26:02 AMSticker transponders *are* transponders. And they should be forced on all of E-ZPass (eventually), because they work and they're better.
Virginia and North Carolina use E-ZPass Flex transponders to allow HOV-2 or HOV-3 (depending on the area) to travel for free in HO/T lanes in Hampton Roads, Northern Virginia, and Charlotte.

How do you propose stickers are used in this case?

Look up the alternative option in North Carolina for using HOV mode with a sticker. Georgia does the same thing. You use a web site or app to set HOV mode on or off.

https://www.ncquickpass.com/hov/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.