News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Indiana Notes

Started by mukade, October 25, 2012, 09:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

codyg1985

It's about time. It looked to be in rough shape the last time I was on it this past August.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

theline

Here's the South Bend Tribune article on the project: http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/business/indiana-toll-road-targeted-for-m-in-improvements/article_4ca0677c-c9e7-11e5-913e-7bf3dcd4789d.html

QuoteKen Daley, the CEO of ITR Concession Co., said the project, named 80/90 PUSH, is "almost a complete rebuild" of the 73-mile section of highway. The acronym PUSH stands for Pavement Upgrade for a Superior Highway.

"What's happened previously is what we call a mill-and-fill – that's scraping off the top couple of inches (of pavement) and then putting it back again," Daley said.

With this project, he said, "We're going back down to the structure of the actual road, cracking the concrete that's below and putting in a new bonding layer over the top. Rather than get three to five or perhaps seven years of life out of the pavement, we'll be getting 12 to 14 years of life out of the new pavement. It'll be much smoother and less prone to cracking."

coatimundi

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on December 30, 2015, 07:27:15 PM
Quote from: US 41 on December 30, 2015, 01:53:23 PM
I wish I-64 would have went through Vincennes, because it would be a great route to Louisville from Terre Haute. I also think an I-64 paralleling US 50 and 150 would have been better for the state of Indiana. Regionally I think I-64 current route was the best route, but as far as Indiana is concerned I think it would have served more people in Indiana if it would have went through Vincennes. I may be wrong however.

IMO, I-164 would have been located along or near US 41 from Evansville to Vincennes, which would have likely become part of I-69 too, especially since opponents of the existing I-69 corridor were proposing an alternative via US 41 and I-70, which I think would have been chosen for I-69 if I-164 (or even I-63) was already built along the US 41 corridor.

While living in Bloomington, I would almost always use US 50 to go to St. Louis. It was often faster than SR 46 to I-70, especially after I-69 was built up to US 231. I haven't read through the history of Indiana interstates yet (but that's an awesome document, and that's what I'll be reading today), but I would assume I-64 was routed to the south because Evansville has always been the regional center for Kentuckiana yet geography prevented it from crossing the Wabash closer to Evansville. Same reason I-69 was brought through Evansville instead of following US 231 over that nice, new bridge over the Ohio.
What map is that that shows I-64 routed through Vincennes and along 50?

theline

A portion of SR-933 in South Bend will be turned over to the city, in an agreement with INDOT. The city will get $4.43 million in the deal. The city wanted control of the paired one-way streets, Main and Michigan/St. Joseph, so it can transform the streets to two-way throughout downtown. This will presumably leave SR-933 in two sections, from Marion Street north to the Michigan state line and Michigan Street east to the Elkhart County line. The city of Mishawaka has been reported previously to be negotiating to take over its rather lengthy portion of the route. The town of Osceola has no interest in taking its portion.

I've been predicting disaster for South Bend's plan to convert the streets. It will reduce two busy four lane streets into a pair of two lane streets.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/state-to-transfer-to-south-bend-pay-city-million/article_22f5f31e-cb64-11e5-95ed-a3565a327f22.html

silverback1065

Quote from: theline on February 04, 2016, 02:09:47 PM
A portion of SR-933 in South Bend will be turned over to the city, in an agreement with INDOT. The city will get $4.43 million in the deal. The city wanted control of the paired one-way streets, Main and Michigan/St. Joseph, so it can transform the streets to two-way throughout downtown. This will presumably leave SR-933 in two sections, from Marion Street north to the Michigan state line and Michigan Street east to the Elkhart County line. The city of Mishawaka has been reported previously to be negotiating to take over its rather lengthy portion of the route. The town of Osceola has no interest in taking its portion.

I've been predicting disaster for South Bend's plan to convert the streets. It will reduce two busy four lane streets into a pair of two lane streets.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/news/state-to-transfer-to-south-bend-pay-city-million/article_22f5f31e-cb64-11e5-95ed-a3565a327f22.html

INDOT has been desperate to rid themselves of 933 for years, it's going to be weird seeing 2 sections though.  Maybe they'll do something like Delaware st in downtown indy, 3 lanes in the direction it always did when it was one way, and 1 lane in the opposite direction. 

seicer

Disaster? That's what they said for Huntington, W.Va. when they converted a four-lane one-way street to one-lane in each direction with on-street parking and a turning lane. Traffic will funnel onto other side streets to complete their trip - and those trips in downtown and urban areas should be slower, not faster.

tdindy88

The Tribune's story on this seemed to indicate that Main Street was going to remain under INDOT control and I thought they were going to make that two-way as well. Could 933 simply be rerouted to Main Street from Sample Road north to Marion Street to maintain a single routing? Or was there something there I missed.

theline

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 04, 2016, 04:31:50 PM
The Tribune's story on this seemed to indicate that Main Street was going to remain under INDOT control and I thought they were going to make that two-way as well. Could 933 simply be rerouted to Main Street from Sample Road north to Marion Street to maintain a single routing? Or was there something there I missed.

