News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Altamont Pass Road East Old US-50

Started by bing101, October 19, 2014, 09:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

This is a rural highway thats managed by Alameda County, CA. Its a cool Scenic ride.
Produced by Rockersk08.

Used to be Lincoln Highway and old US-50 before I-580 was constructed.

xcellntbuy

From the video, old US 50's pavement is in far better shape than the eight-lane Interstate 580.  Every video I have seen of the Interstate 580 Altamont Pass shows badly worn, cracked and heavily patched concrete. 

Alps

Quote from: xcellntbuy on October 19, 2014, 11:06:35 PM
From the video, old US 50's pavement is in far better shape than the eight-lane Interstate 580.  Every video I have seen of the Interstate 580 Altamont Pass shows badly worn, cracked and heavily patched concrete. 
I just took the 580, and didn't notice a particular issue with pavement. They may have redone it in the last year.

JustDrive

580 through the pass isn't that bad, but keep in mind they are resurfacing for the HOV lanes.  580 in San Joaquin County is far worse, though.

dfwmapper

I haven't noticed 580 through the pass being particularly worse than any other beat to death concrete freeway in California. Hearing each and every joint as you pass over it is par for the course.

myosh_tino

Quote from: JustDrive on October 24, 2014, 12:08:34 AM
580 through the pass isn't that bad, but keep in mind they are resurfacing for the HOV lanes.  580 in San Joaquin County is far worse, though.

Quote from: dfwmapper on October 24, 2014, 01:05:45 AM
I haven't noticed 580 through the pass being particularly worse than any other beat to death concrete freeway in California. Hearing each and every joint as you pass over it is par for the course.

Eastbound I-580's concrete pavement is ok but is in need of resurfacing.  Westbound's asphalt pavement is absolutely horrid from the I-205 merge to N. Flynn Road.  Pavement, probably original to when the freeway was built, is very rough and has ruts where the lane lines are.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.