News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

FHWA Series F use in Canada

Started by SignGeek101, October 02, 2014, 10:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SignGeek101

Has anyone seen Series F in Canada? I know it is quite rare in the US (NY uses them on BGS for state route signs), but I've only seen one sign in Canada (pic below). (I believe this is series F, correct me if I'm wrong.)

According to the Manual of Standard Traffic Signs & Pavement Markings for BC, they only use Series B to EM (mind you, the report was written in 2000; BC now uses Clearview).

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/publications/eng_publications/electrical/MoST_PM.pdf

So, does anyone else recall seeing FHWA Series F being used in Canada?

cl94

Don't know about Canada, but New York stopped using it on BGSes within the past 2 years or so. Every new sign I've seen is in Series D.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Zeffy

Quote from: cl94 on October 02, 2014, 10:36:26 PM
Don't know about Canada, but New York stopped using it on BGSes within the past 2 years or so. Every new sign I've seen is in Series D.

I thought New York used Series E for their 2-digit route shields (both guide sign/non-guide sign usages)? When did they change to D?
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

cl94

Quote from: Zeffy on October 02, 2014, 10:41:42 PM
Quote from: cl94 on October 02, 2014, 10:36:26 PM

I thought New York used Series E for their 2-digit route shields (both guide sign/non-guide sign usages)? When did they change to D?

Once upon a time, it was E for all state routes and D for all Interstates. A few of the newer signs in the Buffalo area appear to be D for 3-digit routes, uncommon out here. Quite a few signs on NY 400 were replaced last year with some of them in D. Thinking about it, newer NYSTA installations are E, but I'm pretty sure that the recent (last 3 months) installations on NY 33 are D, with a couple I-290 shields being C (that I can say with 100% certainty). Haven't been that way in a while, but I remember them looking odd in more than one way.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Zeffy

Here's some of the signs I saw using Series E:

I-290 at NY 263 - https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9874499,-78.7971184,3a,15y,154.77h,94.38t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPv0wWfAsgXh2QtC0f27_jw!2e0

NY 33 - https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9324947,-78.7701714,3a,47.5y,89.68h,99.66t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sIDC4EmzpzLOtOsBkRVg-FA!2e0

From what I saw on GMSV, some of the Series D NY marker signs appear to be on I-190 in the Buffalo region.

More on topic, I'm surprised the US hasn't gotten rid of Series F like they did with A, especially as I don't recall seeing any signs in the '09 MUTCD or the '12 SHS using F anymore; it appears they use either E or EM. Personally, I think that the halation effect is very prominent on Series F. F-modified would probably be difficult to read going 70+ MPH.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

cl94

Quote from: Zeffy on October 02, 2014, 11:30:09 PM
Here's some of the signs I saw using Series E:

I-290 at NY 263 - https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9874499,-78.7971184,3a,15y,154.77h,94.38t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sPv0wWfAsgXh2QtC0f27_jw!2e0

NY 33 - https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9324947,-78.7701714,3a,47.5y,89.68h,99.66t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sIDC4EmzpzLOtOsBkRVg-FA!2e0

From what I saw on GMSV, some of the Series D NY marker signs appear to be on I-190 in the Buffalo region.

More on topic, I'm surprised the US hasn't gotten rid of Series F like they did with A, especially as I don't recall seeing any signs in the '09 MUTCD or the '12 SHS using F anymore; it appears they use either E or EM. Personally, I think that the halation effect is very prominent on Series F. F-modified would probably be difficult to read going 70+ MPH.

Region 5 went on a huge sign replacement spree on NY 33, 198, and 400, US 219, and the LaSalle Expressway over the past 2 years. Almost everything on those roads is new. I expect I-290 and I-990 to be getting the treatment within a year or two. Most of the area's button copy and all-text signage was taken with it because Region 5 hates old signs. I can count the number of remaining button copy assemblies I know of on two hands, all but one are on NYSTA-maintained highways or at an intersection with one.

cbeach40

Ontario has Series F in the library, but I honestly don't pay enough attention to the variations to recognize how often we use it.
and waterrrrrrr!

J N Winkler

Perhaps the US-specific stuff on Series F should be split to another thread?

Series F seems to be dying out in California as well--its principal remaining application was in "WRONG WAY" signs (part of Caltrans' standard ramp signing package) but now Caltrans has switched to the FHWA design, which uses Series D instead.  (This is just by the by, but the pointy one-way signs are on the way out as well.)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Dr Frankenstein

I've seen Series F used on a couple of isolated occasions in Ontario, mostly on construction signage.

Ren97

Never seen Series F in Quebec, and doubt they'll ever use it. After all, Clearview is now the new norm here.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.