News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Florida

Started by FLRoads, January 21, 2009, 12:31:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

Quote from: roadman65 on January 29, 2016, 07:54:24 AM
On another note, the Airport Toll Plaza on SR 528 is closing for good this Sunday Night.  Tolls from both will be collected at the Beeline West and it will go from $1.00 to $2.25 as that plaza was $1.25. 

The ramps at W Bound Exits 8 and 9 will have $1.25 ramp tolls to compensate for the short travels, and if you have SUNPASS or EPASS you will have some sort of reprieve as E Bound Exit 8 and the on ramp from McCoy Road at Boggy Creek Road to FL 528 W Bound will subtract $1.25 from you trip via overhead gantries installed on those ramps.

I know this is going to piss off a lot of motorists and I will have to hear it come Monday Morning.  However most people were complaining anyway about how close those two plazas were together as being less than five miles away from each other.   Most were asking if Florida does that everywhere where you pay a toll and then pull out to pay another.  In retrospect  I plan to kindly tell them that when they come through the plaza I work at that the increase is to eliminate another nearby plaza to make it one stop shopping instead of the two stops previous.  I am sure that will still not go well, but it is what it is.

So be prepared if you use FL 528 now.

About time IMO. That airport plaza is the last one without open road tolling lanes and is therefore the only one that causes traffic jams. It can get bad, especially with all of the tourists who hit this plaza right after leaving the airport. Cost-wise the tolls aren't increasing for those driving the whole road and this will remove a significant bottleneck.

I'm glad to see them using SunPass to issue toll refunds for those taking certain exits. It's good that they're making an effort to keep it a consistent cost per mile.

DeaconG

Quote from: realjd on January 29, 2016, 09:36:09 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 29, 2016, 07:54:24 AM
On another note, the Airport Toll Plaza on SR 528 is closing for good this Sunday Night.  Tolls from both will be collected at the Beeline West and it will go from $1.00 to $2.25 as that plaza was $1.25. 

The ramps at W Bound Exits 8 and 9 will have $1.25 ramp tolls to compensate for the short travels, and if you have SUNPASS or EPASS you will have some sort of reprieve as E Bound Exit 8 and the on ramp from McCoy Road at Boggy Creek Road to FL 528 W Bound will subtract $1.25 from you trip via overhead gantries installed on those ramps.

I know this is going to piss off a lot of motorists and I will have to hear it come Monday Morning.  However most people were complaining anyway about how close those two plazas were together as being less than five miles away from each other.   Most were asking if Florida does that everywhere where you pay a toll and then pull out to pay another.  In retrospect  I plan to kindly tell them that when they come through the plaza I work at that the increase is to eliminate another nearby plaza to make it one stop shopping instead of the two stops previous.  I am sure that will still not go well, but it is what it is.

So be prepared if you use FL 528 now.

About time IMO. That airport plaza is the last one without open road tolling lanes and is therefore the only one that causes traffic jams. It can get bad, especially with all of the tourists who hit this plaza right after leaving the airport. Cost-wise the tolls aren't increasing for those driving the whole road and this will remove a significant bottleneck.

I'm glad to see them using SunPass to issue toll refunds for those taking certain exits. It's good that they're making an effort to keep it a consistent cost per mile.

And if nothing else it will end that horrrific weaving before and especially after leaving the booth eastbound, "Oh, THIS is the Airport exit (cuts over two lanes slowly)"...
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Brian556

Interesting that they used Tampa instead of Orlando. Probably cause Orlando was much smaller and less significant back then.

It would be fun to use this photo to test people's intelligence, to see if they can figure out where this picture was taken. I know a lot of adults would fail lol.

UCFKnights

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 11, 2016, 12:34:00 AM
Quote from: UCFKnights on January 09, 2016, 04:01:14 PM
What part of that sign is homemade?
Obviously the misspelled, stenciled "By FDOT" sign mounted over it.

BTW, I'm still working on naming the SR 50 and Barclay signals.

I've seen lots of those barricades labelled in that manner. I thought that was just to identify ownership and department?

