Old or unique bridges north of San Francisco

Started by AsphaltPlanet, November 23, 2014, 11:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AsphaltPlanet

I booked a flight into LA for next month, and I am planning on driving some of the Shoreline Hwy north of San Francisco (among some other things).

I was wondering if anybody had any knowledge of some old, or unique bridges north of San Francisco on the Coast side of the state.  I am also curious if anybody has any good vantage points they'd be willing share for the bay bridges in the San Francisco area.

I am driving up from LA (likely taking or staying near to the 101 corridor) and would be curious of any interesting things that I may not know about in that area as well.

Any advise would be appreciated.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

The 1 corridor is worth taking as opposed to 101, from LA to SF. You get more scenery and a couple of bridges, plus the new tunnels by Devil's Slide.

AsphaltPlanet

^ Thanks, but I have already done Hwy 1 between LA and SF, and have crossed both the Golden Gate, and new bay bridge, as well as some of the other less famous SF area crossings.  I appreciate that input, but I am kind of looking for fruit that may be a little bit higher up on the tree.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

SSOWorld

I'm much less familiar with the route north of the Muir Woods - in fact even around there - since it got foggy.  It is quite the drive there as it is down Big Sur.  looks like a couple old ones including the Albion River Bridge in Mendocino County (after glancing at Wikithevia)  Other than that I'm much familiar with what you've already taken.  101's not as great as 1, I agree.  Until you get near Hollister - where it becomes a nice narrow road (as in zero shoulder)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

andy3175

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on November 23, 2014, 05:14:37 PM
^ Thanks, but I have already done Hwy 1 between LA and SF, and have crossed both the Golden Gate, and new bay bridge, as well as some of the other less famous SF area crossings.  I appreciate that input, but I am kind of looking for fruit that may be a little bit higher up on the tree.

Sorry to get to this late. I have several neat old bridges profiled on my US 101 page that might be of interest to you, especially along CA 271 and CA 254 (Ave of the Giants).

https://www.aaroads.com/california/us-101_ca.html (choose a direction and county to see what I thought was worth photographing)

https://www.aaroads.com/california/ca-254.html

https://www.aaroads.com/california/ca-271.html

Unfortunately I still do not have decent pictures of anything on CA 1 north of the Golden Gate Bridge, but I do recall from my prior visits along that route that there are a few neat bridges along the way, especially the Albion River bridge (tall deck truss bridge) and two in Fort Bragg (the southern one I think has been replaced since I last visited). The scenery along 1 is awesome, so it's certainly a great route to take regardless of the bridges.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.