News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Illiana Corridor progress

Started by Rick Powell, February 11, 2012, 01:47:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mukade

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 20, 2015, 02:41:57 PM
I spotted this interesting rant written in June 2013 about the Illiana expressway.
http://tollroadsnews.com/news/illiana-expressway-south-of-chicago-gets-lots-of-political-accolades-but-viability-in-doubt

I think the assessment in that article is correct. Why would a large amount of I-55, I-57, or I-65 traffic divert to this toll road that is so far out? If the area was booming, I might see it, but I think the area is actually losing population. I am sure the highway would look good on a map, but it seems like a very bad investment - like the Mid-America Airport near St. Louis.

There are many very good points in the article, but I especially agree with this quote:
Yet so far there is no sign or talk of any traffic and revenue study to assess the strength of demand by motorists and truckers for this road or even the most cursory analysis of the financial viability of the project.

If someone has that, I would like to see it.

Quote from: Brandon on July 15, 2015, 05:56:20 PM
Quote from: Quimby on July 15, 2015, 05:21:31 PM
In my opinion, they aligned it too far south to the point where enough people saw it as a road in the middle of nowhere that they'd never use.  They should have selected a route close enough to 80/94 for it to be a practical bypass for the traffic mess on the Borman Expy.  Expecting people to drive 20 miles south on I-55 and then 20 miles north again on I-65 to avoid the NW Indiana bottleneck is a bit much.

However, it was only going to be 3-5 miles south of the major intermodal centers at the west end of the tollway, near I-55, so it really wasn't a bit much.

No one is debating the intermodal centers would probably have liked it, but why should Indiana risk its tax dollars for something that might help these particular businesses in another state? On the west end, it might be close to these possible users of the road, but it would cross well south of any built up area of Northwest Indiana. The farmers in the proposed path were also pretty outspoken opponents.

adt1982

Here's a bizarre turn.

Rauner's administration is now seeking tax breaks on materials to build the Illiana.

http://www.theherald-news.com/2015/07/28/rauner-seeks-tax-breaks-for-illiana-expressway-project/aej6jwa/

I-39

Quote from: adt1982 on July 28, 2015, 05:45:00 PM
Here's a bizarre turn.

Rauner's administration is now seeking tax breaks on materials to build the Illiana.

http://www.theherald-news.com/2015/07/28/rauner-seeks-tax-breaks-for-illiana-expressway-project/aej6jwa/

Bizarre indeed. One minute he's canceling it and the next he's moving forward. He ought to be focusing on the IL-53 extension before this. Protect the corridor, but don't build it right now because there are more pressing needs.

ET21

He can barely keep the budget talks going, sounds like the Illiana is becoming his procrastination project
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Henry

I hate people who can't make up their minds! Either build the road, or don't build it at all.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Henry on July 29, 2015, 12:12:09 PM
I hate people who can't make up their minds! Either build the road, or don't build it at all.

:sombrero: At this point, I think that Rauner is just messing with Brandon.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

noelbotevera

I'm pretty sure IDOT and INDOT are slamming their heads against their desks right now because of how hard Rauner is trolling them.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

US 41

I hope this never gets built. There isn't really a traffic problem in the corn fields south of Chicago. Upgrade 80 when needed. The only thing the Illiana will succeed in is making Chicago bigger.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

silverback1065

Quote from: US 41 on August 01, 2015, 06:21:49 PM
I hope this never gets built. There isn't really a traffic problem in the corn fields south of Chicago. Upgrade 80 when needed. The only thing the Illiana will succeed in is making Chicago bigger.
As my pavement design professor would always say "if you build it, they will come"

Brandon

Bunk.  The traffic is already using the two-lane county roads through there, and development comes even without a freeway.  It is a much needed truck transportation corridor.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US 41

Quote from: Brandon on August 01, 2015, 08:01:34 PM

Bunk.  The traffic is already using the two-lane county roads through there, and development comes even without a freeway.  It is a much needed truck transportation corridor.

