Tappan Zee Bridge Replacement?

Started by Ian, April 16, 2009, 09:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian

I read in the Wikipedia aritcle for the Tappen Zee Bridge (I-87/I-287) and I read that it was going to be replaced with a new 8 lane bridge with a possible trasit line accross it!! Anyone heard of this because its my first time hearing it??!!

-i
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Hellfighter

That would be pretty cool, I-87 and a Acela Line crossing the Hudson.

Ian

Though I don't really want it to be replaced. I love that bridge. I cross it like 8 times a year. Its a cool bridge!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Alps

If you like it so much, go back in time, because it's falling down.  It's from an era when bridges were built to last 40 years, when we thought we finally knew what we were doing.  Contrast with the GWB, where we vastly overbuilt it for what it had to do and as a result it's still around with an extra level.

yanksfan6129

. . . and the GWB is not falling apart!

Yeah, this is a bridge that desperately needs to be replaced. And finally extending a rail line into Rockland County could perhaps ease some congestion a little bit, b/c now everyone commuting to New York from Rockland County crosses that bridge in the morning (although I guess some take the PIP down to the GWB).

I think that Rockland needs a rail line, and it would make sense to include such a rail line with a new Tappan Zee Bridge.

Chris

Do people in Rockland County all commute all the way to New York City? Seems like quite a commuting distance to me...

yanksfan6129

Chris

Well, New City to Midtown Manhattan is like 40 miles if you want to avoid the GW Bridge. But maybe I'm too used to my own 1.5 mile commute  :) I used to commute 6 miles, which took me half an hour by car.

yanksfan6129

commutes of an hour are common here.

mightyace

There are people in the Poconos that commute to New York!

There is talk of extending commuter rail all the way to Scranton.

There is an existing line that runs from Port Jervis, NY.

The Port Jervis commute or coming from Monatauk Pt. on Long Island is a 2 hour commute.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Michael

See my post in the "Bridges You Would Like To See" thread for information about the possible replacement bridge.

Duke87

Interesting technical note about the existing Tappan Zee Bridge:

The soil on the riverbed there is very poor. So poor that, if the river wasn't there, you couldn't walk on it. You'd sink knee deep into the muck. Thus, the majority of the bridge piers are supported on piles. However, the main span (the high part) rests on hollow caissons. About a third of its weight is supported by buoyancy. If one of those caissons were to spring a leak...
...well, there is a pump system in there to deal with that, but if the leak was too big for the pumps to counter, the bridge would likely collapse.

Given that, it's no wonder they want to replace it. :ded:
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Nexis4Jersey

I hope they don't replace it , its a beautiful bridge , I love the Colors at night, I would like to see a double Bridge built next to it, maybe 3 or 4 lanes , if the do replace it don't build a Suspension , it would look ugly , build a Cable Stayed Bridge.

vdeane

That's odd, I've always though of suspension as beautiful.  Cable-stayed doesn't really do it for me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Alps

Echo deanej - not to mention, the current bridge is ugly as sin.  There are some very nice trusses out there, but this isn't one.  The Mississippi River has some of the best trusses in the world, for example.

OracleUsr

The bridge itself isn't that pretty, but the view of the Hudson Valley from the bridge to me rivals that of the Hudson River from the GWB.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Bryant5493

I was looking at History (Channel) last night, and there was a two-hour special detailing the U.S.'s  deteriorating infrastructure. The show talked about the levees in Sacramento; the busting pipes in Montgomery County, Maryland; the dam in Kentucky that holds back the Cumberland River; I-64 through St. Louis; and the Tappan Zee Bridge.

I know they showed how holes in the bridge (Tappan Zee) would appear in the concrete; how the bridge had to be painted periodically, and how termites were eating away at the untreated wood foundation.

In short, wow!

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Roadgeek Adam

I have a film detailing the the construction of a Cantilever bridge, which the Tappan Zee is one of. Its from the early 50s, its 28 minutes long, but I only have 23 minutes of it due to a transfer problem. It showed how a Cantliever Bridge is made and some of how the Tappan Zee was made. Looked really cool.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

signalman

I also watched that special on the History Channel.  The potential termite damage to the wooden pilings is disturbing.  Pieces of the bridge deck falling into the Hudson doesn't sound too appealing either.  I've only crossed the Tappan Zee once just to say I've done so, but after seeing what I saw on tv, I doubt I'd do so again. 

Chris

Quote from: signalman on September 02, 2009, 04:07:32 AM
I also watched that special on the History Channel.  The potential termite damage to the wooden pilings is disturbing.  Pieces of the bridge deck falling into the Hudson doesn't sound too appealing either.  I've only crossed the Tappan Zee once just to say I've done so, but after seeing what I saw on tv, I doubt I'd do so again. 

A 135,000 people think otherwise by crossing the bridge every day  :colorful:

But yeah, it's not like there's a nearby alternative...

mightyace

I also watched this History Channel special.  While I didn't detect any out and out lies, I think that they sensationalized the issue.

<rant>
This is one of one of many shows that while interesting, I don't think belong on the History Channel.  This special should have been on the Discovery Channel, The Science Channel or something similar.  Also, the reality shows, Ice Road Truckers, Pawn Stars, Extreme Trains, Ax Men, etc. belong on television but somewhere else.  Then there are the speculative shows like Monster Quest and UFO Hunters.
</rant>

Michael

Yeah, I saw that too, but it was a while ago.  The Tappan Zee is rated at 3.708 (7 is the best, 1 is the worst).  See page 3 of this PDF.

The special was called "The Crumbling of America".  Another bridge covered was even worse than the Tappan Zee.  The Dover Bridge in Idaho received a sufficiency rating of 2 out of 100.

The special is on again on Saturday, September 21st at 5:00 pm.  Click here for the show website.

mightyace

Quote from: Michael on September 02, 2009, 02:11:01 PM
The Tappan Zee is rated at 3.708 (7 is the best, 1 is the worst).  See page 3 of this PDF.

The special was called "The Crumbling of America".  Another bridge covered was even worse than the Tappan Zee.  The Dover Bridge in Idaho received a sufficiency rating of 2 out of 100.

If states/highway authorities want to get more support for toll facilities, they need to get this information out to the public.  That, and close unsafe bridges rather than keeping them open and hoping nothing happens.  Or, if you close the XYZ bridge, it might be easier to get tolls on the XYZ's replacement.

signalman

True, there isn't a close alternative.  But fortunately my travels never take me up that way much.  I do agree with you, mightyace that I'm sure it was dramatized to some extent.  Regardless, it's in need of replacement.  The bridge in Dover, ID was indeed in worse shape, but that does have a replacement in the works according to the documentary.

Terry Shea

Quote from: mightyace on September 02, 2009, 12:16:22 PM

I also watched this History Channel special.  While I didn't detect any out and out lies, I think that they sensationalized the issue.

That's typical for The History Channel.  Just because they have the name "The History Channel" doesn't necessarily mean that all their information is factual and/or historically accurate.  Have you ever noticed that on every story from the Bible that they analyze, they have the same panel of 4 or 5 "Biblical experts" that (eventually) contradict the stories? 

My favorite was the program they aired about Noah's Ark.  They concluded that there was a flood but it wasn't world wide, there weren't any animals on board and Noah and his family were able to survive because he had a brewery on board and they survived by drinking beer!

Sorry about getting off subject.  I'm not trying to derail the thread, but I thought this ws rather amusing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.