Brian556

Quote from UFC Knights:
QuoteI've seen lots of those barricades labelled in that manner. I thought that was just to identify ownership and department?

It is to identify ownership. I'm thinking the "BV" is to identify the FDOT office that it belongs to.

florida

Quote from: Brian556 on January 30, 2016, 08:08:13 PM

Interesting that they used Tampa instead of Orlando. Probably cause Orlando was much smaller and less significant back then.

It would be fun to use this photo to test people's intelligence, to see if they can figure out where this picture was taken. I know a lot of adults would fail lol.

I'm going to say southbound Beach Street at Bellevue.
So many roads...so little time.

jwolfer

Orlando was about the same stature of Ocala or Daytona Beach.. 2 WESH the NBC affiliate was licenced to Daytona Beach

jwolfer

Quote from: florida on January 31, 2016, 04:34:09 PM

I'm going to say southbound Beach Street at Bellevue.
I would think Ridgewood Ave at Volusia Ave( Volusia is now international speedway Blvd)

theFXexpert

New welcome signs to be put up at state lines on interstates
QuoteThe new signs on southbound I-95 and I-75 [and eastbound I-10], as well as scaled-down versions of them for photo opportunities at the welcome centers, are part of the project. They also include new "Thank You for Visiting Florida"  signs for northbound traffic leaving the state. The project features new sidewalks, fencing and lighting at the welcome centers, all scheduled for completion in the fall.

Tampa Bay Times: Suncoast Parkway set to expand even as it fails to meet projections
QuoteBefore the Suncoast Parkway opened, a consultant predicted that it would be so full of cars its toll booths would rake in $150 million a year by 2014.

That forecast wasn't close. Nor were the next two. The consultant eventually settled on a forecast of $38 million a year.

But when 2014 rolled around, the road was so empty it collected a mere $22 million.

Yet the Florida Department of Transportation now wants to spend $256.7 million to extend the Suncoast another 13 miles north through Citrus County. And the projections the DOT is relying on to justify what has been dubbed Suncoast 2 are from the same consultant that got the first phase so wrong.

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@28.4288194,-81.3056089,3a,75y,326.23h,90.46t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1szG6BBjI2Z9_pnoU4k5Ooww!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I just noticed that the current defunct Airport Plaza on FL 528 is not the original toll plaza.  The original plaza opened in 1982, looked exactly like the parking plazas inside the airport as seen above.

The former one now that is being removed looks like this:
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.4515572,-81.3195622,3a,75y,270.46h,73.27t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sQUA0p21IE-KQBRsGVHl4Iw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I assume that sometime later that plaza was expanded to accommodate more lanes, as I think  I vaguely remember the E PASS conversion did cause most plazas on the former OOCEA to rebuild back in the mid to  late 90's.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

theFXexpert

A bill in the Florida legislature aims to ban local governments from installing red light cameras.
QuoteA bill to bar cities and counties from installing cameras at intersections to catch red light runners, narrowly passed its final committee stop in the Florida House and is now heading to the full House.
QuoteA similar bill in the Florida Senate sponsored by Sen. Jeff Brandes, R-St. Petersburg, still has two committees to clear before it can get to a Senate floor vote. In order for the red light camera ban to become law, identical bills must pass both the House and Senate and be allowed by Gov. Rick Scott.

FLRoads

Plans for elevated lanes over Gandy Boulevard (U.S. 92) move forward

QuoteA project 25 years in the making moved closer to reality Monday when the Tampa-Hillsborough Expressway Authority unanimously voted to spend about $2.6 million to design an elevated highway over Gandy Boulevard.

The project, which will cost between $165 million and $190 million, will be built in the median of Gandy Boulevard and will extend the Selmon Expressway 1.6 miles from Dale Mabry Highway to the Gandy Bridge.

Although it has generated opposition in the neighborhood over the years, no one spoke against it at the authority meeting Monday. Three people addressed the authority in support of the crosstown extension, saying it will help alleviate traffic from drivers crossing the Gandy Bridge.

