News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Worst interstate ever

Started by hotdogPi, August 13, 2013, 06:20:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which interstate is the worst interstate ever?

Interstate 99
18 (14.4%)
Interstate 97
13 (10.4%)
Interstate 238
20 (16%)
Interstate 180
42 (33.6%)
Other
32 (25.6%)

Total Members Voted: 125

Brandon

Quote from: I94RoadRunner on August 20, 2014, 09:04:47 AM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on August 20, 2014, 09:00:02 AM
Of the choices, I-180 has got to be the worst, it literally isn't even an interstate. I-189 in Burlington, Vermont isn't much different. That is basically an exit ramp.  :-|

At least I-189 has a system interchange with its parent unlike I-180

Then there's the infamous I-587 in New York.  It's so bad, its parent doesn't even acknowledge it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

OCGuy81

QuoteOf the choices, I-180 has got to be the worst, it literally isn't even an interstate. I-189 in Burlington, Vermont isn't much different. That is basically an exit ramp.  :-|

Can one argue that I-375 (or is it 175, I tend to get em mixed up) in Tampa is basically a long exit ramp as well?

vdeane

Quote from: Brandon on August 20, 2014, 09:20:35 AM
Of the choices, I-180 has got to be the worst, it literally isn't even an interstate. I-189 in Burlington, Vermont isn't much different. That is basically an exit ramp.  :-|

Then there's the infamous I-587 in New York.  It's so bad, its parent doesn't even acknowledge it.
And I-78 disowned its children.  Even NYSDOT doesn't acknowledge I-878!

At least I-189 has an overpass and a stub.  While it has no interchanges except termini, at least it doesn't have at-grades.  Burlington wants to revive the stub as a two lane parkway to downtown.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

cl94

Quote from: vdeane on August 20, 2014, 12:44:40 PM
Quote from: Brandon on August 20, 2014, 09:20:35 AM

And I-78 disowned its children.  Even NYSDOT doesn't acknowledge I-878!

At least I-189 has an overpass and a stub.  While it has no interchanges except termini, at least it doesn't have at-grades.  Burlington wants to revive the stub as a two lane parkway to downtown.

If we're talking about the x78s, I-278 is substandard for most (if not all) of its length, bans trucks in sections, has low clearances, AND has a very low speed limit in downtown Brooklyn. If we're only considering full "freeways", this might be the worst for that reason.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

adventurernumber1

Quote from: OCGuy81 on August 20, 2014, 12:12:23 PM
QuoteOf the choices, I-180 has got to be the worst, it literally isn't even an in

Can one argue that I-375 (or is it 175, I tend to get em mixed up) in Tampa is basically a long exit ramp as well?

Yep. Both I-175 and I-375 are basically long exit ramps in St. Petersburg, FL.

Yeah, at least I-189 has that.  :sombrero:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

OCGuy81

QuoteYep. Both I-175 and I-375 are basically long exit ramps in St. Petersburg, FL.

This got my thought train a-rollin' about Florida.  They also have I-395, which I believe is also a glorified exit ramp.  Why does that even exist?  Couldn't they have just routed US 41 along it the entire way?

formulanone

395 has two exits, depending which way you're going. Why they didn't extend it along the Dolphin Expressway (836) when they had the chance is beyond me...maybe it was denied.

roadman65

It would have made sense to do that.  Extending I-395 to the FL Turnpike would make a lot of sense.  However, we all know the sensible thing to do has not quite always been done.  Hey look at NJ not extending I-76 to Atlantic City via the freeway system they have already.   There are more, but I think that one is enough to point out.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.