News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The Best of Road Signs

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhallack

This one is in Rockland Maine (my hometown) on Thomaston St, next to a ballfield. Don't know how old or how long it's been there. It may not have been put by the city or county, but someone with a sign collection~!~! :confused:

D-Dey65

Quote from: 6a on July 23, 2011, 10:43:13 AM
I suppose this counts as a sign

Where is this from? An old traffic signal from the 1920's with flags sticking out of them?

Hot Rod Hootenanny

That's a support post at Ohio State University for part of their old power station (McCracklin)
This was our last stop at C-bus meeting/tour back in May.
That's Neil Ave. where the bus is. Traffic has been restricted there since the 1960s.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

6a

Yeah, what he said.  It's damn near claustrophobic to walk through that, never mind fitting a '29 Studebaker.  I always picture someone bouncing under it on a buggy, steam shooting everywhere  :)

Ian

Goose crossing!

Button copy by the Philadelphia International Airport:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

NE2

For the button copy fans (taken today in Palatka) (click for larger image):
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

burgess87

Quote from: NE2 on July 25, 2011, 12:48:26 AM
Quote from: PennDOTFan on July 24, 2011, 11:22:46 PM
Goose crossing!
Honk if you're a goose?

Quote from: Rick Jeanneret, Buffalo Sabres play-by-play announcerIf you're out and about, give a honk for the Goose!

/ off topic

agentsteel53

the last time I photographed the sign in Palatka (12/26/2006), it had as a retroreflective addition "Charles H. Bronson, Commissioner" instead of the website.  I photographed it going eastbound (NE2's photo is westbound) so maybe one side had one and one the other?
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 25, 2011, 01:11:08 AM
the last time I photographed the sign in Palatka (12/26/2006), it had as a retroreflective addition "Charles H. Bronson, Commissioner" instead of the website.  I photographed it going eastbound (NE2's photo is westbound) so maybe one side had one and one the other?
Nope - the other side has the website too.

D-Dey65

Goose crossing!
Honk if you're a goose?
Heh-heh. They used to have Duck Crossing signs on the North Fork of Long Island that kept getting stolen.

1995hoo

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 25, 2011, 11:11:15 AM
Goose crossing!
Honk if you're a goose?
Heh-heh. They used to have Duck Crossing signs on the North Fork of Long Island that kept getting stolen.

There are turtle crossing signs on the Dulles Greenway in Virginia (see link below, though the image is rather grainy). A private citizen paid $3,000 to have these posted, according to Washington Post articles at the time.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=38.994906,-77.473494&spn=0.006362,0.016512&z=17&layer=c&cbll=38.994988,-77.473642&panoid=fcVZfHcJ6V2ektV_Y1n2Lw&cbp=12,325.64,,1,1.23

The sign depicted in the image says "Give them a brake" in a comic-like font and depicts a wheel about to squash a turtle.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ian

Youtube l Flickr

vtk

Quote from: 6a on July 23, 2011, 10:43:13 AM
I suppose this counts as a sign

For some reason, my memory of this "sign" told me it was octagonal.  But then, it has been a few years...  I'd also forgotten that section of Neil Ave was asphalt-paved, imagining it more like the number garden just over the photographer's left shoulder, so that school bus surprised me a bit.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

formulanone

Quote from: D-Dey65 on July 25, 2011, 11:11:15 AM

Duck crossing sign in Hoffman Estates, IL:

I think it's the only sign that made me think..."awww, cute". There's a road that almost splits up two large ponds in a residential neighborhood. Didn't see any ducks cross the road during the winter, though.

1995hoo

I haven't been to New Zealand, but I know of this sign. I'd love to have the opportunity to take a picture of it in person someday. Apparently there is a penguin colony on the South Island, although they're not the same type of Antarctic penguins most of us think of when we hear that word.

Quillz

Quote from: hobsini2 on July 22, 2011, 01:22:34 PM
Quote from: US71 on July 22, 2011, 08:57:55 AM

Alternate US 69 - Oklahoma Style  :D
I really like that idea for bannered routes. Maybe add a little color and you'ld have a something.
I agree. That cutout shield would look great with a inset black border, like you normally see with generic white and black signs.

apeman33

Quote from: Quillz on July 26, 2011, 09:54:51 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on July 22, 2011, 01:22:34 PM
Quote from: US71 on July 22, 2011, 08:57:55 AM

Alternate US 69 - Oklahoma Style  :D
I really like that idea for bannered routes. Maybe add a little color and you'ld have a something.
I agree. That cutout shield would look great with a inset black border, like you normally see with generic white and black signs.

There's also a Business U.S. 60 shield of the same design near Seneca, Mo. (Bus. 60 crosses the state line, so in Missouri, regular-style signage resumes).

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

1995hoo

I rather like that approach. Among other reasons, I like the idea of eliminating an auxiliary sign (such as the "business" sign or an exit tab) if the information can be clearly conveyed by including it on a single sign (such as the states that include the exit tab as part of the main sign). The reason is that keeping as much as possible on one sign means that if the smaller auxiliary sign is lost, say due to high winds or vandals or whatever, as much of the information as possible remains behind. I suppose the opposite is true as well, that if you put everything on the one sign little is left behind if the main sign is damaged, but to me having just an exit tab left up there wouldn't be all that helpful anyway if the main sign were gone.

I believe that sort of thing was one of the reasons the MUTCD standard for metric speed limit signs was changed to eliminate the supplemental "METRIC" and "km/h" signs that they used to specify be put above and below the standard "speed limit" sign. Made sense to me, although I also can't help but think that as a practical if you encounter a sign on a US Interstate that says "Speed Limit 130" (because the two supplemental plaques fell off) and you think it means miles per hour, your fitness to have a driver's license is questionable!

roadfro

^ The metric speed limit sign had the number within a black circle, so there really was no mistaking it. The "km/h" portion of the metric speed limit sign was part of the overall sign located right under the circle, but I believe the "metric" plaque above was optional. In any event, the 2009 MUTCD doesn't even make mention or illustration of metric speed limit signs.

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 27, 2011, 04:42:55 PM
[img width=400http://www.denexa.com/roadgeek/road-photos/main.php?cmd=image&var1=ok%2Fottawa%2Fimg_0673.jpg&var2=1000_85[/img]

I kinda like this approach. The only thing is that the "banner" inside the shield is incredibly small. Instead of making that small band with two lines, they could remove the top line and make the "banner" text bigger--similar to the old-style US route shield, replacing the state name with the banner text. This could even work well on non-cutout shields.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Ian

A few from today that I liked:

Youtube l Flickr

Quillz

Kind of ironic seeing Series B inside a wide 3di shield, since the shield was designed so such thin fonts didn't have to be used!

kharvey10

I-80 at I-415 / Parley's Interchange, 1966 by CountyLemonade, on Flickr

This guy on Flickr got tons of old Utah highway signage photos back from 1960s and 1970s - the entire photostream is a must read

Scott5114

Quote from: kharvey10 on July 28, 2011, 09:49:24 PM
This guy on Flickr got tons of old Utah highway signage photos back from 1960s and 1970s - the entire photostream is a must read

This guy on Flickr got his own thread here. https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=4045.0
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.