QuoteReached after the meeting, Alan Steenson, president of the Gandy Civic Association, said he was unaware that the vote was scheduled. Steenson said area residents still oppose the proposal, which he said won't do much to alleviate traffic in the area and will only be used by drivers during rush hour.

QuoteExpressway Authority spokeswoman Susan Chrzan said the plan is to break ground by the end of 2017 and have the project completed by 2020.

Hopefully the design will not be complete only to be shelved again.

roadman65

Wow no complaints about neighborhood dividing as elevated (and even below grade) freeways have known to have done that in the past.  This should be interesting to see when it breaks.

Sheryl Crowe

RG407

Quote from: roadman65 on February 12, 2016, 05:57:57 PM
I just noticed that the current defunct Airport Plaza on FL 528 is not the original toll plaza.  The original plaza opened in 1982, looked exactly like the parking plazas inside the airport as seen above.

I assume that sometime later that plaza was expanded to accommodate more lanes, as I think  I vaguely remember the E PASS conversion did cause most plazas on the former OOCEA to rebuild back in the mid to  late 90's.

I think it might actually be the original plaza.  It was modified after the start of the E-Pass era (I can't remember when exactly) to resemble OOCEA's other mainline plazas.  I don't remember if they added lanes, but it seems likely it would have been expanded at some point.

theFXexpert

Some notes/observations from my recent trip to Bradenton last weekend:

A new interchange is being constructed on I-95 at the Matanzas Woods Parkway in Flagler County. Ramp embankments are constructed but appear to be unpaved. (It was dark when I passed by both times). Some conventional light poles were installed. Overhead sign gantry parts were on the side of the road awaiting assembly.

Near the US 92 interchange with I-95, the Bellevue Ave overpass was demolished and replaced as part of the I-95 improvements there.

A new flyover for I-4 eastbound to I-95 northbound traffic is being constructed and will replace the existing one.

Some land was cleared on I-75 between the Turnpike and CR 470 for drainage ponds and potential widening.

I-75's northbound overpass over CR 470 has been demolished while a replacement is being constructed. All traffic is using the southbound span.

I-75's new southbound span over SR 48 is complete. The northbound span has been demolished and is being replaced.

I-75 six-laning is complete from north of SR 52 to the Hernando/Pasco County line. Some nice looking overhead signage was installed at the CR 41 interchange along with a combination of high-mast lighting and conventional light poles.

Just north of the SR 52 interchange, a new overpass to carry I-75 is being constructed. An overhead sign gantry was also installed north of the interchange.

Concrete poles for wire span signals were installed on US 41 at the northbound exit/entrance ramps for I-275 in Manatee County.

The last wire span signal on SR 64 in West Bradenton was axed (The one at Village Green Pkwy). It has been replaced with mast arms using a flashing yellow arrow configuration in both directions. The signals are operational but, the flashing yellow arrow itself is not active yet and is covered with tarp (The other arrows on the signal are operating).

Alex

Another article about the shift away from Clearview, but from the Florida stand point:

Road signs will keep aging letter style

QuoteIn Florida, the road department most taken with Clearview has been Central Florida Expressway Authority, according to the highway guide AARoads.

Just as the Federal Highway Administration is about ban Clearview, Florida's Department of Transportation opted at the last minute not to order hundreds of signs designed with the newer font as part the massive I-4 overhaul.

But DOT did use Clearview signs along a short section of recently opened Wekiva Parkway.

A Central Florida Expressway Authority spokesman said his agency will press ahead with Clearview signs already in the pipeline for current construction on S.R. 408 and Wekiva Parkway.

xcellntbuy

The Lord (or the FHWA) is merciful and just.

rickmastfan67

Can't believe this site got a mention there in that article!

roadman65

What is up with FL 39 in Plant City?  North of I-4 they built a new bypass (the Alexander Street Extension) which has FL 39 shields on it.  The north end of the bypass ends at its old alignment with a continuous transition while the old FL 39 is signed Hillsbourough County 39 where you have to now make a left turn southbound and a right turn from a stop street to continue northbound.
It is even signed along Alexander Street from I-4 with the old road as CR 39 as well.