You're right, tdindy88. The story was updated about 2 hours ago with the additional information about Main Street still being part of 933. The plan all along has been for both Main and Michigan/St. Joseph to be converted to angle parking, with one through lane in each direction, plus a center turn lane. I presume that this will still be done to Main, though we will have to see if the agreement with INDOT revised that plan at all. If Main remains a part of 933, then the route will remain continuous through downtown South Bend, though with far less capacity. It seems asinine to have 933 four lanes outside downtown and then shrink it to two through lanes downtown.

silverback1065

i would think 933 will still be continuous and signed.  i wonder if they will still sign it as one of indiana's few business routes.

NWI_Irish96

The routing of 933 already doesn't make sense, now it will make less.  If you're heading west on 933 from Mishawaka, want to get downtown, and know the area, you stay on Linconway/Monroe to Michigan instead of exiting onto Sample.  Now, the NB routing is going to take you a block farther west than you need to go to Main.

Oh, and what are they going to do with the Main/Michigan/Marion intersection?  It's designed for a one-way pair, not for two two-way streets?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

theline

Several roundabouts are in the works for this project. I think one of them will replace the Main-Michigan-Marion intersection. It now appears that 933 will remain continuous, though rerouted, through downtown, but leaving just bits and pieces of signed highways with random ends is nothing new to INDOT:

• The Marshall County-St. Joseph County portion of SR-931 has it's northern terminus at the South Bend city limit. Some time I'll drive down there and get a pic of the END sign.
  • The southern (eastern) terminus of SR-933 is at the Elkhart County line.
  • SR-332 has its east end at a random street in Muncie, though the road it is on (McGalliard) continues on as a major road through Muncie.
  • Then there's the awkward disappearance of SR-25 in Lafayette.
Do I need to go on?

silverback1065

Quote from: theline on February 05, 2016, 12:12:21 PM
Several roundabouts are in the works for this project. I think one of them will replace the Main-Michigan-Marion intersection. It now appears that 933 will remain continuous, though rerouted, through downtown, but leaving just bits and pieces of signed highways with random ends is nothing new to INDOT:

• The Marshall County-St. Joseph County portion of SR-931 has it's northern terminus at the South Bend city limit. Some time I'll drive down there and get a pic of the END sign.
  • SR-332 has its east end at a random street in Muncie, though the road it is on (McGalliard) continues on as a major road through Muncie.
Do I need to go on?

I'll add one more the completely useless SR 662, also I thought SR 931 was handed over to the counties it went through up there last year, did the deal fall through?

US 41

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 05, 2016, 12:16:25 PM

Do I need to go on?

I'll add one more the completely useless SR 662, also I thought SR 931 was handed over to the counties it went through up there last year, did the deal fall through?

IMO counties have no business taking care of 4 lane highways. I hope it remains SR 931 for a very long time.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

silverback1065

Ya I agree, like sagamore and binford Blvd

Nexus 6P

rawmustard

...also I thought SR 931 was handed over to the counties it went through up there last year, did the deal fall through?

As far as I know it begins at the Marshall-St Joseph line and, as mentioned above, ends at the South Bend city limit. There was only one set of reassurance markers at SR 4.

US 41

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 05, 2016, 12:44:52 PM
Ya I agree, like sagamore and binford Blvd

Nexus 6P

And now the former US 52 in Lafayette and pretty soon US 40 west of West Terre Haute. Just wait until these roads need redone. County roads in Indiana are already pretty bad for the most part, does the state really think that these counties can handle 4 lane highways. The only reason the counties and towns across Indiana are doing it is because they are getting immediate money, and by the time this problem (the roads needing fixed) comes around the current people in office will be long gone and it won't be their problem.

If I remember right, the mayor of Terre Haute (Duke Bennett) vetoed the city council's vote of maintaining US 40 through Terre Haute, but then the city council overrided his veto.

silverback1065

Indot did the same with sr 22, gave kokomo barely enough money to mill and resurface the road.

Nexus 6P

NWI_Irish96

Do I need to go on?

Marshall County agreed to take control of their portion of Old US 31, but St Joseph County did not want to so that part is SR 931.  I thought it read that it was going to be unsigned, but maybe they decided to sign it.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

US 41

St. Joseph County is smart then. Also what's up with SR 4? Is INDOT really that pathetic not to extend it east to the new US 31?

tdindy88

I believe it is extended east to the new US 31. The highway sign at the exit there does say SR 4, not TO SR 4.

US 41

Quote from: tdindy88 on February 06, 2016, 08:53:23 AM
I believe it is extended east to the new US 31. The highway sign at the exit there does say SR 4, not TO SR 4.

You're probably right. On Google Maps it shows SR 4 ending at SR 931 (Old 31).

mukade

Quote from: US 41 on February 06, 2016, 09:12:15 AM

SR 4 was extended to the new US 31 before the freeway opened. I think that actually happened in 2012 or 2013. The freeway opened in 2014. That extension required a rebuild of the road. It had been a narrow county road before.

mukade

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 05, 2016, 01:09:43 PM
Indot did the same with sr 22, gave kokomo barely enough money to mill and resurface the road.

Nexus 6P

But they also gave the access to additional Federal grant money. If i remember right, it was around $5M which could be used anywhere in the city.

cjw2001

I've extended SR 4 on Google Maps over to the new US 31.   May take a day for the changes to show up.

US 41

Quote from: cjw2001 on February 07, 2016, 03:50:21 PM

I've extended SR 4 on Google Maps over to the new US 31.   May take a day for the changes to show up.

Off topic a little, but do you need an account to update Google Maps?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.