News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Songs that could easily be split into two separate songs

Started by roadman65, October 10, 2014, 09:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Feeling That Way/Anytime That You Want Me by Journey
Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid by Zeppelin
Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go? by Soft Cell
Starship Trooper, I've Seen All Good People, Close to the Edge, And You and I, plus others by Yes
The Trees, Closer to the Heart by Rush
Intro/Sweet Jane by Lou Reed
Train Kept a Rollin by Aerosmith
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

US71

Quote from: roadman65 on October 11, 2014, 03:35:49 PM

Aquarius and Let The Sunshine In are two separate songs already.

Yet, I've never heard them separately
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Jardine

Pete from Boston

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 03, 2016, 09:57:32 PM
Heartbreaker/Living Loving Maid by Zeppelin

Of course, they always get played together, like "Eruption" and "You Really Got Me," but like those this is actually a pair of two songs.

Quote from: Jardine on February 04, 2016, 12:03:40 AM
How many in Tubular Bells ??

Two.  They had to split the album to fit two sides!

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 10, 2014, 12:46:06 PM
"No Sugar Tonight" by the Guess Who

Having this as a separate song was the original intent, but the record company was concerned about the short length so they "asked" the band to combine the song with "New Mother Nature".
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US71 on February 03, 2016, 10:51:58 PM

Same as We Will Rock You and We are the Champions (although I occasion hear just one).  Why are the constantly played together?

PHLBOS

Quote from: Big John on October 10, 2014, 05:46:54 PMKn Nights in White Satin / (bad poetry) - Moody Blues
FTFY.  The poetry segment is actually titled Late Lament

Quote from: US71 on February 03, 2016, 10:51:58 PM

You obviously never saw Hair nor heard its soundtrack album, be it the musical (which debuted in 1968) or the movie version (1979); which is where those 2 songs originated.  Aquarius was the first song of the production and Let the Sunshine In was the finale.  The latter had a much different lead-in than the 5th-Dimension's transition and is actually titled The Flesh Failures (Let the Sunshine In).

Since you haven't heard those 2 songs separately, allow me to provide you with such:

Aquarius from the Original Cast of Hair

The Flesh Failures (Let the Sunshine In) from the Original Cast of Hair
GPS does NOT equal GOD

froggie

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on February 04, 2016, 04:27:43 PM
Surprised nobody's mentioned Rush's 2112 yet...

Cause they said two, not five or six.  :-D

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: hbelkins on February 04, 2016, 05:02:29 PM

Because it's split up into separate tracks on the album/cd. 

I was in the supermarket the other day and heard No Sugar Tonight without New Mother Nature.  Plus there's a hard rock version of We Will Rock You a la carte on Live Killers.  Speaking of Queen, Brighton Rock is certainly 4 or 5 songs in 1.

In a Gadda Da Vida by Iron Butterfly is about 5 or 6 songs in 1.

And one more from the Captain Obvious department: Suite: Judy Blue Eyes by CSN
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

RoadWarrior56

There is a Jackson Browne song from 1978, that has a first song (forgot its title) followed by a cover of "Stay", which was made popular years earlier by Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on February 04, 2016, 05:39:24 PM
There is a Jackson Browne song from 1978, that has a first song (forgot its title) followed by a cover of "Stay", which was made popular years earlier by Maurice Williams and the Zodiacs.

The Load Out/Stay.  Already mentioned.

CNGL-Leudimin

Pomp and Circumstance March no. 1 by Elgar. I feel it's more like two tunes in one, one of them being the well known Land of Hope and Glory.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

roadman

Gordon Lightfoot's Cabaret - from the Summer Side of Life album - qualifies under the "actually two songs" category.  In fact, on the studio version, Lightfoot intentionally pauses between the first part (the "Yesterday's a Cabaret" portion) and the second part (with the "I'd like to tell her that I miss her so" chorus.).  Musically, both parts are entirely different.

The second part also qualifies as a roadgeek song, as it has references to driving in California.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

froggie

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on February 04, 2016, 05:38:06 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 04, 2016, 05:02:29 PM

Because it's split up into separate tracks on the album/cd. 

Not on my CD (remastered studio album).  A single, 21-and-change minute track.

Rothman

I'd say "Sweet Child of Mine" and "November Rain" by Guns 'N Roses could be split into two songs each.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

lepidopteran

The title track of "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "With a Little Help from My Friends" by The Beatles are also two connected songs.  However, you'll occasionally hear the second song by itself, but rarely if ever hear the first one.

Then there's that string of songs on the B-side of Abbey Road.

rawmustard

"Jesus of Suburbia" by Green Day has five distinct movements. Considering that the American Idiot album was later the basis for a musical, this shouldn't come as a surprise.

LGLS991

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: lepidopteran on February 07, 2016, 12:03:50 AM
The title track of "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" and "With a Little Help from My Friends" by The Beatles are also two connected songs.  However, you'll occasionally hear the second song by itself, but rarely if ever hear the first one.

Then there's that string of songs on the B-side of Abbey Road.

And on the B-Side of Sergeant Pepper you have the Sergeant Pepper reprise and A Day in the Life tied together.  More often than not A Day in the Life (which is a 2 song sandwich itself) is played separately.

brycecordry

Suite for 20 G by James Taylor ('70)

It was three incomplete songs strung together so Taylor could finish the album by the deadline and earn the $20,000 the label was going to pay him.
A freeway is a freeway. We could cheaply build many new Interstates if it weren't for the nitty-gritty intricacy of Interstate Standards.

hbelkins

I may have mentioned this before, but in the LP days, the album rock/classic rock station I listened to most (WKQQ in Lexington), and others, played "Livin' Lovin' Maid" and "Ramble On" together as if they were one song. When CDs came out, they quit doing that and started playing "Heartbreaker" and "Livin' Lovin' Maid" together. I'm not sure why they made this change.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hm insulators

"Sabbath Bloody Sabbath," Black Sabbath
"Love to Love," UFO
"This Kid's/Between the Walls," UFO
"Free Will," Rush
"To Live is to Die," Metallica
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

tribar

froggie

QuoteWhen CDs came out, they quit doing that and started playing "Heartbreaker" and "Livin' Lovin' Maid" together. I'm not sure why they made this change.

This is the set you'd typically hear together in the Upper Midwest, dating to the pre-CD days.

QuoteOh well- Fleetwood Mac

Familiar with "part 1".  Did they ever have a "part 2?"

elsmere241

Quote from: Mapmikey on October 10, 2014, 12:46:06 PM
"Eye in the Sky" by Alan Parsons Project (in the full version there is a long musical intro that is not all that similar to the song where the lyrics are)

That opening part is called "Sirius".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.