News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

A second Diverging Diamond planned in Minnesota

Started by froggie, March 11, 2011, 02:38:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

This time on US 52 at Elk Run, between Oronoco and Pine Island.

J N Winkler

Apparently it is a design-build, with the procurement process taking place last year (RFP issued June 3, award announced November 23).
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

kphoger

Diverging diamonds are fun!  I went out of my way last time I was in Springfield, MO, to navigate the one there.  I also frequently drive to Minnesota; they need to put one on I-35, though, so it would be on my way... Stinkers...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Ooh!  Just found out there's a new one in Branson, at an exit I use frequently on trips there.  Jct US-65 / MO-248, just north of the Branson Landing roundabout.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

For me the US 52/Elk Run DDI will be even more fun when I can download and study the plans for it.  If it had been done as a conventional design-bid-build contract, the plans would likely be available on MnDOT's EDMS sometime around now.  Since it is a design-build, the record drawings will be uploaded significantly in arrears (probably up to five years) of completion.

MnDOT sign design sheets are fun--nearly always pattern-accurate with none of that Clearview nonsense.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

M86

Not sure if I've mentioned this at all, but they are considering a Diverging Diamond in Sioux Falls, SD as well... It's at the 41st Street & I-29 interchange.
http://sddot.com/PE/projdev/planning_ss_I29Exit77.asp
There's a link to the study.  It looks like they are considering a SPUI as well.  Knowing that study area well, I would say either would be a huge improvement.
Also within the study, they are considering a center turn overpass at 41st & Louise, or triple left turn lanes.  Either would be a first for South Dakota.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.