Yet along US 92 FL 39 is signed junctioning at its old alignment still showing the short concurrency with the US route, with no mention of it along Alexander Street at all!  Then on the south side of town riding northbound on Redman Parkway where FL 39 always was aligned there is no signs telling you to turn left on Alexander Street.  Its like FL 39 was never realigned and still uses the Redman/ Collins/ Baker & Reynolds couplet/ Wheeler/ Buchman alignments through the heart of the city.

Will the real FL 39 please stand up!

Sheryl Crowe

FLRoads

Perhaps an email to FDOT District 7 is in order? If I remember tomorrow, I'll send them one (I have a contact or two there) regarding the status of SR 39.

roadman65

Good news on the other side of the Peninsula!  The east end of I-4 is finally getting exit numbers for I-95!

Instead of the ramp for FL 400 having the exit number for that particular interchange like it always did, now I-95 will have A & B suffixes while the ramp to FL 400 will have an I-4 END assembly atop it with no number.

The I-4 carriageways from FL 44 at DeLand to its terminus with I-95 at Daytona is completely regraded with concrete instead of asphalt and should be completely done by the end of this year according to the blue project signs.

In addition a new flyover from I-4 E Bound to I-95 N Bound is being built as well as a brand new interchange between I-95 and US 92.  Currently two new bridges are being constructed over US 92 in the median of I-95 for the roadbeds to be shifted in a more straight alignment instead of the two current ones splitting apart there to allow for the W Bound US 92 to S Bound I-95 to merge from the left side of I-95 S Bound.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Quote from: theFXexpert on March 07, 2016, 10:47:29 PM
I-75's northbound overpass over CR 470 has been demolished while a replacement is being constructed. All traffic is using the southbound span.
I saw that after I went to a car and bike show in Webster. On the way back I thought I'd take a drive through Sumterville and Lake Panasoffkee.

I saw the design FDOT had, and I'm kind of disappointed with it. I was hoping they were going to keep the turning ramps at the end of the northbound ramp at CR 475. then divide CR 475 between the northbound off-ramp and CR 470. Maybe they'll at least combine Sumterville and Lake Panasoffkee into the same BGS's, but I can only cross my fingers in this case.

D-Dey65

Something I noticed about Florida. I was looking at some Historic Aerials Online of random Hernando County locations, and I saw that in Rital (now part of Ridge Manor), the former Atlantic Coast Line Railroad line that is today the Withlacoochee State Trail used to go UNDER US 98/SR 50, not over it. I would love to see an image of that. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: D-Dey65 on April 23, 2016, 11:25:38 PM
Something I noticed about Florida. I was looking at some Historic Aerials Online of random Hernando County locations, and I saw that in Rital (now part of Ridge Manor), the former Atlantic Coast Line Railroad line that is today the Withlacoochee State Trail used to go UNDER US 98/SR 50, not over it. I would love to see an image of that.

The Pasco County Historical Society has a website and might have what you are looking for since that line ran south to Trilby and Dade City.  FL 50 is a weird one east of Rital, I'm fairly certain that it followed Ridge Manor Blvd through to Ridge Manor itself all the way back to Cortez at the Phosphate Mine just east of the Circle K with US 98 cutting south along Olancha Road to Dade City.  I'm also fairly certain the grade just north of the current FL 50/US 98 bridge over the Withlacoochee River is part of a much older bridge.  Things get even nuttier out in the Green Swamp around Richloam and what was Riverland.

Alex

Poinciana Parkway will open on Saturday April 30. There's a 5K run in the morning and a dedication ceremony.
If I don't have any plans with Andy on Saturday I'd be up for meeting up with anyone there or in Orange County to check it out.

Also I noted on the 5K run page a Toll FL 538 shield graphic.
https://runsignup.com/Race/FL/Kissimmee/SolivitaPresentsthePoincianaParkway5k

The road will be toll free until June 1st and cost $1.75 at that time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.