News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Abbreviation for Expressway: Expwy or Expy?

Started by Henry, May 22, 2013, 10:36:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

For many years, the term Expressway has been abbreviated Expwy, but recently, an alternative abbreviation, Expy, has come into use. That being said, which one do you prefer? (Mine is Expy, due to the many years of seeing it on Chicago signs.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brandon

I prefer "Expy" over "Expwy".  "Expwy" just looks weird after seeing "Expy" for decades around Chicago.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

1995hoo

I've seen signs in Florida that use "Exwy," which just struck me as utterly weird.

Everywhere else I've always seen "Expwy" when I've seen it used at all (usually in the New York area with their insistence on using names instead of numbers). Therefore, that looks natural to me.

Yeah, I know that seems to be the opposite of what I said in the "'Ave' versus 'Av'" thread, but it's more a situation that I don't ever recall seeing "Expy" on any signs so I'd never considered it a possibility, whereas I've seen both "Ave" and "Av" many times.

Edited to add: Here's a sample from the Tampa area on I-275 showing "Exwy": http://goo.gl/maps/BgTeW
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Like Brandon, I prefer Expy; but, as with Brandon, that might be due to seeing it in Chicagoland for years.  Five letters does seem over the top for an abbreviation of a trisyllablic word.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on May 22, 2013, 11:21:59 AM
Like Brandon, I prefer Expy; but, as with Brandon, that might be due to seeing it in Chicagoland for years.  Five letters does seem over the top for an abbreviation of a trisyllablic word.

Heh. How about five letters for a bisyllabic word? See Street View from Annandale, Virginia: http://goo.gl/maps/slbMS
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

deathtopumpkins

The DCR abbreviates it "Exp'way".

http://goo.gl/maps/AqvKR

Shudder.

I've also unofficially seen "X-way". I kinda like that.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

PHLBOS

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 22, 2013, 11:52:13 AMI've also unofficially seen "X-way". I kinda like that.
What do you mean by unofficially?

Pre-Big-Dig, there were a few late 70s/early 80s vintage BGS' for I-93 South before and after the Sumner Tunnel that had X-Way South listed as a control destination.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 22, 2013, 11:57:06 AM
Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 22, 2013, 11:52:13 AMI've also unofficially seen "X-way". I kinda like that.
What do you mean by unofficially?

Pre-Big-Dig; there were a few late 70s/early 80s vintage BGS' for I-93 South before and after the Sumner Tunnel that had X-Way South listed as a control destination.

I wasn't around here pre-Big Dig, so I wouldn't have seen those, and I've never seen an official sign with that abbreviation, but plenty of businesses refer to 93 as the "X-way". For example, a Shell station on the corner of Mass Ave and Columbus Ave proclaims itself the "Last gas before X-way".
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

myosh_tino

I prefer "Expwy" probably because that's the abbreviation used by Caltrans on guide signs in the San Jose area.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

agentsteel53

I can't remember where, but sometime on my travels I saw "Ew."

Ew indeed.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PHLBOS

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 22, 2013, 11:58:44 AM
FYI, the old I-93/Artery BGS' containing the word X-Way (or X-way) read:

90-93-3 SOUTH
X-Way South
Downtown Boston

The BGS closest to the Central Artery itself had an elongated right-turn arrow underneath the message was erected in the late 70s and faced traffic exiting the Sumner Tunnel. 

Side Bar: This BGS replaced an older BGS that read:

SOUTH
3 EXPRESSWAY SOUTH
DOWNTOWN BOSTON

Note: the SOUTH 3 signs were placed on the upper-left corner of the BGS and were similar to the trailblazer/assurance type signs.  These two signs were likely placed on the main BGS board in the early 70s (when the DPW re-aligned MA 3 onto the Artery & Southeast Expressway.

2 other overhead-mounted BGS displaying identical messages were added in the early 1980s.  One gantry was placed just before the Sumner Tunnel entrance, the other just outside of it.  All the shields on these 2 BGS' featured the older-style MassDPW fonts and button-copy lettering.

About a year or two after those BGS' were erected, the MTA or DPW revised the messages on the BGS panels directing would-be I-93 southbound traffic to read:

93-3 SOUTH
X-Way South
Dtwn Boston

IIRC, the original downward arrow was replaced w/a slightly smaller arrow to allow more room for the above-messages.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any old pictures on-line that showed these BGS'.

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 22, 2013, 11:58:44 AMbut plenty of businesses refer to 93 as the "X-way". For example, a Shell station on the corner of Mass Ave and Columbus Ave proclaims itself the "Last gas before X-way".
That designer of that sign likely copied the abbrev. term from the fore-mentioned BGS'.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

roadman65

Expwy makes more sense than Exwy.  We have one sign on I-4 that reads Exwy at one of the few locations that still refer to FL 408 as the East West Expressway.  Just east of Kaley Street it has it all in upper case which is also unusual for FDOT, but it seems so odd to see it.

However, I have seen Exp. used as abbreviations like on some maps, and one or two places around. Do not know if its Florida or some other city, but I know it exists.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

AsphaltPlanet

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

jeffandnicole

I'm pretty sure I've seen Atlantic City Exp. for the Expressway.

The way-more abbreviated form for that road is ACX.

Dr Frankenstein

Expy, which is also the abbreviation recommended by both the USPS and Canada Post.

Plus, that's what Montreal uses. :)

M3019C LPS20

"Expy" is an odd abbreviation in my opinion, since I used to see "Expwy" on various highway signs in New York City.

So, with that said, I prefer "Expwy."

signalman

I'm voting for Expwy too.  That's the abbreviation I'm used to seeing.  Expy makes me think that a letter fell off the sign, but it doesn't read "Exp y " 

agentsteel53

"Expy" sounds like an award given out in Hollywood, or the name of the mascot of a certain Windows version.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Duke87

"Expwy" is acceptable and normal, if perhaps a bit cumbersome. "Expy" looks wrong for the same reason as "Pky" - having the Y there without the W just doesn't say "way" to me.

When I am drawing maps, I will usually just use "EXP".
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

PurdueBill

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 22, 2013, 01:53:47 PM
Unfortunately, I couldn't find any old pictures on-line that showed these BGS'.

Amazingly, somehow I found this on an old backup...not sure where I saved it from now but I am glad I did.  Just uploaded to share...

Louisville, Kentucky also has at least one X-Way sign that I finally roughly recalled the location of and was able to scout out.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Molandfreak

Expy for no other reason than not forcing people to pronounce an extra three syllables if they don't know what it stands for, or if they otherwise choose to say each individual letter.

But I like X-way a lot better than that! :colorful:
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Roadsguy

"X-way" must be what NIMBYs use because they even hate to say the word "expressway."
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 22, 2013, 03:19:02 PM
I'm pretty sure I've seen Atlantic City Exp. for the Expressway.

The way-more abbreviated form for that road is ACX.

Here's one example, on an older BGS for the NJ Turnpike Interchange 3: http://goo.gl/maps/4KUel

New signs have since replaced these.  The Walt Whitman Bridge control 'city' is gone, but the 'Atlantic City Exp' remains, and actually has been added to a few other BGS for the exit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.