This road (roughly parallels Illiana Corridor) has a horrible traffic issue. Just look at all the cars.

https://goo.gl/maps/OzLJU
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

Revive 755

The only thing the Illiana will succeed in is making Chicago bigger.

And Chicago is not going to eventually grow/sprawl out that way anyway?  I think this same argument was used against the Fox Valley Corridor (which growth has since gone west of without any freeway or tollway being built).

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: Revive 755 on August 01, 2015, 10:19:01 PM
The only thing the Illiana will succeed in is making Chicago bigger.

And Chicago is not going to eventually grow/sprawl out that way anyway?  I think this same argument was used against the Fox Valley Corridor (which growth has since gone west of without any freeway or tollway being built).

I would think that the road should be built to prepare to future devolopment. The only way you can prevent more devolopment is put an urban growth boundary similar to what Portland has. While that might help traffic problems it would mean the population would be harder to grow and could turn into a barrier for the city. Perhaps put an boundary that still makes room for future devolopment?
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

Stratuscaster

I would think the dozens of towns and villages in between the corridor and the city limits would effectively stop any southern expansion by the City of Chicago.

(Or, did you mean "the Chicago Metropolitan Area"? Because that will grow on it's own, regardless of the Illiana.)

I-39

Don't build it now, but protect the corridor. Rebuild and Widen I-80 first and see if that helps.

I'm honestly not entirely sold on it being necessary.

johndoe780

Quote from: I-39 on August 01, 2015, 11:37:41 PM
Don't build it now, but protect the corridor. Rebuild and Widen I-80 first and see if that helps.

It would help, if at the bare minimum, I-80 was widened to 6 lanes from I-355 to I-55.

I-39

Quote from: johndoe780 on August 02, 2015, 03:56:00 PM

It would help, if at the bare minimum, I-80 was widened to 6 lanes from I-355 to I-55.

True, but I'd go eight lane from I-55 to I-294 and six lanes from I-55 to Morris

CtrlAltDel

This is my assessment too.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Brandon

Quote from: johndoe780 on August 02, 2015, 03:56:00 PM

That's what's needed just for the traffic we have currently.  It'll never be enough for the future there.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

JREwing78

Seriously. It needs to be rebuilt to accomodate at least 5 lanes in each direction.

mgk920

Quote from: Stratuscaster on August 01, 2015, 10:57:13 PM
I would think the dozens of towns and villages in between the corridor and the city limits would effectively stop any southern expansion by the City of Chicago.

(Or, did you mean "the Chicago Metropolitan Area"? Because that will grow on it's own, regardless of the Illiana.)

Maybe some of them are at least privately entertaining the idea of seeking to join the city, in the same manner as the City of East Cleveland, OH is now actively seeking to join the City of Cleveland, OH.

:-o

Mike

dzlsabe

Thank Rauner this boondoggle has been axed. Finish I-90. The sixteen mile "Hypotenuse" between the Skyway in Englewood and the Strangler in Hillside. Watch as Schaumburg and Gary magically become TEN miles closer.

Heres the MAP  http://imgur.com/u9L0fFx Hypotenuse (in Fictional) the cure for Illiana fever
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Brandon

Quote from: dzlsabe on October 24, 2015, 02:20:41 PM
Thank Rauner this boondoggle has been axed. Finish I-90. The sixteen mile "Hypotenuse" between the Skyway in Englewood and the Strangler in Hillside. Watch as Schaumburg and Gary magically become TEN miles closer.
Go fuck yourself.  Boondoggle, my ass.  Why should we spend any more money on that giant sucking asshole we call Chicago.  It should be spent on growing Will County, not dying Cook (or is that Crook) County.

dzlsabe

Wow, somebody still has bad case of Illiana fever. Take some hypotenuse and swear some more. Even pound your head against a wall. :banghead: Heres the MAP  http://imgur.com/u9L0fFx

Some of Cook County is dying and has been for FIFTY? years...this would be a plan to turn that around as well as solve at least five major X-way Fups. :pan: Talk about giant, sucking assholes...Will County should be banished from District 1. Nobody but southern Will County and Indiana ever thought Illiana was even a fair idea.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.